Mighty Bright Blue Ultrathin LED Book Light
Package Quantity: 1Style Name: styloChange
Price:£9.50+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

VINE VOICEon 27 January 2012
I've gone through a few, quite a few.
M&S lite, Waterstones, Pocket Book lite and the useless 'If Really Tiny LED Night Reading Book', all awful in practice!

The problem with the little stick like lights is that they use tiny batteries, which last about an hour.
Painfully they also don't illuminate both pages or allow the book to be close with them attached.

I bought this unit as it uses substantially powered CR2032 batteries - bought for 99p a card on Amazon BTW.

In use the light illuminates both pages, is super sim and the book will close with it still attached unlike the stick things
and I've now used it for two weeks, an hour a night on the same batteries!

Marvellous - I can't recommend this enough.
I shall buy a second unit as a spare in case I can't get them in future, its that good.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 5 July 2012
Smashing piece of kit that allows me to read at night on holiday without disturbing my wife.
I have not had any problem with the hinges (as reported by others). It stays firmly in place once set.
Batteries seem to last for about 8 to 9 days of heavy use before requiring replacement.
on 18 October 2011
Bought this for my son for reading at night in a place where good lighting isn't available. It's small, light-weight (ouch!) and bright. Does the job, and does it well.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This product is a nice little reading light and by and large does the job I bought it for well enough. I wanted a reading light to accompany a new Kindle (until Amazon's range of lighted cases come out in late November), but also to provide a bit of extra illumination for bedtime reading of print books. The light is nicely made, provides a good amount of bright white light from a single LED, and has an ultra flexible neck to allow maximum variation in positioning. The fairly big and robust-seeming clip works really well for use with case-mounted Kindles and hardback books.

The light isn't so good for use with paperbacks - the clip is much too big and bulky to use on the book without causing significant damage, but isn't heavy or flat enough to be used as an improvised stand. This, I feel, is a pity. Having seen very positive responses to this light's battery source, I was disappointed to find that the supplied battery was exhausted by less than half an hour's reading. Hopefully, this speed of battery use was just down to the low capacity of the supplied battery - and the fact that having been pre-installed meant the battery had been significantly depleted by the time the light reached me.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 6 October 2010
I have tried 4 book lights trying to find the perfect one for my Kindle and this is it!

It lights up the whole of the 'page' with good, bright coverage and no 'spotlight' effect on the screen.

The neck is very flexible and you can position it to your desires. I did find when clipping it onto the Kindle cover (Amazon's non-lighted one) it wouldn't sit in between the Kindle and cover as it's too bulky, I clipped it to the spine backwards and bent the neck/light backwards over the screen and could use it just fine that way and also close the case and keep the light attached to it.

A perfect price and in my favourite colour too! Definitely a must have for your Kindle and paper books!
on 3 January 2012
Bought ostensibly for my Kindle. Clip isn't the best for Kindle, it's a narrow peg-like grip so not ideal . I use it clipped to a thin plastic drawer now, behind bed pillows. . Excellent build and super-adjustable arm. Feels well made.

TOP TIP! I found it too bright for white paper in v dark room. So I cut a rectangle of that shiny brown packing tape and stuck over the mightybrite's lens. Result- very subtle colour gel effect. Now the light is bright enough but arguably lesss harsh and a more natural amber/rosy-ish glow, nicer on the eyes.
on 27 November 2010
Mighty Bright Light Duet

A very good product BUT do not buy the mains power supply advertised because the Mighty Bright Light Duet will only work on batteries!
on 23 January 2011
It is a very good little device, great for travelling or in bed. And reading where ever it is dim or unable to read clearly, I recommend this item that has a Kindle to buy one.
on 3 January 2012
Comprises 3 parts:

A plastic case a little larger than a AAA battery, which clips onto your book using a plastic clip sprung with a powerful steel spring. An AAA battery powers the light. A simple but clever spring-loaded catch holds the cover firmly in place but allows for a very quick and easy battery change.

A thin, flexible tube made of metal that can be bent into shape to angle the light carefully. Ankered at each end by a plastic sleeve.

The LED housing. On one side (typically facing down at your book) a rectangular, clear plastic prism-like window under which sits a single high-intensity white LED. On the other side, a plastic switch offering just 'on' or 'off'.

Started flickering within an hour. Tried a new battery. Flickering became more severe over the following hour, including complete outages of a few seconds. Tried wiggling the battery, wetting the terminals, flexing the tube (to see if a wire or joint was at fault) and switching off and on in case the switch contacts were tarnished. None of this made any difference.

LEDs need more than 1.5 volts to work. This means these lights either have three standard AA or AAA cells (heavy), 3 button cells (not as available, low capacity so expensive) or a single cell with a simple circuit of 3 components to step up the voltage. This has the latter, housed in the battery compartment. I think the flickering was due to a faulty component on this circuit. I had thrown the packaging away so couldn't return it so I attempted a repair. The circuit was sealed in though so I ended up snapping the plastic to get it out!

I did discover whilst dismantling the unit that it is much tougher than it looks. The plastic is thick, the switch is a proper PCB type switch albeit operated by a plastic lever on the lamp housing and I was left quite mournful that something that was otherwise so well built had failed.

Buy one but keep the packaging til it's been running satisfactorily for a few weeks. I stupidly assumed that if it worked from the start, it would keep on working so I would never need to keep the packaging for returning it. My light is in hardware heaven now (well, in my bin in little pieces really). I think I was just out of luck. I'll just have to make do with my bedside lamp now :(
on 1 August 2010
Yep it does what it says on the tin, it's brilliant - I like it and think it's good value

See one answered question