Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Sep 2013 17:45:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Sep 2013 18:09:05 BDT
Tester says:
There are currently circling rumors that the game might be cut/censored, apparently 2 scenes are affected by censorship in contrast to the US version.

Please keep this topic updated, so everybody can see what the're getting

http://www.schnittberichte.com/news.php?ID=6157

Unfortunately in German only

Edit: Please read nici2412's post from September 29th in this thread for the most recent development. Apparently, neither the US Version nor the EU version will be uncut. While we have to do without some graphic violence in Europe, the US version will miss some nudity.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Sep 2013 00:58:45 BDT
Ibrahim says:
are you sure its cut/censored only in Germany? :s

Posted on 28 Sep 2013 14:41:30 BDT
Tester says:
No, the article is only in German, I didn't find an English one.
Apparently Sony up to now has only released ONE version of their games for Europe. So if it's censored/cut in Germany, it consequently will be so in the rest of Europe, too. I will update this as soon as more details are released.

Posted on 28 Sep 2013 14:49:33 BDT
Ibrahim says:
thanks mate! :)

Posted on 28 Sep 2013 17:36:25 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Sep 2013 17:36:47 BDT
Geo says:
Do you mind explaining what exactly is rumored to have been cut, for those of who don't read german?

Posted on 28 Sep 2013 17:59:57 BDT
kirsten1967 says:
Denn wie nun bekannt wurde, soll die deutsche Version in zwei Szenen abgeschwächt sein. Dies wurde Bluplay.net von Sony mitgeteilt.
Welche Szenen aber genau betroffen sind, lässt sich aktuell leider noch nicht sagen.

The german version of the game will be censored, the articel doesnt mention anything about that applying to other countries.
They didn´t say which scenes were affected.

Posted on 29 Sep 2013 00:11:26 BDT
Tester says:
I am sorry Kirsten, but if you had read the article carefully, you would know that it DOES mention the fact that ALL of Sony's previous releases (not all PS3 games but all games in which Sony itself is the publisher) for Europe were one and the same, no matter if UK or German, Austrian, whatever (for example The Last of Us, God of War, and so on). So it automatically affects ALL European versions, as there is no indication that Sony would deviate from its release strategy.

Also, one of the cut scenes (for the second there is no information at all) is indeed described, this is a possible SPOILER:

***SPOLIER***A scene in which your character kills a doctor with an iron/metal pole is reduced in its graphic violence.***SPOILER***

So please, while I am thankful for every contribution in this thread, please keep your facts straight. And I say again: THIS IS NOT YET OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED

Posted on 29 Sep 2013 12:36:03 BDT
kirsten1967 says:
The article mentions that Sony is known for publishing one version for the entire EU region, but it´s not confirmed yet that this will happen with Beyond, too.

Welche Szenen aber genau betroffen sind, lässt sich aktuell leider noch nicht sagen.
Maybe you read another article, but there is no way you could translate this as
***SPOLIER***A scene in which your character kills a doctor with an iron/metal pole is reduced in its graphic violence.***SPOILER***

Posted on 29 Sep 2013 14:32:30 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Sep 2013 14:36:41 BDT
nici2412 says:
There are some new information about possible censorship. Spielegrotte.de is writing(freely translated):

"According to our information, the european versions of Beyond Two Souls will be minimal cut in two places, in terms of showing too much violence. It concerns all european versions. The us version will be minimal cut in terms of showing to much nudity(erotic potrayal is the exact translation i think). So there will be no uncut version anywhere in the world."

http://spielegrotte.de/index.php?subkat=173&kat=100080&anr=48651&hb=6

Posted on 29 Sep 2013 17:11:11 BDT
Tester says:
@kirsten: well of course you should have read not only the article on schnittberichte, but also their source where the scene is mentioned in detail (more detail than I wrote here, I did not want to spoil anyone too much)

@nici: thanks for the news, although it's bad news

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2013 18:08:06 BDT
Ibrahim says:
yes indeed >;(

Posted on 30 Sep 2013 19:04:55 BDT
Geo says:
True to form the war-mongering Americans kept the violence & gore in their version but removed the apparent nudity, which remains in the EU edition. While i'm not happy about any form of censorship, I'm glad to be a European, where love and sex is respected instead of America's perverse infatuation with killing and maiming other human beings.

