Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 April 2014
I bought this to share with children at school. Michael Morpurgo write books about issues that people often shy away from. This is a good book that shows the difference between a child brought up in town compared to those brought up in the country. A good little book.
on 15 October 2015
I started reading this story to my four year old but when I got half way through I realised I couldn't continue. The description provided really isn't accurate. Yes minikid goes to stay with his cousins but there is very little about his mischief etc whilst there. Instead this is a story of a dairy cow dying whilst giving birth. The calf is thought to be a lost cause but the children bottle feed him and he survives. Then the calf gets sold at market and sent to be killed.

I read and enjoyed Michael Morpurgo books when I was a child and don't remember many of then being like this one. Yes the dairy industry is a fact of life, but not really one I want to read a bedtime story about and I can't imagine my son going to sleep happily after this book.
I really didn't like this book. I found the characters difficult to like and the stories rather cruel and pointless. I usually love the Little Gem series, but this is the second book by Michael Morpurgo I've read in this series and not enjoyed. I think that Morpurgo is very good at pointing out the cruel realities and problems of life as a child, or life as a child with animals. I have never been a fan of this style of writing and I have not come to terms with it over the years. For those readers who enjoy Morpurgo's writing, this is a gift of a story. I'm just not one of them.
on 16 July 2014
I thought this shapeless, pointless, lacking in any real characterisation and with a rather unpleasant tone throughout. Perhaps the author thinks of that as realism. I suspect it of being written in a hurry, and poorly edited. I cannot see it going down well in other schools. I certainly would not want it in our own.
on 3 January 2015
the book was a gift
on 3 May 2014
This book and the following one have both been bought for a grandchild's birthday which is later in the year. I haven't looked at them so far.