on 31 July 2006
Having not played a board game with my family in years, I thought this new electronic Monopoly edition would be a fun way of reliving old family memories of this classic game. A variant of last years 70th anniversary "Here and Now" edition, Monopoly "Electronic Banking" takes another leap into the present day by scrapping the cash element of the game altogether and replacing it with pretend credit cards and an electronic cash console developed especially for this game by Visa.

On first play, the results of this update appear to be a timely reminder of modern life: it is now more difficult to keep track of how much money you are actually spending since your credit is kept in check solely electronically, you can no longer see exactly how much cash you have in front of you compared to your opponent. In this game I found I was more willing to splash out on the more expensive properties and hotels purely because there was less physical evidence of my funds.

While this update is a mostly fun (or frightning??) reminder of modern living, my family found the old fun of sitting with wades of £100 and £500 notes while your opponents were slowly going bankrupt was mostly gone and it was often harder to keep track of who was actually winning at any given time. That said, the credit cards and electronic console are very well made and can easily handle transactions between two players, transferring cash between cards instantly.

Also, it appears that the game makers have opted to display a more suburban/residential London on the board this time round. Apart from Oxford Street, London's mighty commercial thoroughfares are all but absent this time around, replaced by uber-chic residences for the ultra-wealthy such as Kensington Palace Gardens (home to the world's most expensive mini-palaces), Knightsbridge, Kings Road and St. Katherine Docks. Fans of the original game may be disappointed that London's traditional West End locations are less-well represented this time round.

Otherwise this is still classic Monopoly, the rules and gameplay remain exactly the same. Traditionalists may find the lack of hard (play) cash a big-miss but there's much fun to be had in the comparisons with modern life this update exploits to the full.
11 comment|238 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 June 2011
As a keen Monopoly enthusiast I jumped at the opportunity to get my hands on this electronic banking edition. The board is the same as the "Here and Now" edition so you can say goodbye to "Old Kent Road" and say hello to "Portobello Road Market".

Firstly, the electronic banking system is practical but not all that satisfying to play with. You get 6 bank cards and a palm-sized device that allows you to transfer money between two cards, add or subtract money from a card. The cards undoubtedly speed up the game but there is no longer that sense of satisfaction when you are collecting wads of cash whilst opponents money reserves dwindle. Also every time you press a button on the device it produces an aggravating bleeping noise. Additionally if you play the "Free Parking" rule you have to have a separate card to put the Free Parking money on.

Otherwise, this is just a standard Monopoly edition with all the same rules applying. Maybe this is just me being old fashioned but I miss the feeling of crisp banknotes at my fingertips and so have since reverted back to my standard "Here and Now" edition. I would recommend this product if you are looking for a quicker and cleaner game but if you are a traditionalist like myself then this edition isn't for you.
on 13 September 2007
I thought that with the so many different Monopoly's out recently, this one would slip by unnoticed.
But I was really wrong!

This is a great version, in my eyes by far the best. It uses credit cards which keep track of the money you own, and includes a credit machine which you use to add or subtract money from your accounts. Children will love to tap in the controls on the credit card machine, it looks quite like a PIN machine.

Also, inflation has finally caught up with Monopoly, with the whole value of money changing. Ownership of the exclusive Kensington Palace Gardens (previously Mayfair) will set you back a cool 2million pounds.

A great improvement on the old version, there are no negatives about it!
on 26 November 2006
I bought this game to see the Electronic Banking, I have all my adult

children at home, anyway 3 of them and myself sat down to play, it was great, no paper money to add up and lose,got them off the computers for 4 hours, it was great Family fun. A WINNER. I'm really glad I bought it.
on 13 August 2006
I think the creators of monopoly have been so clever to think of electronic banking! I bought this game for a laugh but it has just been great fun to play with my son and also there isnt the phaph of counting out all the money!!
on 13 November 2007
We bought this game,as a family game for christmas, but christmas came early, too many cold and wet afternoons!!! We have played this game again and again, we really haven't missed all the sorting of money etc.The only downside to this game is, that if your family get impatient when playing, you really do need a seperate banker! It is quite educational, even though it uses credit cards and a calculator/card machine, it still teaches the basics of money ie; if you haven't got it, don't spend it! It really is a great version of the classic, with a modern twist. Also with the box we had you had a chance to win £1000!!
on 21 November 2007
This is quite a genious way of playing, it stops cheating, stops people hiding there money under the board and most of all makes you realise that monopoly is just as fun without the paper money! I got this thinking it will not have the same feel as the original yet in some ways it can be a lot more fun...meaning you can be a little bit more devious when you play : ) Great buy and a great present!
I have a confession to make...

...I am a cheater. I can't help it! I always cheat at Monopoly. I'll pick up a chance card wanting me to pay fees on all hotels and houses (costing thousands!), and I'll say "Aw no! I've got to pay £[...] for a Drunk in Charge fee!"

I'd also take unauthorised "loans" from the banker.

I can't help it - I love Monopoly and the game makes me so competitive that I'll go to any lengths to win, the irony being, I rarely do!

This version of the game is fantastic. At first I missed the paper cash, but once the game develops and almost every move results in paying a fine to someone, you realise the credit cards are a lot easier.

You don't have to change a £[...] for 3 100's, 2 50's, 5 10's, and 19 5's and 5 1's - it's all there on your card!

One of the first things you'll want to do is turn the volume down on the handheld card machine!

My only niggle is that I am so used to the original titles of the spaces and streets that it feels slightly alien - you soon get used to it though.

This is a great enhancement to a classic game. I still have the old version for posterity, but this is my version of choice now.

And yes, in case you were wondering, as long as you're quick and not too obvious - you can cheat with the card machine! It's so easy to miss a "0" off when you offer to transfer the money you owe someone for landing on their fine collection of property.
on 15 October 2011
This is a great modern take on on the origional game though I do think there should be a volume controle on the card machine as in todays open plan living it is impossible to have a conversation unless you do as I did and tape a wad of tissues over the speaker outlet.
So come on lets get even more up to date and add a volume controle.
on 3 January 2012
My mum bought me this for Christmas and we've played it four times now. Here's what I think. I'll focus simply on the game's fun, educational value and durability.

So first. How fun is this Monopoly game? Well, frankly, I don't see how you can rate it less than 5 stars. I certainly find it the most exciting board-game that I've ever played. It's wonderfully original and the whole aim of the game tells you it's unlike many other games. The object? You have to bankrupt your opponents. Because of this, the game tends to show you who the bad losers are and can lead to arguments. You'll need someone to be the banker who won't budge on the rules. In this way, disagreements can be sorted out quickly and fairly. There's no teaming up in this game - it's each person on their own with their own money! The idea of dealing cash in thousands and millions of pounds adds to the excitement. No longer are we paying tiny little sums for enormously expensive properties! So Monopoly has come into the 21st century. Another added thrill is that you never know what is going to happen. There is a decent load of luck which has been injected into this fabulous game. You never know what you're going to roll and you never know what Community Chest card or Chance card you're going to have to pick up.

As for the educational aspect of the game, I gave it four stars, because I think that the whole subject of financial control can help a person to become better at managing their money in life. Monopoly isn't just a game of luck and anyone who thinks it is has never understood it. Monopoly is also a game of skill, primarily in the art of financial management. You must choose whether or not to buy properties. The decision rests with you how best to make that key deal with another player which could turn the whole game on its head. I love the auctions and the negotiations you can do with other players when it comes to buying their property. For those who don't take advantage of these precious elements of the game, you're missing out on the best part. Monopoly contains a very healthy balance of skill and luck - just like life. Life is filled with the need for weighing up what to do with your money and when to do it. So there is a useful educational aspect to this game.

Finally, the durability. Was there ever a game which has kept people really enjoying it as much as this has? Just think about it. It's the board game by which to measure and judge all others. Monopoly never gets old; it's never boring. It's always a pleasure and every game is completely different to the last. There are skills you can pick up along the way to help you stand a better chance of winning - but don't bet on it! Anything can happen each time. It's incredibly durable and will continue to be. Settlers doesn't stand a chance at surpassing this in the long run.

All this leads me to conclude that, in my opinion, Monopoly is the best board-game you can buy. This Electronic Banking Version isn't likely to be a let down.