How did Monte Christo Sace Valentines Life?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Jan 2008 13:30:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jan 2008 12:43:10 GMT
John A. Bell says:
He came into her room and asked her to take a pill and left. Next morning she is dead.

Coroners confrim she is dead, funeral directors collect her body intern it and is buried in the Villeforts crypt.

Its not explained how she then turns up in the final chapter on Dantes Island and is reunited with Morrell.

Dumas never explained how this was or am I missing something

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2008 22:16:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Jun 2008 22:20:44 BDT
Thomas Wade says:
This plot line has been used a lot in literature, an excellent example being Romeo and Juliet: Juliet takes a substance given to her by the priest that makes her appear, to all intents and purposes, that she is dead, whilst she awaits the exiled Romeo. I have also read a similar story-line in a Wilbur Smith book. In fact, the romance of Valantine and Maximillian draws many parralells with that of Shakespear's star-crossed lovers - but with a very satisfying happy ending.

Dumas does not spell everything out, which is one of the things I love about this book, but the clues are there. Throughout the Count of Monte Cristo, we are drip-fed imformation on the Count's aptitude for chemistry; in the chapter "Toxicology" we learn that he has conversed with Madame de Villefort on the subject. Do not forget that the Abbe Faria is also a skilled chemist, and Dantes, as his protege, learns much; he then has nine years and virtually unlimited funds to build on this knowledge. The Count is also adept at mixing substaces for recreational use, as in the chapter "Sinbad the Sailor", which he carries around in a hollowed out emerald. Furthermore, note his comments to Albert and Franz in "Mazzolata", where he reveals a facination with and in-depth knowledge of death. All this suggests that he would have the ability to create a pill that will slow the heart-rate so it is almost indectectible, still the breath, and even bring on a state similar to rigour mortis.

Whether or not this is actually possible in real life, I do not know. However, my advice would be to suspend your disbelief as the conclusion is well worth it.

(Post is by Laura Dudley not Thomas Wade - we share an account)

Posted on 16 May 2011 20:35:51 BDT
My reading of this situation is that the Count decided to simulate Valentine's death in order to further incriminate Mme Villefort, and to push Villefort himself further over the edge of madness. But he (or the author) couldn't decide when to resurrect her - so we have to go through the whole funeral thing, and Maximilien nearly commits suicide etc. In the event he left the reappearance of Valentine far too late: in fact the end of the book is quite badly handled, not only the Valentine episode, but it's also difficult to make any sense of the business with Haydee.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  14 Jan 2008
Latest post:  16 May 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Count of Monte Cristo (Classics)
The Count of Monte Cristo (Classics) by Alexandre Dumas (Hardcover)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (184)