on 9 February 2011
I have to get up to speed fast with Analysis Services and I believe this book delivers. It takes you through Analysis Services literly Step by step with very clear instructions, explanations, and layout. I was also pretty impressed with the lack of typos and silly errors which can make life very difficult if you are a bit dodgy regarding the subject matter.
I didn't give it 5 stars because I would have liked it to use color where appropriate (diagrams anyway) to improve the readability. I also find all the Analysis Services books tend to use the same Database (AdventureWorks) and this doesn't really reflect the real world or at least the Databases I have to work with on a daily basis :). However given the price and the quality of the content I have no hesitation in recommending this book as a buy especially for someone just dipping their toes in the water.
on 23 February 2011
I enjoyed this book and was able to work through it very quickly. I liked the fact that all the chapters had independent starter projects so you do not have to work through it in chapter order if you do not want to. I would agree with the other review, in that I did not find many errors, it was very clear and easy to understand. There is not much MDX coverage in this book, but the MDX Step By Step book covers that.
on 5 February 2013
It is very rare for me to read an IT book from cover to cover - I always have great intentions but somewhere along the line I lose interest and go back to the playstation - this is one of the few I have finished.

You'll need a working knowledge of SQL server before using this book but other than that you're good to go.

It doesn't really cover design of Data warehouses so much so you'll need to read this and other books too.

However I have found that I am already doing Cubes at work and after having read this have a very good usable knowledge of SSAS 2008.

The final chapter on performance is pretty weak - but that must be a huge topic.

I'd say if you read this and the data warehouse toolkit you could put OLAP on your CV and not be lying - recommended.
on 29 July 2013
I've used SSAS and written MDX queries for about a year now. I have a good understanding of SSAS but I bought this book to get a more rounded knowledge rather than just understanding the features that we use at my current role. The problem is, this book is dismal - and I don't say that lightly. Seriously, the explanation of measures and dimensions was hard to follow even though I understand them, and if you don't get these then the rest of SSAS will remain a mystery to you. I don't understand why Microsoft are using an external consultancy to write their SSAS books - it's Microsoft's technology! This is one of those books that you know the author wrote and thought he did a good job, but he never passed the draft to someone else and said "hey, does this make sense?".
on 17 December 2014
This is a really good book if you need to undestand SSAS from the beginning. It seems well written and I find it easy to follow and used the included CD to work through the exercises on my PC. I recommend this as a book that delivers on it's title.
I feel far more confident using SSAS daily and am glad I bought this. If there is a negative it was I had some issues installing the excercises on a windows 8 PC. There are workarounds to find on the web so this isn't really a problem but more advice.
on 14 September 2014
Highly recommended especially if you are new to the game. Would love to see this one updated for SS2012 and in particular a step-by-step covering the tabular model.