Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Sep 2008 16:52:39 BDT
E. Isherwood says:
I've just sat down to watch my Lost in Austen DVD that i got today )bought on pre order) and the scene where amanda sings down town is cut, it goes from the dinningroom scene to them clapping at the end of her singing, has this happened to anyone else?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2008 23:12:14 BDT
S. Wheeler says:
Your not alone!

My "down town" bit is missing also. The only reason I can think of, is they may have had a copyright issue with it and where forced to cut it. :-(

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Sep 2008 10:24:45 BDT
E. Isherwood says:
Oh no!! That was a fantastic scene (althou prob not as good as the darcy-wet shirt- preposal scene ;D
Cheers for replyin, I didnt know if it was just my DVD, I was concidering asking for a replacement!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Sep 2008 12:10:46 BDT
DaisyChain says:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG8zyNz3rhE is a link!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Sep 2008 16:20:42 BDT
E. Isherwood says:
Fantastic!! thank-you!!! especially like the bit where she forgets the words and just La's!!!
Shame they had to cut it becuse of copy-righting =(

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2008 22:04:53 BDT
Gutted that this scene has been cut, dont really want to ask for my money back but so disapointed,, one of the best scenes in the series. never mind i believe it is down to copyright i would have payed a couple of pound extra to keep it in mind.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2008 19:10:29 BDT
roseanya says:
Yes, I bought the dvd also and was going to return it as defective, scene missing and the sense spoilt. From all the comments it seems it wasn't a badly produced batch after all, or are we all assuming it was deliberately cut?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2008 13:13:29 BDT
S. Wilson says:
I couldn't believe such a crucial scene had been cut, it shows that moment when you know Darcy is attracted to Amanda Price. If you check the back of the DVD box, ITV have covered themselves by stating "Certain scenes in this DVD version have been edited or deleted for copyright reasons". You would have thought they would have got this covered before they showed it on TV. I think the ITV should be held accountable and re-issue the DVD showing the whole drama, we should get a refund and be able to buy the complete program.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Oct 2008 16:40:58 BDT
K. Parker says:
Write to ITV - the more of us that do it, will put pressure on them to release this in full. I got a stock answer from them re world showing etc... but one presumes this is not entirely out of their hands - the clip is on YouTube!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Dec 2008 10:21:02 GMT
The reason it's been cut is because of royalties. It affects most programmes (most recent case was csi where they use a who song on tv as the intro track but when it is put on dvd it is an original piece of music). It absolutly sucks and a reason why some series has not been transfered on to dvd (birds of a feather is one example!). If they showed this abroad, this scene would be cut because it would cost too much to show it. Also, if they do repeat it on itv 3/4, then expect the scene to be cut. I loved that scene as well- very funny!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2009 09:37:44 GMT
The scene is there on my copy (bought December 08) so whatever the problem was with copyright, it appears to have been sorted.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2009 19:32:26 GMT
mimihopps says:
Then they should give those who bought the DVD earlier the chance to send in their first disc from their sets to get a new Disc 1 with the scene back in. That would only be fair.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2009 09:45:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Jan 2009 09:46:58 GMT
How do you know if you buy whether you will get a copy with the missing scene? Perhaps Rhiannon could kindly give the playing time of his copy

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2009 20:29:23 GMT
Blackadder says:
I've just bought a secong copy from Amazon, thinking this would have the missing scene, but no it doesn't! It's going straight back!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2009 19:18:01 GMT
did you check with Amazon first before purchasing it? I for one am becoming very upset. They better not pull this on us here in the US, because we will ALL return the item as defective if this happens. you should return it and check the ISBN number for the new version. Do not keep it without the scene. If ITV thinks they can get away with it they will not truly correct the problem.

Posted on 11 Feb 2009 19:24:37 GMT
If people could kindly give us the item number on both the correct version and the incorrect version, this would greatly help! It would be so very much appreciated- thanks.

Posted on 17 Feb 2009 17:16:36 GMT
mimihopps says:
Has anybody tried contacting iTV about something like a disc-replacement program?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2009 03:18:14 GMT
Ruthie Darcy says:
Hi there,

I have checked on a forum on IMDB where someone gave the ISBN number for the corrected copy, including the Downtown scene and the mobile phone ringtone that uses the music from the Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle BBC production. In my DVD copy the Downtown scene is deleted and the ringtone has been changed to a generic tone. Unfortunately they both have the same ISBN number, so it is just pot luck. I have just complained to Amazon, but I don't know what good it will do as this was a Christmas present that I have only just watched. I was completely unaware of this problem till today.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2009 05:54:05 GMT
K. Casey says:
I emailed amazon.uk asking if the DVD currently being sold includes the "Downtown" scene. They were very helpful, they organised for someone in the Fulfilment Centre to physically check. They just got back to me after 5 days to say that the DVD still does not include this scene. So, the DVD (and all overseas transmissions) are cut, only the UK screening has this scene. I'm not sure what DVD those posters had who said they had an uncut one.

Kerry

Posted on 20 Apr 2009 14:00:04 BDT
R. Garside says:
I was rather worried about ordering after I saw K. Casey's post, but I went ahead with it anyway and the DVD arrived with scenes intact. Maybe the fulfilment centre had an older version that hadn't been replaced?

Posted on 21 Apr 2009 02:27:11 BDT
error7zero says:
To "Amazon.co.uk"
Do you now stock the version with Downtown?

Posted on 27 Apr 2009 15:07:31 BDT
I got mine in February and it had the downtown scene in it. I was worried, but I loved the program so much I just had to get it. Never noticed if it still had the ringtone, but that didn't bother me as much as the Downtown scene.

Posted on 2 May 2009 14:03:43 BDT
D.J. Phillis says:
Got my copy on friday (1st May 09) ordered as brand new but dvd wasn't shrink-wrapped, and "down town" is missing me thinks amazon re-sold me a returned copy, which is crap and also could be illegal (why can't they send the returns back to the distributer and not re-sell them, just to p*** everyone off.) it is also now 3 pounds more than what I paid for which is quite dear for me being an Australian Customer, so it's going straight back for a replacement , hopefully the second go will come with "down town" as it's confusing and you don't know what the heck the characters are refering to when they clap and talk.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2009 13:11:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 May 2009 13:11:51 BDT
it's a pity that Amazon don't say they're selling an edited product

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jun 2009 17:21:50 BDT
got an unedited copy at Tesco's for six quid
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  24
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  29 Sep 2008
Latest post:  29 Aug 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Lost in Austen [DVD] (2008)
Lost in Austen [DVD] (2008) by Jemima Rooper (DVD - 2008)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (283)