- Paperback: 416 pages
- Publisher: Orion; New edition edition (14 April 1997)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1857998685
- ISBN-13: 978-1857998689
- Product Dimensions: 15.6 x 3.2 x 23.2 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (2 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 1,781,464 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Metternich: Councillor of Europe (Phoenix Giants) Paperback – 14 Apr 1997
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
More About the AuthorsDiscover books, learn about writers, and more.
About the Author
Alan Palmer was educated at Bancroft's School, Woodford Green, and at Oriel College, Oxford. He was head of history at Highgate School, London, for sixteen years. He now concentrates on historical writing and research.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Top Customer Reviews
The first half of Metternich’s political career saw him attempting to promote Austrian interests in the midst, then the aftermath of Napoleon’s imperial ambitions; seeking to balance Austrian power against Russia, Prussia and France and to ensure Austria had every opportunity at great bites of the small German states that got trampled by armies and moved by treaties between the great powers. It’s those smaller states (and places like the Netherland) that you really feel for in the years up to and beyond 1815, as they got transferred hither and thither without any pretence at consideration of the preferences of the people who lived there themselves. It’s easy to see how in these years and beyond, nationalistic fervour and demand for representation and liberal tendencies became more prevalent all across Europe and further to England.Read more ›
The book told the story in the manner I appreciate and I would recommend it
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Political > Countries & Regions
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Early Modern 1501-1700 (Tudors, Stuarts, Commonwealth, Restoration, Glorious Revolution)
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics