- Paperback: 134 pages
- Publisher: Krieger Publishing Company; 2nd edition edition (31 July 1999)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1575241129
- ISBN-13: 978-1575241128
- Product Dimensions: 1.3 x 17.1 x 23.5 cm
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 5,203,341 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Monitors: the Biology of Varanid Lizards Paperback – 31 Jul 1999
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
However, it is very informative, containing much information about the natural habits and ecology of varanid lizards. My main complaint is that the book seems to use V. rosenbergi as it's archetypal varanid; there are some 9 sub genera and several dozen species, and I wish that more attention had been payed to the some of the other varanids. However, this is still one of the few good monitor books that's actually in print, and is worth your read weather you're an academic herpetologist or a keeper (or for that matter if you are thinking about keeping a monitor). It provides insights that are sorely lacking in most other (in print) books, espically in regards to the thermal biology, water useage, and the diet of these lizards. It's easily worth your effort to read it.
The discussions about taxonomy are also great, and informative in regards to how gene sequencing is being used to establish relationships and derivations between species.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Health Issues > Illnesses & Conditions
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Reptiles & Amphibians
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Vertebrates > Amphibians
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Vertebrates > Fish
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Vertebrates > Reptiles
- Books > Science & Nature > Nature > Wild Animals > Reptiles & Amphibians
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Biology > Animal Sciences