Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 May 2013
It does what it says on the tin! Literally! I bought this book as I was intrigued as to how Doyle is succinct in his delivery. It took me 3 sittings to read this book and Doyle makes an interesting and thought provoking read. No in depth philosophy on life, no mentioned of religion, and certainly no ideas on who and how to be...

The book is simply attempting quite successfully on how to stop worrying (about the past, perhaps what may happen in the future), and to enjoy the present through giving your brain a rest! Easier said than done, however, he puts a good case across in basically using a quick form of meditation (and no, no whale music or sitting legs crossed on a meditation cushion is required). We go about our daily lives without actually living them in the full awareness that the present deserves. In doing so, it relieves our brains of the voices we all hear incessantly about the past and worrying about the future. For me it reminds me of being aware. Awareness is something that we all lose leaving childhood, that is the simple things in life that we start taking for granted as we reach adulthood and beyond. Oh to relive the wonder and amazement that children experience! Well, actually you can! Being aware and mindful daily does bring about a comforting and self well being euphoria, practicing is believing!
on 1 January 2013
Succinct, yet warm, accessible yet meaningful. For these reasons this is by far the best book on mindfulness i have ever read. Highly recommended; do yourself a kindness and buy this wondeful little book.
on 14 July 2013
As far as overviews into mindfulness go, this book does well. It is clear and concise in its delivery making the text readable and accessible for all, not just academics.

Doyle has broken down the subject of mindfulness into bite-size, manageable topics making it easy to take in the information provided. The sub-sections in which these topics are placed provide a gradual path that takes you through brief explanations and applications for real life. They also provide handy reference points if you're looking to skim read this book for the sections you require.

However, for me as a novice within this area, I found this book created more questions than it answered. The more I read the more I wanted to question, and that subsequently led to me challenging the concept of mindfulness - something I'm sure the author did not intend. I think the topic of mindfulness brings up many queries as it is being discussed, and although Doyle touches upon some of them, I found myself seeking bigger, greater explanations. As the title suggests 'Plain & Simple' Doyle was obviously trying to avoid complex discussions and explanations. Unfortunately his approach wasn't quite indepth enough for me.

As a starting text I would recommend this book for anyone. Given that it's short in length, basic and provides an outline, it will certainly provide you with enough of an insight to decide if you wish to pursue further texts. If you're looking to read this book to further your knowledge, this just isn't the text you're looking for!
33 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 November 2012
I bought this book because I was interested in mindfulness but didn't want to get bogged down in something long difficult and expensive.

This book is really good (I think).

Its certainly better than two others I have subsequently bought. One approaches mindfulness as if you had particular problems - which I didn;t relate to - to solve. The other was just a kind of word processor: there were lots of words but not much meaning - and this was from a prolific "mindfulness author".

This book has had good results for me so far in prosaic things (like sleeping better) and I am expecting more....
on 13 June 2013
I found this book impossible to put down and at a time in my life where I question everything I thought was lacking, it made me mindful of how fortunate I am; and that happiness and peace come from within and have always been there. The exercises are explained easily and as a mental health nurse I feel I can share with my patients what I practice at home. A peaceful skill for life, that shuts out the negative noise from our chattering brains.
on 22 April 2015
I bought this book because I am going through a terrible period in my life and need sources of inspiration. My counsellor had talked to me about Mindfulness and so had my GP, therefore I decided to give it a try. I think that there are some good points in it but is it the book that has inspired me the most lately? Not really. The author is clearly very knowledgeable and very enthusiastic about Mindfulness and although I think that I need to live more in the present, especially right now, there are other things I need like having goals that I aspire to outside of this storm that I seem to be living with 24/7.

The concept that others are very well as they are has its merits but in a relationship, especially in an intimate one, I think that we have to grow towards one another without coercion but because you want to become a stronger couple. In my case I was being abused and of course I could have ended the relationship right there but I chose to stay and to work at ending the abuse and bringing the relationship back to the wonderful relationship it was once upon a time. Ok, it didn’t work but at least I don’t feel that I didn’t try.

As far as humans attacking those closest to them the author is forgetting lions, for example, where the males will kill the little ones because they want to be fed first or want undivided attention from their mate. There is a lot of cruelty in the animal world too, the only difference is that we have a brain that should tell us how to live differently while animals rely solely on their instinct. I also don’t believe that all our suffering is created by us, sometimes we are caught in situations we can’t easily get out of. On chapter 7 the author tells us how we create this unhappiness and he goes on to say that our mind will start to rebel against his ideas, which mine did, and implies that it is because we are not taking his suggestions on board. I still believe that sometimes we have to put up a fight so that we can move on to a happier life. That said… we have to pick up our fights carefully, otherwise our lives become hell and we will be indeed creating our own unhappiness! As far as the concept that it is wrong to expect other people to change in order for you to be happy, as I said, in some cases that is necessary or else people should go separate ways. That said I have never got into a relationship expecting someone else to change for me, but due to the abuse either he chose to change or else the relationship had to end, after I had lived with it for far too long! That said… I really have to do some of the exercises and try to stop my mind from going over terrible events day and night! I have thought long and hard about everything and it is time now that I put my mind to rest for my own sanity!

As far as the projections and fantasies about the future… I much prefer the approach of the law of attraction. Plan what you want then let it rest and wait for the Universe to do the rest! What I don’t want to do is to stop living the now in order to wait for what may come!
on 18 March 2013
I bought this book as I felt I was beginning to fret over unnecessary daily things. The reason this bothered me is that I consider myself a relatively 'aware' person and don't usually experience worries about the future or anxieties concerning where life is heading.

So for me, I wanted a straight forward book to help anchor me once again and this is exactly what the doctor ordered. I like how Oli Doyle writes, it's nice, fluid and not 'preachy' in any way.

A lovely book that reminded me to keep life simple and not allow the mind to run riot. I think this is a great book for beginners interested in mindfulness or for those, like me, just needed a little nudge to remember where the land lies.

I definitely recommend this book and worst case - you're 77 pence lighter.
This book is one of my very best reads to date.
I could highly recommend it to anyone. A must read for anyone on the Mindful Journey or who needs help becoming free from anxiety or depression or the book is an excellent read for the Professional who works with .....
MBCT (Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy)

STEVE HAINES COUNSELLOR EFT
on 30 April 2013
Very easy to understand but also has depth in the explanation of mindfulness. The exercises are simple to follow. Suitable for complete beginners and more experienced meditators. The author writes from his own experience of using mindfulness and from teaching others.
on 13 May 2013
Excellent service by the seller quick delivery.

I am very interested in this topic and I have purchased several books on this topic, also buddhism, psychology, health, happiness, wellbeing, etc and i think this is one of the straight forward no nonsense approaches that I personally think is helpful to the reader. I am also very interested in NLP - Neuro Linguistic Programming - and generally the way the mind works and ways to improve oneself and train ones mind to have a better understanding and awareness of ourselves, the world and the environment around us. The reason I mention this is that I feel this book helps to contribute to that learning so if this is the type of topic you are interested in then I recommend giving this a go. It's a short book in comparison to many and it's a good price and a very interesting and thought provoking read.