on 16 March 2013
I was originally going to buy this product direct from Microsoft but then I noticed Amazon sell it cheaper!

Even at Microsoft's price (£59.99) though this is still a bargain. It gives you all the Office products for 4 years, meaning you'll get the next version for no extra cost if it is released within that time. Office 365 is normally £79.99 per year or £7.99 per month so this is a great offer for students and teachers. The normal version does allow installation on 5 computers though whereas this only allows 2, but this is perfect for me as I can install it on my home desktop and laptop I take to uni.

If you were to buy the standard edition of Microsoft Office 2013, where you just pay once rather than paying for a subscription, it would cost £109.99 excluding Outlook, Publisher and Access or £389.99 if you want those aswell, so this is fantastic value. Please don't buy this if you are not a student or teacher though, as you do have to prove your eligibility by logging into your institution website, instructions are provided on how to do this.

In terms of the software itself, I like it, it is quite different to the previous version so be prepared for a little bit of a learning curve, but I do think it is a good piece of software overall.

One final point, you will not receive a disk, all that you receive with this is instructions and the product key, you have to download the software online, so don't buy this if you haven't got internet access. Once installed though, you can use it offline but won't receive updates and won't be able to download new design templates. Microsoft must be saving a lot of money by not having to provide disks.

So, overall, great product at a great price, recommended for any student!

Edit: I had originally thought when I wrote this review that you would be able to keep the software after 4 years but would stop receiving updates so would have an old version after that time. I now believe that is not the case and in fact you cannot use the software at all after 4 years. I do still believe though that this is an excellent product and good value for money as a standard subscription would cost a lot more over the same period. To further clarify my point, this is a quote from Microsoft's website - "As the expiration date approaches, you will receive notifications in the Office applications and via email, alerting you to the upcoming expiration. Once your Office 365 subscription expires, the Office software applications enter read-only reduced functionality mode, which means that you can view or print documents, but you will not be able to create new documents or edit existing documents.
To return to full Office functionality, you can purchase a new subscription or one PC another version of Office, from Office.com or any participating retailer. You could also return to using an older version of Office, or use the free Office Web Apps on SkyDrive for basic editing."
review image review image
1313 comments|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 August 2013
Having been skeptical about this purchase with all the other bad reviews regarding education verification, I purchased it anyway to install upon my new laptop. Took a matter of 3 minutes to authenticate myself as a student via the means of logging into my online university email address. Upon doing this, the download took a mere few minutes. Then installation started. Not looked back. You actually gain all Microsoft products with this product, not just the few mentioned on the packaging in the photo. You DO NOT get any CD. The box simply includes a piece of card with your product key on. To be honest, seems a lot of effort to post a box with a piece of card the size of a credit card. Which is why i can now understand why amazon have introduced online downloads of this product rather than physical boxes.

I have not experienced any difficulties with this product as per other reviewers. And 4 years subscription to the full package for a mere £55 is fantastic value bearing in mind a full permanent copy of office is upwards of £150. And the same office 365 subscription for non-students is £70-80 per year!

BARGAIN.
on 10 October 2013
This is so useful as most microsoft packages don't included Microsoft Access unless you splash out on Office for £300 odd quid. Very simple to register student ID .
A must buy for students!!
on 27 December 2013
Firstly, the student discount on this is outstanding and you get more than enough for your money ( I only wanted word and PowerPoint).

The main problem is the installation. As with many others, the installation of this is often tricky, with multiple reasons why it fails. It took around 3 days for myself to install the software, after multiple failed attempts. A LOT of research is needed, so it helps to be tech savvy, however the customer service you get from buying this product, will certainly help.

Apart from the above, this product is amazing. Word is no longer a pain, powerpoint is beautiful and OneNote is a hidden gem, that saves SOOOOOOO much hassle. Combined with Skydrive, it is the ultimate product for university life.

