Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 July 2012
As someone who has only previously used SSIS 2008 for very simple ETL's I found this book insightful and useful. The early chapters do a good job of explaining Control Flow and Data Flow tasks, their purposes and how to use them. It also explains the basics of SSDT and what has changed since BIDS and SSIS 2008.

I did not dwell on the mid chapters 6-8 as they walk through some of the more complex parts of SSIS that are very useful to ETL developers and good things to understand for the rest of us. Instead I skipped ahead and found Chapter 9 usefully explains the various ways that can now be employed to deploy SSIS packages through environments. The new Project Deployment Model differs from the older Package Deployment Model you may have been familiar with and Chapter 9 does a very good of explaining this and how to use the new model and the SSIS Catalog. The examples do a good job of demonstrating this and will be of great help when trying to decide which method you want or need to standardise your release processes for.

Chapters 10 and 13 are definitely ones I will be coming back to as and when I have SQL 2012 servers going live and will need to be able to migrate older 2008 packages to them. They also give good examples on how to ensure that packages are in a supportable state with decent error handling.

Overall a very good book and definitely a good addition to the book shelf that I would recommend for DBA's as well as ETL developers.
on 15 July 2012
Nice Cookbook for the experienced SSIS developer. It has useful recipes which I feel do encompass most scenarios one would encounter in the "world" of SSIS development. It will be an asset in any SSIS Library.

I think this book could be used by Learners of SSIS (2012) as well as by experienced SSIS developers, in as much the best way to learn a product is by practical experience and some of the "cook book" recipes tend to be on basics and useful for gaining practical experience.

However (experienced and beginners alike) be aware that I found it difficult to follow some of the recipes from scratch in my test lab; I feel that a certain assumptions have be made on how things work in SSIS and some of the recipes have been written by someone with very knowledgeable SSIS experience, so no "dumbing down" and I think certain steps in the recipes were omitted or not explained clearly. I marked it down to 4 stars because of this factor. A saving grace is they do provide their downloadable solutions from the PACKT publishing site so at least you can get at a correct solution and this I found useful as I could re-engineer the recipes.

Over all, very pleased with the book and I am glad it is in my Library.
on 30 July 2012
This cookbook is well illustrated, written and informative with step by step examples for real world solutions, In depth explanations are provided at the end of each example.

The book includes performance tips, best advised practises and new features in SSIS 2012 (Upsert, Change Data Capture, Undo/Redo,Shared Connection Managers etc).

The Bottom Line: An excellent go to resource for the new BIDS Developer or experienced Bids Developer / DBA looking to explore new features or improve current package performance this book has something for you.
on 23 January 2013
Bought this book while I was preparing for my "70-463 Implementing a Data Warehouse with Microsoft SQL Server 2012" certification. It does not cover all the topics(such as DQS, MDS) required for the exam, but all the SSIS 2012 features are explained clearly with Step by step examples. Enjoyed reading through and practicing.

E-book was given free when hard copy was bought from "PACKT publishing" website. Hard copy arrived after I finished my exam(3 weeks after ordering). It was the e-book that I had read through.