on 27 September 2013
Having downloaded the sample to my kindle of both books written by this author I have come to the same conclusion. As they are 3rd party accounts, with the author not really having any direct involvement with the families involved (certainly not in the excerpts I read), then this will just be heresay and not actual factual details. As this lady was 3rd party she will not be privy to 'actuals' but just her interpretations of what she thinks has gone on in the homes of another. I agree that what happened to people within the books were bad, and the stories should possibly be told, I don't think she was the correct person to do so as she was not a health-care professional or had any other involvement (foster carer etc vis a vis the heart-wrenching (but heart-warming) books by the likes of Casey Watson or Cathy Glass), so I don't think that theses books should have been published, as inaccuracies would be abundant and as such people may find it difficult picking the 'wood from the trees'.

Whilst the stories are harrowing, because it is the authors interpretation I am unsure as to how much is actual and how much is her if not twisting the facts exactly interpreting it to 'suit her needs'
on 3 September 2013
Whilst I understand the need for people to report abuse, I had to abandon this book after reading about 20% of it. The book borders on fiction and I felt it had been written for effect rather than concern. I would not recommend this book to anyone.
on 21 September 2013
As a woman who works in the UK with children who suffered abuse. It hard to understand that Kevin (the boy in your book) didn't get any help. I don't say that the system in UK is better.(far from) and I know the child protection system here in the UK makes a lot of mistakes and also is run over by to many cases. I think in Kevin's case (and I like to think so) the police and social services would have taken the child away from the parent very early on. I'm so sad that (as it seem to me) that the people in the US, who should protect the children are so lay back, and for the police, SHAME ON THEM. But I wonder why, when you heard Kevin cry and cream for help, why didn't you go to their door and confront them, and even when you saw Kevin outside the flat, took him in and then phoned the child protection people, surely they had to do something then. I'm not judging you and I know how frustrated you must have been, but I couldn't have listened to his screams night after night without confrontation. I'm glad you wrote a book about it and made people aware how bad and frustrated child protection can be. I will read the next book, as I want to know what happened to Kevin.
on 14 September 2013
I chose this rating as I enjoyed the style of writing, it was gripping and you could feel the hurt of the writer in trying to get a satisfactory assistance for Kevin,to stop his pain, it showed the frustration with neighbours, departments and police in how their hands are tied with having to have actual evidence before help is given. A good read and so glad that Kevin is still here and hopefully no permanent damage
physically or psychologically will come to him. Reporting any abuse physical or mental abuse is important to gain help for the abused as early as possible.
on 17 January 2016
I enjoyed this book very much and I would certainly have reacted in exactly the same way as you Shannon,I only wish that the father could have taken his son away sooner. Maybe he was hoping things would change,get better.Hopefully if now the boy is in a safe stable environment his future will be much better. I cannot help feeling for the mum though as she definitely needed support and guidance,she was still trying to find her way,she seemed relieved when Kevin left with his dad but it would be nice to know that mother and son will one day have a good relationship. Keep up the good work Shannon x Kind Regards. Marian Foot from Essex. Engand
on 14 September 2013
Didn't enjoy this book,not much of a story,just went on and on about the same thing,if I was listening to this going on think the last thing I would think about was writing a book about it
on 12 April 2014
It's a very sad world when people are able to get away with abusing children for so long. The authorities always stress if you think a child is being abused in anyway to report it, but when you read this story you can understand why people don't always report suspected abuse. This why so many poor children suffer and in the worst cases die from the abuse caused. Please please call someone if you think a child is in danger. You might be wrong and hopefully you will be. But if not you could save a child's life.
Shannon the way you have wrote this story is an inspiration. Very well set out and documented.
It's the same old story. You're invited to report criminal behaviour, but you're forever getting fobbed off. In the worst cases, someone's life is at stake, and, in Kevin's story, his mental and physical health is probably going to the dogs. I wish, I wish, I wish that someone would take notice of people when they make a report. It's horrible to be in a position where you're only a neighbour, not a family member of somebody you're concerned about and not getting anywhere, no matter who you call. I can only hope the second book in this story really does clear things up concerning Kevin.
on 10 August 2013
I must admit I had to push myself to read this book once I had got half way through because to me it was mostly supposition and I wanted to know exactly what was happening.
on 12 September 2013
I found this book very interesting to read, I would recommend it to my friends,it makes you appreciate the good/positive upbringing you have compared to some children