SO, if you can install it, go ahead!
on 21 June 2015
WARNING - DONT BUY THIS PRODUCT
So now you have been warned by me and others, when you ignore our warnings and buy it anyway cos you trust the Brand, don't moan -you were warned. They are a commercial company, to make a profit. The PRODUCT, as OTHERS have said too, just is sooo complicated to load, we have been unable to use. So my 50 quid as gone into the coffers of the seller, and I got a useless box! If anyone from the seller cares, and wants this review changed they can email me an HELP ME upload the product.
on 7 March 2014
I purchased this at a truly excellent price. Unlike some reviews I have read, I had no problem downloading and installing the whole Office suite. I installed on two PC's, then uninstalled on one of them to install my second copy on an iMac. It all worked fine.
I'd previously been using the 2007 versions of Word, Excel and Outlook and the 2010 version of Access. What I like about this new version is the tight integration with OneDrive which makes sharing information very much easier. I also like the navigation pane in Word (and have yet to fully explore the other products). As there are no major differences in the user interface, it's not a problem getting used to some of the new features. All in all it's a very worthwhile purchase.
on 1 July 2013
I had no difficulty with getting my academic credentials confirmed, and downloading the software. The first attempt at installation took several hours, and not one element of the package worked other than in 'safe mode'. A few more hours of my life passed while I followed all the various instructions from the MS support pages, and a second attempt at installation worked much more quickly. However, things still didn't work. To make matters worse, the error messages are meaningless and entirely unhelpful. This is the one I encountered on attempting to open eg Word:

'Microsoft Word has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program, and notify you if a solution is available.'

A quick search revealed that many, many people have encountered the same problems and have been left with a program that is literally, a waste of space.

I never did get to the bottom of the problem, despite spending the best part of three days trying. I am very happy that Amazon agreed to refund the purchase price without question.
on 4 October 2013
I didn't even pass the first hurdle. Registered, as required, on the MS web site giving my university e-mail address and waited for the reply - none came. The instructions say to allow up to 24 hours for a response! During those 24 hours many other e-mails arrived in my inbox but nothing from MS. Things then got even worse, MS's euphemistically named 'Customer Services' can only be called on a non-geographic number at a premium rate. I called and explained the situation to someone who didn't give the impression that English was their mother tongue, after sometime they grasped what I'd said and transferred me the 'person who deals with this'. A wait again and then the person I'd been transferred to (again English did not appear to be his mother tongue) didn't have any idea why I was calling so the whole story was repeated again with the most stupid questions being asked such as 'what is your operating system?' etc. How is that relevant to not receiving an e-mail? After another 15 minutes I was again transferred to the correct person. But it must have been Groundhog Day because we went through it all again ...... and yet another transfer ..... and again the whole story. After 50 minutes I hung up after the next attempted transfer to a fifth person. The only good bit of this was that a 5 minute call to Amazon Customer Service secured a returns label and the money was credited back within 5 days. Thank you and well done Amazon. MS can go ....
on 20 October 2013
Good offer for word with all the applications needed for uni , college or school. Only drawback was it was difficult to install but once the blips were resolved it worked very well
on 14 January 2014
If you are a student looking to buy Microsoft Office, I would definetely recommend this product. Ordered it and arrived within two days (standard delivery). The small box came packaged with a product key. As I already had the 30-day trial version of Office on my laptop, I simply only needed to enter the product code. There are simple instructions inside the box which are VERY easy to follow!

After going to the Office website, all I had to do was select my University from a drop-down list, give them my University email address, then click on a confirmation link using my University email account. It was literally as easy as that andw as completed within 30 minutes. You then get the option to download Office, or upgrade your current office to the newest full-version (what I did). You get to use this on 2 computers, BUT you can only register them both with ONE University email address.

Great quality for money for students, because I think the non-University version of this package is about £350. Although it is only valid for four years, I don't really see that as a problem; will I use Office after leaving University? Probably not as often as I would need to to buy the full version (£350!!). Easy to setup and great delivery from the seller. Thanks, Microsoft!