Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 September 2011
Really good introduction to the metaprogramming capabilities of Ruby. It's quite an easy read as the author wrote the book as a conversation between two developers (in a few places of the book this is taken a bit to the extreme, but it's ok).

One thing I loved about this book is the number of examples taken from active open-source projects. I think this is a *great* idea as it invites the reader to download the code from those libraries and see how metaprogrammig is used in the wild.

I think this is an excellent book for someone who has little or no background about the metaprogramming features of ruby.
on 17 January 2011
It's a very good book "to read". It's not just a bunch of techniques or code snippets but a nice and interesting book that teach you how to think "like a ruby pro".

Just like many collegues and friends of mine i haven't bought a paper book sice a long time but i really recommend it to all of you interested into Ruby and metaprogramming techniques.

It's also a funny book and you'll never get bored.

If you think this review to be more suitable to a novel instead of an IT book than you can understand it's a "must have" :)
on 6 April 2011
Very interesting book, that goes deep into Ruby concepts, shows a lot of dynamic programming magic. But all of these, in very clean and simple style, which makes reading this book nothing but pleasure.
on 7 October 2013
This is a mind bending book. I already had o little crush on Ruby but after this book, I'm completely in love!
The book is clear, it has a funny way of introducing things and the whole "lets tell a story about this" kind of approach just makes it seem like I'm not reading a technical book but a story book.
This book helped me understand how many ruby gems do things, especially ActiveRecord, and helped me be a better programmer.
Now I'm so much into the metaprogramming concept that any language that doesn't support it, I'm not interested!
on 12 October 2013
Not a book for Ruby beginners, but once you're familiar with the basics and want to understand how it all works then this is the book for you.

It opened my eyes to the beauty that is the Ruby Object Model. I finally understood how it all fits together. I can now say I know how eigen classes work or when to use a class macro. The separate appendix of 'spells' is a master-stroke, great reference material. Until I read this book I thought that Ruby used magic. I can now see the elegant design that allows the 'magic' to work.
on 8 September 2010
This is the best Ruby book I came across as it explains the concepts behind Ruby in a very easy to understand way. Besides, the book is written in a very similar style to Head First - Design Patterns, which is funny and easy to follow. I was also pleased to see that it's up to date with Ruby 1.9.