on 29 July 2010
Ok I'd like to start by saying- this is the most addictive psp game I have ever played.

For those new to the franchise, Monster Hunter is a 3rd person rpg style monster slaying game. Sounds simple... and at 1st glance it is. You have various weapons and armour to customize/ power up your character and a list of quests to complete mainly revolving around killing monsters.

It starts out easy enough hunting the raptor like Giaprey in the mountins, but you will quickly discover after defeaing a few of the larger monsters that this game is actually quite tricky. Unless you memorize how each giant monster behaves/ attacks you will find yourself constantly dieing. Your weapon and armour upgrades all of a sudden become essential to complete each quest. And don't think button mashing helps in any way... this game is all about timing... finding the perfect moment to uleash your chosen weapon. Once you get used to it the combat becomes insanely fun.

I was startled at how many options were available in terms of upgrading weapons and armour. Also impressive is the sheer variaty of mosters there are to hunt. Everything looks stunning even by late ps2 standards. I have no idea how they make psp games look this good, it's just baffeling.

I find the learning curve on this game to be quite steep... Iv'e already gotten stuck several times and I'm not what you would call a casual gamer really... I play ALOT of stuff and this is the only game I've played recently that actually challenges me. to defeat some of the trickier monsters you will need to backtrack and item/ material grind in order to power up your equipment... I havnt really found this to be to much of an irritation as I find redoing some of the quests to be brilliant fun. I consider all of this a good thing but maybe the really casual gamers might want to try renting first.

This game has 4 player online co op options which I have yet to try. But every friend I have who ownes the game says this is easily the best part of the whole experience. I'm personally still engrosed in the single player stuff at the moment so I have the "amazing" co-op still to come.

I've spent a long while on this game already and I don't feel like slowing down anytime soon. Some would say MHFU is an aquired taste and I guess I'd agree there. If anything you have just read intregued you then odds are you will find something to like in this game. If monster hunting isnt your thing.... well.. c'mon clues in the title.

Thanks for reading.
on 28 September 2010
better than i expected, always a challenge and the grapihcs are brilliant. plus some downloadable quests which are free and the data install option makes it load faster if you got more than 300mb on your memory card.
on 2 January 2014
Even though I got this game ages ago I am still playing it. It has an incredible amount of monsters, ranging from pink monkeys to elder dragons. The diversity in monsters means that I keep on wanting to play and do not get bored. The setup of the game is great. You can collect items from your own farm and use it to help you create weapons and Armour to help with the tough opposition. The range in weapons and Armour is also amazing and for every monster you kill you can create it's Armour, even most of the insects.

The online is great and I love tackling some of these crazy monsters with friends. The maps are well layed out and there are more and more as you progress through the game. This game definitely provides a challenge, with the three types of missions (Normal, High-rank and G-Rank) you will find yourself with some incredibly difficult quests.

I currently have around 100 game hours which I have accumulated over years as I always love coming back to this game. It really is a PSP essential in my opinion and possibly the most addictive game I have ever played
on 3 February 2013
monster hunter is a very good game that will take up hours of your time. its simple concept makes it easy to understand whats going on and its easy to grasp the controls. the game features brilliant on the edge of your seat game play which you can take on your own or with up to three friends. thought many people think the psp is dead this is a classic game that will bring you back again and again. over all with its huge amount of features such as cats that cook for you your own farm and a wide range of weapons monster hunter is a brilliant game
on 5 January 2011
Since I'm a big fan of the series my opinion is biased.
Although, I would recommend it for any fan of Action RPG who want a game more skill based than number based with a love for Cooperation.
on 26 February 2011
The Monster Hunter series is a very popular thing in Japan. But here in the EU and the states it's an underrated and not all that popular.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is in no way a sequel to Monster Hunter Freedom 2. It's exactly the same game but with more content thrown into it such as more monsters, weapons, items and so on. So if you're planning on starting Monster Hunter on your PSP Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is the game you must buy to get the best experience.

The game looks and sounds great. Monster's and equipment are greatly detailed and the environments are very well designed and the game still manages to keep a stable FPS rate.

There isn't a story in MHFU, you're just a hunter (Which you create and name) from a village who accepts quests from the village elder. You go out in the wilds and finish these quests, collecting items and carving materials off your killed foes to create weapons and armor to make your character more suited to go against even stronger monsters.

Gameplay wise it's an action RPG game but instead of level grinding, you're grinding for materials but that doesn't mean that's a bad thing. The monsters are fierce and challenging and will beat you down if you're not prepared.

There are a few problems with MHFU I'd like to point out.

One being that the camera can sometimes be a little funny with you and make it annoyingly harder to fight.
The other problem is that the only to play multiplayer online is to either use Adhoc Party on the PS3 or use Xlink. MHFU is a game that BEGS for a mode to let you play across the internet but it ain't there. However, if you can get the game working with Adhoc Party (Which I use and works perfectly) or with Xlink then you're experience with the game will greatly increase.

Over all. MHFU is a brilliant game if you can get over the issues it has. If you're looking for a intense, action RPG on your PSP then you should try this game out.

And even though the price is cheap, you'll be getting a really big game out of it.
on 20 April 2011
Great game obviously more fun with friends but its hellishly hard and fun at the same time to ANY monster hunter comming From Tri this is A whole world of difficult compaired to Tri but soo worth it !!
on 7 April 2011
Part RPG, Part Action Game, Part Social Game, Part MMOG...Monster Hunter has it all! The steep learning curve is not felt at all. There's something for everybody in this game.
on 31 December 2013
Game arrived promptly and was brand new, fully packaged.

No issues with the product in any way and enjoy the game. Recommend game to those who enjoy this genre.
on 14 January 2013
Son has said great game has only stopped playing when he goes on line to play other games. So worked out as a good stocking filler!