on 9 March 2010
I think that this CD set is excellent and I am hoping that Hara Garoufalia-Middle is intending to make an even more advanced set of CDs: we still have the imperfect, conditional and perfect tenses to do.

My only criticism of the Michel Thomas method is that the vocabulary tends to be a bit limited, so that you practise sentences using the same limited vocabulary again and again. However, you can get more vocabulary from other courses. This course is excellent for teaching how to put sentences together and I shall buy the next instalment if there is one.
on 12 April 2011
I am a little disappointed. I thoroughly enjoyed the foundation course and felt that I had learned a lot and was really looking forward to the advanced course. Unfortunately within the first 5 minutes of the first disc there are two important words used that we hadn't covered in the foundation. This immediately leads to confusion. At the beginning of the advanced CD it quite clearly confirms that this course follows on from the foundation, unfortunately this isn't entirely true.
on 21 January 2011
I have been learning Greek on and off for 13 years now, with a variety of methods, (including time living in the country), and I finally feel like I have the basics cracked. The logic of the approach combined with allowing you to work out for yourself what should happen, in sensible incremental steps allows the language to percolate into your subconscious without the effort needed with traditional methods. The repetition of words can be limiting in that you do not expand vocabulary quickly, but the words you do know, in all their permutations are so ingrained that using them becomes second nature, and pronunciation just gets better and better.

I really hope that additional stages are produced - I shall be awaiting eagerly!
on 6 October 2010
I've actually got audio download product versions for Ipods. I've studied languages in the past to Degree level, and wish we had products like this!

The course does weave in the basics of grammar as it goes along. I am a senior now, so I need to listen 2 or 3 times, or repeat sections weeks later. What these courses don't do, of course, is to teach you to read and write Greek, which is very difficult. But I find that having learnt how to pronounce words, I can then read them (eg ksero) and "de construct" the words, which is I suppose how children learn.

I've tried several Greek CD type products: trust me: get this one :-)
on 12 May 2011
I am really impressed with this system. The classroom type scenario with the listener as the third student really works. It is also really nice not to have to write anything down and no books are used. Although I have previously studied the language and am able to read simple Greek, this course has taught me how to speak everyday sentences fluently. The grammer is absorbed almost subconsciously.

At the end of the day most people would like to be able to communicate with Greek people in simple language and make themselves understood. No amount of textbooks will do this whereas this course certainly will.

This is a second level course - there is also Foundation level - which really does begin at the beginning and is perfect for the new learner.
on 8 March 2010
An excellent course which builds upon the grammar and vocabulary learned in the Foundation and Intermediate course CDs. I felt quite bereft when I reached the end of the final (of four) CDs in this course. Almost as if I had only just began to grow in confidence with some of the essential patterns inherent in this difficult language.Perhaps the Advanced Course should have been longer or at least provide some "continuation package" to allow ongoing learning through this amazingly effortless method?
on 26 April 2010
I have studied a number of languages and am a teacher of Arabic as a second language. I found this course very pleasant, both the first course (8 CDs) and the advanced course. The instructor is very pleasant and obviously a skilled instructor. I hope she creates an even more advanced course so I can take it. The course advances slowly but methodically and makes the language seem quite logical, which is an accomplishment, as so often languages, when looked at from the outside, seem opaque to the learner. However, Mrs. Garoufalia awakens your appetite for the Greek language and Greek way of thinking as you go along.
on 4 April 2016
I am on disk 3 and so far this has been an enjoyable course. It is a lot more detailed than the foundation course however I often repeat the lessons so that I can practice the grammar and vocabulary until I am confident with them. I am now looking for any other courses that develop my learning on this course.
on 10 April 2014
Having sampled this advanced course, I am convinced that learning by the direct method is a legitimate means of language
learning. It really works!
on 16 October 2014
Having used the Foundation course, I am just as impressed with the Advanced course. Delivery was fast and efficient!