Developed by Microsoft’s senior editors and content managers, this manual of style captures the up-to-date standards and best practices for delivering clear and consistent technical communications. Now in its third edition, this popular reference has been fully revised, expanded, and optimized for ease of use. You’ll find new coverage on meeting the needs of a global audience, accessibility concerns, and the latest technical terms and acronyms—along with expertly organized sections on usage, grammar, punctuation, tone, formatting, and common style problems. Whether you’re creating print documentation, online help, Web content, or other communications, you’ll get the information and examples you need to maximize the impact and precision of your message.
Get clear, concise guidance to help you:
- Use technical terms correctly and consistently—including do’s, don’ts, and alternatives for usage.
- Employ the appropriate tone and voice for your audience.
- Produce written and visual content suitable for a worldwide audience.
- Apply best practices for writing and tagging Web content.
- Write better documentation—from dialog boxes and error messages to Web pages and software code.
- Know the standards for creating accessible communications.
- Optimize your indexes, cross-references, and keyword lists.
- Get fast answers on spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Complete eBook inside
A Note Regarding the CD or DVD
The print version of this book ships with a CD or DVD. For those customers purchasing one of the digital formats in which this book is available, we are pleased to offer the CD/DVD content as a free download via O'Reilly Media's Digital Distribution services. To download this content, please visit O'Reilly's web site, search for the title of this book to find its catalog page, and click on the link below the cover image (Examples, Companion Content, or Practice Files). Note that while we provide as much of the media content as we are able via free download, we are sometimes limited by licensing restrictions. Please direct any questions or concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org.