Posted on 1 Oct 2013 09:11:26 BDT
SilentBob says:
EU version cuts are confirmed. They were made to get a PEGI 16 rating. I don't care if they are minimal alterations as Sony claims; I'm not going to support censorship and will cancel my pre-order now.

Source: http://sceuncut.tumblr.com/post/62430932818/beyond-two-souls-october-2013-censored-in-the-eu

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2013 12:52:33 BDT
Dark Zentai says:
in that case get a American copy from amazon.com the ps3 is multi regional

but really it only two 5 seconds bits 10 seconds in total of gameplay and its not cut its edited slightly to be in line with a PEGI 16 rating to help sales
nothing has been removed
think of it like this the lower age rating means more people can buy it meaning more sales meaning more chances of more games like this being made in the future
is it not worth it if we get more games like this in the future
or would you really want games like this to stopped being sold or made in the EU for 10 second of edited gameplay cos it did not get the sales
think about it support the niche games like this or may lose them
its going to a great story 10 second edit or not
but its just a thought its your loss if your cancelling for 10 seconds

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2013 13:11:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Oct 2013 19:55:37 BDT
SilentBob says:
I know that Sony made the cuts because they expect bigger sales that way. That doesn't justify censoring the creator's vision for the game in my opinion. I'm not even sure that it even works that way. There will be 16 and 17 year olds buying the game and 18+ year olds like me will not buy the censored version.

And have you seen the sales numbers for the PEGI 18 GTA V? Doesn't look like it is even necessary to go for a 16 rating to sell a game.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2013 19:32:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Oct 2013 20:07:54 BDT
Dark Zentai says:
you can not compare the sales of a triple AAA title like GTA V with niche title beyond two souls
I think it does justify 10 second edit because one simple reason it is sonys money at risk not yours
as much I would like to see no game cut and sony likes to stay out the creator's vision they need to make it pay as that is the whole reason they are making it

they could take the risk with the last of us because they could sell it off uncharted and naughty dogs reputation
but no has heard of quantic dream

you may not even see the edited bit depending on what choices you make in the games
if 10 seconds get the extra sales to makes the next heavy rain or beyond two souls happen then it worth it

but I bet you can,t find the edited bit without going online to find out where it is
plus you think 10 seconds is bad wait and see what they do to the Australia version
also take a little look at a game call mugen souls and see much they had to cut to get the censor to even think about letting it be on sale

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2013 19:54:58 BDT
SilentBob says:
GTA is triple A, so is Beyond: Two Souls. This is not a small indie game. Sony put considerable marketing power behind this in a way that is reserved for triple A titles. Yes, it will not sell as well as GTA. But that isn't the point. The point is that an 18 rating doesn't prevent good sales.

I would argue that GTA appeals much more to a younger audience than a Quantic Dream title. The QD games are usually slower and more focused on storytelling which tends to be a style more appreciated by older gamers, though Beyond seems to be more action-focused.

And people haven't heard of Quantic Dream? Come on! QD is not Rockstar, but they are hardly a company that is not known. Certainly not after Heavy Rain.

