Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 December 2003
I adored Milly-Molly-Mandy stories as a little girl, and now, 25 years later, I rediscovered them for reading to my daughter. I wondered if, at 4, she was a little too young to enjoy Joyce Lankester Brisley's (now) rather old fashioned style of writing, but how wrong could I be. We read a chapter a night, and although there's more narrative than conversation, the simple, sweet stories and beautiful illustrations have captured my daughter's imagination, often making her laugh out loud. This book is a joy to read together and as we're now on the last chapter, I'm just about to order the other three volumes. I'm particularly delighted that Puffin have retained the charming illustrations that I loved so much as a child. Buy it - Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories will enchant adult and child alike.
on 22 December 2003
I loved Milly-Molly-Mandy as a child and was delighted to rediscover her to read to my own daughter. At 4, I wondered if she was a little young to enjoy the now rather old-fashioned style with less conversation than some more modern books, but Milly-Molly-Mandy's adventures with her friends and family have captured my daughter's imagination and this has become her favourite book. Each simple, sweet chapter makes perfect bedtime reading and I'm particularly delighted that Puffin have retained the original, beautiful illustrations. A joy for adults and children alike.
on 24 August 2010
This is one of the books I learned to read over 70 years ago, so I was delighted to find that it was still available. My little 5 year old granddaughter is just growing out of picture books with simple stories and I find it difficult to find something for her age group. She loves being read these stories as much as I did when I was her age.
on 20 February 2005
A friend of mine called who lives in London gave Milly Molly Mandy to me. I got this book when I was three and I'm still going to be reading it when I'm 25 years old. There are lots of stories to make ourself happy and joyful. My name is Fiona Alice Hitchcock, I am aged six and a half. The special thing I like about Milly Molly Mandy is that she has short, strait hair. I wish I could read more stories by Joyce Lankester Brisley.
on 2 August 2009
I recall enjoying these stories in primary school as a child and I have just started ordering the series for my 7 year old daughter. Not only does she love reading them, but also having them read to her as a bedtime story.
'Milly Molly Mandy Stories' is the first book in the series that my daughter received and as soon as we had finished reading it together she asked for the next book in the series!
The stories are simple but prove that true pleasure often comers from the simplest of things that occur in everyday life. The pleasure from making things as presents for others, the joy of sharing with friends, the respect shown for nature, the responsibility taught to a little girl to think of others as well as herself. Ordinary situations can be wonderful opportunities for learning about how to gain the most out of life.
I recommend this book (and the others in the series) to any parent of young children (probably more suited to little girls than boys)and also for anyone wishing to give a treasured gift to any small child.
on 9 May 2012
When I recently cleared my childhood family home I came across a very well read Milly Molly Mandy book, i passed it to my youngest son of three (7years) and explained that it was my favorite book as a child. He happily read the stories at bedtime for a week, then one day brought the book back down with tears on his face. When I asked what was wrong he simply stated, that he wanted to be Milly Molly Mandy. I gave him a hug, explaining that was why everyone loved the books, and to use the stories to dream lovely dreams, and managed to get him back to sleep with the promise of making some lemonade. So that's my review, Milly Molly Mandy books are delightful and inspiring, even for rufty tufty, tree climbing,football playing, and to be honest quite rude sometimes, little boys.
As a child I loved the Milly-Molly-Mandy stories and now my own daughter enjoys reading the stories herself. In this first book we are introduced to Milly-Molly-Mandy, her family, friends and the lovely little village she lives in. These are gentle, sweet and heart warming stories and perfect for a child to read alone or to have read to them. My little girl loves the stories where Milly-Molly-Mandy keeps shop and when the teacher comes to stay the best. In an ever changing world, it is delightful to find these books still as they were originally published, including the map of the village and Milly-Molly-Mandy's striped dress. These are truly delightful books and still relevant today as they deal with universal themes of friendship, growing up and doing everyday things children can relate to.
on 23 February 2004
Well i had this book read to me when i was 4... and im still reading it at 17. I read it to my little sister.. now 5.. and she, like me loves it.
The vocabulary and tone of the book is perfect for all ages. You cant find any book like it.. its one of a kind.. and will stay with you forever..
i can still remember the line from every story.. "with father, and mother, and grandma and grandpa..."
sweet memories.. :)
on 9 December 2011
We've just started chapter books with our 5 yr old, and this is her favourite. The stories are incredibly gentle and heart warming, very little jeopardy, but she loves them. The old fashioned surroundings, the book was written in 1928, mean you have to explain some things, and the stories are often structured around repeated lists of people or objects. This and the tranquil nature of the plots mean they're not the most exciting things to read aloud as an adult, and I'm looking forward to graduating to other stuff. But you can't argue with the fact that she loves them and is now hooked on having a chapter of something every night.
on 1 July 2013
My grandson is just starting to read so it is great to have a book with lots of illustrations, especially the street map in the front so we can keep checking where they all live.