Format: PaperbackChange

on 31 January 2001
I have grown up in the area which Peter Hamilton describes here. And it sounds so cool. I know the dodgy areas in and around peterborough where the story is set, and its quite an amusing excersize to imagine the street gangs and new political landscape for the country being run from my home city. It still felt like home even though it was drasticly different.
This book has cool tech stuff, bio-implants, black-ops warfare and a murder mystery style all wrapped into one. Its Ace. Wish I had neural-nanonics, it would help to pass my degree right now...
Although written a few years ago now all the stuff in it is still very relavent to todays issues, especially about advances in technology, human genering etc. and how we should use it. This is one authors bent on what we might do with some of that power.
I have ready everything Hamilton has writen but this was my first. Its no 'nights dawn', but its still great. This is much easier on the brain than any of the more complex works hes written. and is a great introduction to his writing.
This is the first of three Greg Mandel novels. Mindstar, Quantum Murder, Nano Flower.
0Comment53 of 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 May 2008
I really enjoyed mindstar rising, I found it a refreshing take on the cyberpunk genre. Being set in englans was refreshing and the use of global warming in place of nuclear conflict makes the premise seem more likely. The main character is very much a straight forward military type with added psychic powers. Some people have knocked the book for having flat characters, this isn't something I noticed or had any issue with. There is a fine balance between mystery and action here and it is never dull. Well worth all sci fi fans checking out.
on 14 July 2013
This is the first of Peter F Hamilton's books that I've read and I have to say, it wasn't what I expected! I've never been into Science Fiction but after a lovely meal with Peter (including an awkward discussion about having never read his books) I decided I should give some of his work a go! I actually enjoyed it far more than I thought it would, so it just goes to show, you mustn't judge a book by its genre!
The story is set in post-apocalyptic Britain. Global warming has hit resulting in soaring temperatures and drastic rises in sea levels, altering the country. The land is scorched and all previously low-lying land is now submerged below a metre or two of water. On higher ground the population has become much denser due to the migration of those from low-lying grounds. Not only that, the country has been under the power of the People's Socialist Party, a hard, left-wing dictatorship with a devastating ruling. As you can imagine the country and its people are in a bit of mess. For me Hamilton built the world well, perhaps too well at times. He describes the surrounding environment, habitats, climate fairly often throughout the book and always with precision detail. I prefer to read a book and develop an image of the world in my head through the contextual clues given. I felt as though too much was given to the reader which meant it lost an element of imagination for me.

However, the world that Hamilton creates is perfect for the plot he has lined up. Despite the bleak scene, Event Horizon headed by billionaire Phillip Evans, is returning to England, after years of avoiding the PSP, to help those in need. It seems Event Horizon is just what the country needs to rise again, providing employment and advances in technology beyond the rest of the world. Until, of course, it all starts to go wrong.

A spoiler operation is run against Event Horizon causing chaos. After narrowly avoiding a complete meltdown of the company, Phillip Evans enlists the services of our main character, Greg Mandel. Greg is an ex-soldier from the Mindstar Brigade, struggling to survive after the PSP. His character is clearly defined, coming across as a straight talking, no messing kind of guy. Did I mention his psychic ability? The entire Mindstar brigade had psychic glands implanted; Greg's being telepathy (the ability to read minds). This isn't as straight forward as it seems. Greg's ability to read mind is limited to only being able to tell if people are lying. From there he has to play detective and figure it out. It is for this reason that Phillip Evans hires Greg; he wants to know which of his employees was involved in the spoiler operation

This sends Greg into a case that should have been simple: Interview the staff, use his espersence to find out who was lying, job done. Only it's never that simple. A second attack, terrifying villains, a second-psychic comrade, a gland-enhanced granddaughter and a web of lies keep you guessing right up to the end of this story. Hamilton's plot is well thought-out, with multiple angles all coming together neatly at the end. I like a tidy book!!

Given that this book was written in 1993, 20 years ago, it's slightly out dated. However I didn't feel it detracted from the story at all as long as you kept that in mind. Hamilton's use of technology was inventive and in-depth. Whilst I followed the majority of Hamilton's meaning, I cannot confess to fully understanding all of his technological advances and found some of the descriptions and explanations laborious and at times dull. As a self-diagnosed technophobe, I was never going to understand it all but it was encouraging to find that even those with limited technology knowledge/experience could follow and understand their uses.