If you want to buy the EU version, that is your decision, but I will not knowingly support censorship. The changes might be small this time, but every EU copy sold is a reason for Sony Europe to do this again. Sony USA obviously has no problems with getting an M rating, which is the equivalent of PEGI 18.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2013 20:54:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Oct 2013 21:05:53 BDT
Dark Zentai says:
I think Beyond Two Souls is more a single A or double AA title
I agree with GTA you got the old chest nut of kids play it when they should not be like COD as mummy has got it for them
and I would agree Two Souls is more of an grown up title as I would say you need the right mind set to enjoy Quantic Dream games
but I would argue it has a smaller audience and with a smaller audience is less money
sony are not editing it for no reason and just trying to get the few extra sales and ever sales counts

you see I am an older gamer and over years I have seen the games I love die because of games like COD ,FIFA and GTA taking the interest of making other games away
and I see anything that may help keep the games I love alive as a good thing even if it edited a little
why spend the time to make games with great storys or amazing rpg or games like this then you can just pump out same game like COD or FIFA again year on year
and if your not helping to support the smaller titles your helping to kill them
your stand against censorship maybe helping kill games like this as less sales is less money and less reason to make more games like this again
and game companies judge most thing by money

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2013 21:04:02 BDT
SilentBob says:
Fortunately Kickstarter is doing wonders for RPG and adventure games and other types of games that got sidelined by first person shooters. Lots of potentially good stuff coming up this year and next.

"sony are not editing it for no reason and just trying to get the few extra sales and ever sales counts "
I don't agree with that statement. Heavy Rain sold well (not GTA numbers, but everyone seemed to be pleased with the numbers) and it was rated PEGI 18. Beyond is rated M in the US. Only Sony Europe felt the need to make cuts for a lower rating aiming at a demographic that arguably won't be particularly interested in the game.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2013 21:29:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Oct 2013 21:31:33 BDT
Dark Zentai says:
if heavy rain sold so well why was the other 3 dlc planned cancelled
I give Bandai as an example we all wanted tales of xillia but we got tales of grace f instead
but rpg players decided to support it any way to show them their is still a market even though we did not want it as much and it worked we got tales of xillia the game we demanded and as we all know it sold out every where with a two mouth restock wait
and now we are getting more titles we want because we showed them their is money here

the point is if you abandon it for a 10 second edit your giving them reason not to make more but if support it then give them feedback and you may get what you want next time as its to late change the EU version of Beyond Two Souls now

Posted on 1 Oct 2013 21:56:59 BDT
SilentBob says:
No idea why the DLC was cancelled (though I don't like DLC and am not sorry about the cancellation), but it did sell well. http://www.gamefront.com/heavy-rains-100m-sales-a-good-sign-for-the-future/

Who said I'm abandoning the game? If the US version is uncut, I'll get that instead. But my money won't go to Sony Europe. And I did let them know that their decision to censor the game for a lower rating is the reason why I won't buy it.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2013 22:12:32 BDT
O. Lochner says:
Hey Guys, now it's official - also the American version won't be uncut:

http://www.schnittberichte.com/news.php?ID=6177

Google Translate will be your friend:)

Posted on 1 Oct 2013 23:30:07 BDT
Dark Zentai says:
call me silly but if the american and EU version are now cut does that not make it uncut for both of us
as we are both getting the same version
have people panicked for nothing

Posted on 2 Oct 2013 00:33:49 BDT
Keiyuu says:
No, the EU and US versions will have different cuts.
But it's still not confirmed by Sony if the US version will be cut. The source was the German online retailer spielegrotte.de, but I'd rather wait for an official statement.

Read this for the whole story:
http://sceuncut.tumblr.com/post/62430932818/beyond-two-souls-october-2013-censored-in-the-eu

Posted on 2 Oct 2013 06:13:10 BDT
SilentBob says:
Yes, cuts to the US version are not confirmed. According to the Sony statement about the EU version the only differences between US and EU versions are the cuts made to the EU version. That could mean that the US version is uncut or that cuts made for the US version are also in the EU version which has additional cuts. Best to wait for definitive reports.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  27 Sep 2013
Latest post:  21 Oct 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Beyond: Two Souls Special Edition (PS3)
Beyond: Two Souls Special Edition (PS3) by Sony (PlayStation 3)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (108)