Build agile and responsive Business Intelligence solutions
Analyze tabular data using the BI Semantic Model (BISM) in Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Analysis Services—and discover a simpler method for creating corporate-level BI solutions. Led by three BI experts, you’ll learn how to build, deploy, and query a BISM tabular model with step-by-step guides, examples, and best practices. This hands-on book shows you how the tabular model’s in-memory database enables you to perform rapid analytics—whether you’re a professional BI developer new to Analysis Services or familiar with its multidimensional model.
Discover how to:
- Determine when a tabular or multidimensional model is right for your project
- Build a tabular model using SQL Server Data Tools in Microsoft Visual Studio® 2010
- Integrate data from multiple sources into a single, coherent view of company information
- Use the Data Analysis eXpressions (DAX) language to create calculated columns, measures, and queries
- Choose a data modeling technique that meets your organization’s performance and usability requirements
- Optimize your data model for better performance with xVelocity storage engine
- Manage complex data relationships, such as multicolumn, banding, and many-to-many
- Implement security by establishing administrative and data user roles
About the Author
Marco Russo is a Business Intelligence consultant and mentor. His main activities are related to data warehouse relational and multidimensional design, but he is also involved in the complete development lifecycle of a BI solution. He has particular competence and experience in sectors like financial services (including complex olap designs in banking area), manufacturing, gambling and commercial distribution.Marco is also a book author and, apart from his BI-related publications, he also wrote some books about .NET programming. He speaks at international conferences such as PASS Summit, SQLRally and SQLBits. Marco has achieved the unique SSAS Maestro certification and is also a Microsoft Certified Trainer with several Microsoft Certified Professional certifications.
Alberto Ferrari is a Business Intelligence consultant whose two main interests are in a methodological approach to the BI development lifecycle, and performance tuning of ETL and SQL code. His activities are related to designing and implementing solutions based on Integration Services and Analysis Services for the financial, manufacturing and statistical areas. He is also a book author and a speaker in international conferences such as PASS Summit, SQLRally and SQLBits. Alberto holds an SSAS Maestro certification.
Chris Webb (email@example.com), SQL Server MVP, has been working with Microsoft Business Intelligence tools for over twelve years in a variety of roles and industries. He is an independent consultant and trainer based in the UK, specializing in Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services and the MDX query language. He is the co-author of two books, “MDX Solutions for Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services 2005 and Hyperion Essbase” and “Expert Cube Development with SQL Server Analysis Services 2008”, and is a regular speaker at conferences and user groups. His blog is available at http://cwebbbi.wordpress.com.