I had some issues with Hamilton's characters. The females seemed to be very stereotypical and seeped in sexuality. It was a bit much at times and didn't seem necessary to the story. Also, without giving away any spoilers, Greg's comment regarding his psychic comrade, where he was able to forgive her for letting herself go, was a little off!

All in all, I enjoyed this read! It was an exciting, well paced, near-future sci-fi read that will keep you hooked. I think I'll be trying some of Hamilton's other books!
on 15 October 2006
One of his early books and a good, easy read. Treats the future with a realistic view (especially in light of current politics) and the military aspects were believable and based upon rational actions. Problem with so many sci-fi books using military sub-plots is the total lack of reality when it comes to both military action sequences, dialogue and personalities. As an ex-soldier, you can see real events unfold and he stays away from the "stereotypical" protrayal of ex-soldiers.

If you're politically correct or of the liberal persuasion you won't like it!
22 comments14 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 December 1998
A detective story set in the near future, Mindstar rising is cast against a background of a Britain where the revolution has finished and the People's Constables are no more. The 2nd Gulf war left its scars on many people, one of which is the key figure Greg, one of the few survivors of the Mindstar brigade. Surgical implants of a 'gland' have left Greg with some psychic abilities which aid him in his role as a private detective. This book is one of the most enjoyable reads I had in a long time. Its cyberpunk without the constant net references or an American setting. Buy 3 copies.
on 10 October 2008
This is a book that I never tire of reading.
It may not be the epic of the Reality Dysfunction and Hamilton's later works but the Greg Mandel universe is a great one to immerse oneself in.
So many interesting ideas come together for the first time: The Warming and the impact of the environment, the alternative UK future, the weapons tech and the hotrodding.
It's a fun universe and one that I keep coming back to. I'm sure Peter Hamilton does not think this is his best ever book but I think it's an absolute classic and one that I'll read again!
on 11 August 1999
The ten year rule of a far left government and global warming have taken its toll on Britain. The economy is just starting to kick into life again, but who is trying to sabotage Event Horizons plan to make Britain great again ?. Enter Greg Mandell a psi enhanced ex soldier with a decidely shady past. I enjoyed this book immensely. It romps along at a fair old pace with some stunning set pieces . Recommended.
on 16 January 1999
Having just finished reading The Reality Dysfunction and Neutronium Alchemist I couldn't believe that I had missed picking up these books before. This is his debut novel and is excellent with good characterisations, beleivable technological developments and a very British setting.
on 25 August 2014
“Minstar Rising” is the first book in a three-book series called The Mandel Files, centring on a private detective called Greg Mandel. He and his associates have some heightened, mind controlling abilities to assist their work; in this instance, having being hired by a private corporation to investigate espionage on a number of fronts by persons unknown. The novel is complete in itself, with Mandel’s team satisfactorily concluding their business by the end of the book. The timeline is near future, set in an ecologically devastated England, following a localised civil upheaval.

I’m a very big fan of Peter Hamilton and looked forward to the release of this novel in e-format. As with all his works, the science fiction aspect is fairly flawless and consistent. His characters are well-developed and his location settings are descriptive and identifiable. And his ideas here aren’t dated, due to the book being published way back in 1993. However, on finishing the read, I was left a little disappointed around the crime story itself. There was noting clever or intriguing about the premise and it seemed to take a secondary role to the science fiction elements – a great pity. Notwithstanding my small criticism, I will be reading the other two books in the series.
on 23 January 2000
The "Warming" is here. The Nene is the Mersey of the East and Peterborough a sprawling metropolis of foreign and domestic industry. Enter an ex-solider with an enhanced "Psi" capability and the tale begins.
This booked added a dimesion which rarely is seen. A science-fiction novel that is based in a place where no-one else would set one, namely Rutland, South Lincolnshire and North Camdrigeshire. This story has twists and turns with a compelling urge to keep reading. A very good book.