on 30 January 2013
This isn't a road trip guide, it is a collection of typical guidebook info about 5 destinations you might visit on a road trip in CA (San Fran, LA, Yosemite, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon) but really naff all about the in-between, i.e. the road. OK, there's a paltry bit of info in the intro to each area re getting to Yosemite from San Fran (for example). We're driving LV to San Fran via the coast. Anything about Death Valley? Sequoia Forest, King's Canyon? Nope. Motels along the way? Nope. Sights along the route? Nope. In fact that big giveaway that this is a repackaging of basic guidebook info they must have from other guides is in the back, where 'travelling by car' comes after 'travelling by train', tragic and somehow hilarious.

Massively disappointing.
on 18 November 2013
This is a good book. I used it thoroughly for a 10 day road trip from Northern Arizona (including Grand Canyon) Las Vegas, Yosemite, Napa Valley CA and San Francisco. It contains enough detail and recommendations in terms of accommodation, places to visit etc, to plan and undertake your trip. It's written as though you're driving from West to East (from California, heading east towards Nevada and Arizona). However, it includes details of each route in reverse too. I did spot some mistakes (for example the section on travelling East out of Yosemite National Park to Las Vegas (via Tonopah)...When they give the reverse of this route (i.e travelling West from Vegas to Yosemite) they seem to have copied and pasted the west to east route again (hope that makes sense).

If you want an 'off the beaten track' type guide then maybe try Rough Guide or Lonley Planet. Useful book on balance (just ignore the mistakes).
on 25 November 2014
Probably my fault, but I found this disappointing. I only looked at the beginning of the preview pages on Amazon, and it's only the first 16 pages which have any colour. The rest is very densely packed text for 600 pages. There are maps and street plans, but they are very unappealing to look at and you need to concentrate to extract the information, whereas the use of colour would have allowed a more immediate grasp of the lie of the land.
I was looking for something to help us decide which coach tour of the area might be better for us, and while this may be very, very useful for independent travellers, containing hundreds of pages of detailed information and advice, it was not really what I wanted. I suppose the "ROAD TRIP" in the title should have given it away.
on 11 August 2013
This book was packed with information but I wish I had purchased paper version rather than kindle as I found it quite hard to read maps etc and I wanted to flit around the book more than I would if I was reading a novel and again this wasn't as easy on my kindle
on 1 July 2014
I initially borrowed this book from the library to see what it was like before I committed to buying. I love it! We are planning our once in-a-lifetime road trip to California next year and it is just the ticket! The right level of detail for us to plan how long we want to spend in each location and helpful pointers to finding out more detail, where required. This is a great book and will be very well-worn once we've finished (the copy I've bought now, not the library one!).
on 1 March 2013
Nice guide book with comprehensive sections of all the tourist destinations If you are travelling other parts of California you will need another guide book like Lonely Planet California
on 8 May 2014
This wasn't the map I thought I was buying and basically helps with what it says on the cover and I assumed with the whole of California. I was rushing to find a detailed map to take with me. It covered Yosemite well and I would urge everyone who loves the big outdoors and wild life to visit Yosemite. It is a marvelous and breath taking experience.
on 7 August 2013
An insightful and useful book for anyone planning a California & Vegas roadtrip. Very specific to this type of holiday though. It has a 14 day plan and sticks to that idea throughout but does offer a lot of info on everything that you may want to see or do so easy to deviate from their proposed schedule if you were there for longer.
on 1 August 2013
I used this constantly on my kindle while travelling through California and Nevada. If I was at a loss of where to eat or how to find things this book had the answers. I can not recommend it highly enough as it covered us from San Fran to Yosemite to Vegas and LA to Disneyland. A very thorough guide with smaller maps of local areas.
on 19 December 2013
Gives lots of info on the various areas/ tourist routes within California. Well grouped together to easily get to any specific area Booked purchased prior to a fly drive holiday to establish areas worthy of a visit. California is such a large area that you need some ideas of locations before going