Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£2.99

on 4 November 2012
Tove Jansson's 'The Moomins and the Great Flood' was her first book about Moomins, originally published in Swedish in 1945. It has only been translated into English since 2005 and now, lovingly, by Sort Of Books in 2012.

Told simply yet magically in just 46 pages, Moominmamma and Moomintroll are searching for Moominpappa and a warm place to live before winter arrives. Along their adventurous way they meet a host of characters; a 'little creature' (a precursor to Sniff), the Great Serpent, blue-haired Tulippa, an 'old gentleman' (who may have inspired Roald Dahl!!!), an ant-lion, the Hattifatteners, mermaids, sea-trolls, a red-haired boy, a mother cat and her kittens, a hemulen, a marabou stork and angler fish.

It's interesting to see that 'Sniff' bears some resemblance in character to that shown in later books; a little timid and a lover of things that glitter!

The book itself looks similar in style to Sort Of Books' other Moomin titles; 'The Book About Moomin, Mymble and Little My','Who Will Comfort Toffle' and 'The Dangerous Journey'. It's lovingly produced with the author's trademark pen and ink drawings and sepia watercolurs which are more ethereal in style. Also featured is a preface from the author written in 1991 and a little history of about her.

A real gem of a book!
0Comment31 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 November 2012
Finally the first ever Moomin story is available in English.
It is a beautiful, tactile, hard bound book, with a subtle, ethereal colour front cover.
The story is full length with inset original illustrations from Tove Jansson and full page sepia coloured plates. As this story was first written in 1945 it is interesting to see how Moonin and the other characters have evolved, both is their character and their appearance. It also includes a short introduction by Ms Jansson herself from 1991 when the book was rereleased in its original language.
A joy to own and an absolute must for anyone who loves the Moomins.
I didn't grow up with the Moomins, but have got into them rather late, in my early forties. I was dimly aware of the TV version when I was a kid, although we didn't watch it. And later on a band-mate called one of his slightly strange instrumentals 'Snufkin In The Forest', leaving me intrigued to know more. But I never followed that up, until now.

I was buying a book for a niece when, browsing through the kids book section, I was seduced by Tove Jansson's work, in particular by her wonderful illustrations, which combine naivety and sophistication in a perfectly balanced and deeply enchanting manner. In the end I bought my niece some gifts, and then decided to treat myself to The Moomins & the Great Flood.

I didn't consciously choose the first Moomintroll adventure, but on getting home and reading it, was delighted to discover that I had chanced upon the first chapter in this beguiling story. The Sort Of edition is very nicely put together, as a medium format hardback with a yellow cloth binding to the spine (not shown on Amazon's product page photo, for some reason). Print and paper quality, font choices, design and layout, etc., are all of a piece with Jansson's gorgeous aesthetic.

The story and the artwork combine perfectly, and can be enjoyed either in their own right or together, and both, like the aforementioned art that drew me in, are a perfectly judged balance of simplicity and artfulness. As a writer and illustrator myself Jansson is now both a pure pleasure to be enjoyed and an inspiration to be learned from. I find almost all of her writing and artwork, albeit to differing degrees in differing instances, entirely and intoxicatingly wonderful.

I enjoyed the Great Flood so much I've now bought Comet in Moominland (which was again bought entirely spontaneously, without knowledge that it was also the chronological follow-up), and I'm planning to gradually acquire the complete comic strip as well. Having already enjoyed some exquisitely pleasurable hours in the company of the delightful Moomintroll and his family and friends, I'm eagerly looking forward to more.

Highly recommended, this can be enjoyed in both adult and child-like states, either for the pure rapture of fairy-tale, or as admiring connoisseurship of great art and storytelling.
on 10 December 2012
Definately a five-star rating - fantastic picture quality, really good size, it arrived incredibly promptly and in a good state, and I enjoyed reading it.
Recent years have seen the publication of some beautifully bound and produced Moomin books, such as The Book About Moomin, Mymble and Little My and Who Will Comfort Toffle?: A Tale of Moomin Valley by Sort of Books. Now we have the gorgeous "The Moomins and the Great Flood". This was, in fact, the very first Moomin story, published in Finland in 1945 and out of print for many years. It is a stunningly beautiful book, nicely bound and complete with original sepia watercolours and pen and ink drawings.

The story is about 60 pages long and begins with Moomintroll and his mother arriving at the deepest part of the great forest, searching for a snug, warm place to build a house in for the winter. It is a well known fact that Moomins cannot stand the cold, so their search is an important one. Along the way they have many adventures, encounter many other creatures and discover the valley they make their home. Tove Jansson created a magical and beloved world and it is a delight to read this first story, so lovingly produced. My children adored it and this would make an ideal addition to any child's bookshelf.
on 9 December 2012
Bought as a gift, but had to read as my children knew and loved the Moomins. I thoroughly enjoyed it,
VINE VOICEon 21 February 2014
Although it may seem a little pricey for what is essentially a rather slight addition to the Moomin canon, long-time fans of Tove Jansson's wonderful Moomin series will welcome a chance to complete their collections with this, the first Moomin story.

Unlike some of the posthumous publications of, say, JRR Tolkein , this was a work that Jansson herself originally published and so we can be sure the work is one the author was happy to see in print. This version, an English language translation, has been made available now, a sure sign of the continued popularity of these timeless creations.

Most pleasing. the very first reference to Moominpappa links him to the mysterious Hattifatteners, the restless sea-wanderers who the Moomins father figure is always been tempted to leave his responsibilities with. Moominpappa, the flustrated soul who wants to provide love and security for his family but also to travel the world with no thought for tomorrow, is born fully formed.

"Finn Family Moomintroll" the first of the classic novel sequence references events in "..The Great Flood" so it's good to finally get the context, only 35 years on; but even without any knowledge of the other books, this well produced picture book is a joy. The pictures show rather primitive forms of Moomin Troll and his parents but all are recognisable enough.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 June 2013
The story remains as fresh as when I first read or listened to them. Revisiting these books has brought me much joy.
on 1 July 2013
Beautiful book, amazing illustrations as always from Tove Jansson. My 6 year old loves reading it and so do I
on 18 April 2013
I have enjoyed reading this again. Purchased this as somewhere in the past I lost my copy and wanted to introduce the Moomins to my granchildren. So far, I haven't read it to them, but have thoroughly enjoyed re-reading it myself!