on 23 August 2013
I now own all three Tauchmeister watches to this 'square' design in the TO143- 148 range, but unfortunately this one has proved troublesome. Although they all have the same casing and strap design the three movements are quite different and all three are offered either with black face and strap, like this one, or with green luminous face and brown strap.

Obviously I would not have bought all three if I had not been pleased with this design. I will not repeat what I said in earlier reviews of the TO143 and 148 variants, which can be read on here. This TO145- 146 version has a Swiss Ronda Cal30. 515 quartz movement whereas the others have Japanese Miyota designs. So far, the Miyota powered models have worked well, but although 'Swiss made' still has a certain 'cashe', unfortunately my 'Ronda' movement stopped working after three months and it has had to be replaced. It is a plastic affair that does not look at all robust and I'm not convinced Tauchmeister are sufficiently careful when assembling movements into their watches.

On this variant there is only one 'protected crown' and the novel 24 hour hand is a bit fiddly to adjust. A 24 hour dial needs to be large for its markings to be clearly read, which this one, set inside the 'normal' 12 hour dial, isn't, though I suppose it may be useful for recording a second time zone- or for distinguishing night from day if you are not quite sure about that!

These are weighty watches and have a beautiful 'machined' appearance. They are perhaps a bit fancy for real under water work and anyway I would not use a watch with a leather strap in that way. Although this one is rated to a full 200 metres it relies upon its protected crown and a very thin rubber 'O' ring inside the rear cover, though this cover is a well made screw on type.

Overall, we have here a very nicely made machined steel watch but it's fitted with an inexpensive plastic bought in movement that does not seem worthy of it. All models in this range were originally marketed at 149 euros but from August 2013 have been made available for about £89, at which price they are surely good value- though only if they keep on working!