Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 March 2007
I picked up my first guitar almost ten years ago. My first few months were spent with a rather "serious" book, which almost killed my interest completely. Then, thankfully, I found this excellent book, and it completely saved my guitar playing.

It manages to teach you basic (and invaluable) techniques whilst still making the examples and tutorials sound good, so you immediately feel like you're making progress. The learning curve is also at a good level, and slowly introduces new methods to bring you up to scratch, as well as involving some basic (and essential!) music theory.

Nine years on I'd like to think of myself as quite an accomplished guitarist, but if it wasn't for this book (and a few others from the series) I'd probably have given up long ago.

I can't recommend this enough to anyone interested in playing "hard rock" or metal guitar, it's the best guitar tutorial book I've ever seen.
on 27 January 2005
Even if you are a total beginner this book will not be beyond you and by the end off it you will be pleased with your accomplishment.Its all there , songs to learn that sound great when you jam along and loads of exercises show you how to play them.Dont let the METAL title put you off as it did me, Metal is now a title for a wide genre of style,s such as rock,grunge,pop,punk,thrash,classic metal..Its all in there.
You can't go wrong with any book/cd by Troy Stetina.IVE GOT SHED LOADS OF GUITAR BOOKS AND THIS IS EASILY IN MY TOP FIVE.
Of all the books I have as a guitar teacher (about 200!) this is one I start rockers on once they have done a couple of weeks limbering up and getting there fingers to fret notes fairly cleanly. If you want to rock this should be your first book. You can get the basics and finger exercises off the net - after a week at that you're ready for this book. It leads on to book 2, or a book 1 Lead and then another Lead book 2, or you might want to take the song route rather than loads of exercises and go through the Total Guitar book by Troy. After a couple of months of Metal Rhythm you'll be ready for the John Ganapes book, 'Blues You Can Use' (most rock is based on the blues so it's not just what yer dad plays!) If you follow the Stetina series you'll end up like a junior version of Vai, Satriani, Johnson or Morse. If you want to be like Clapton or Moore, switch to the John Ganapes series one you've finished Metal Rhythm Book One.
22 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 August 2010
A phenominal book, which I'd recomend to everyone wanting to play the guitar whatever style they like.
It jumps straight in with tuneful riffs you can easily play and practice to master. I use this book along with other beginner books to expand my learning experience.
This is quite a slim book, but with so much packed into the pages it's well worth the money, no waffle no b/s, it's just packed with great learning tools.
And it has songs to learn after each chapter, well within the beginers ability. I'm considering his Lead guitar Vol 1 aswell and my work through them at the same time.
on 16 April 2016
This is a great book if you wish to become competent at playing the electric guitar. I have tried and failed with several other books and the main reason for this I think, other than my lack of competence, is that these other books try to be all things to all men. These books treat electric, acoustic and classic guitar in the same way as if they are the same thing. Clearly they are not.

Most beginner guitar books dutifully guide you through playing the main open chords. After a few weeks practice (probably less for most people), you can knock out a bad rendition of 'Wild Thing' using the three most common open chords. Not very helpful.

Metal Rhythm Guitar Vol. 1 gets straight in by showing you how to tune your guitar and then how to set-up your amp for different styles. Then it goes into power chords. Most books I have come across either deny the existence of power chords or make it so mysterious they you will not learn to play them. Within a short time you will be learning 6th and 5th string power chords. All very well explained. It takes no time at all before you are playing tunes that sound quite authentic. Instead of getting bored, I was going over it all several times to improve my technique.
I am sure that if you buy this book and conscientiously practice all the lessons you will become a competent electric guitar player. It is a beginners book, but most essential techniques are there. Slides, hammer ons, open chords are all there as well as an introduction to improvisation. Even lead guitar might not be that far away.

I have seen some descriptions of this book as coming with a CD. In my case I had a download key. Not a big deal but do not be disappointed if you were after a CD.

Highly recommended.
on 26 February 2010
Brilliant book for aspiring guitarists, really easy to follow and no jargon, simple and easy to learn. Very impressed. I will be purchasing the rest of the books in this series. Cheers Troy!
on 27 April 2011
Ive been playing for over 15 years, and am totally self taught, i would consider my self an intermediate guitarist.

I wanted to improve my Lead, so i bought the Lead Vol1, and started working through that. I was improving drastically, but i was finding i needed to mix up my practicing not wanting to get bored of doing the same thing all the time.

So i decided to purchase the rhythm vol1. Now i have been playing rhythm for all this time (so worried i would do book in a night), the first few songs/chapters i flew through (just learning power chords, changing strings etc) but my theory was poor and the book sort of re-taught me well. It has great patterns to learn and im perfecting every one.
Now my timing and technique has a much improved, so im glad im working though both vol1 of troys books.

I would recommend practicing both books as the same time So it mixes up what your playing and they complement each other very well.

Troys books are gold dust to me, i have a lot to thank to the guy :)
on 14 October 2013
This is fantastic for people just learning to play guitar, especially if you love rock. Within a few minutes you should be starting to riff. I was starting to get a little frustrated, picked this up and soon after playing i felt like i'd got my mojo back.
on 2 July 2014
Gets to the powerchord nitty-gritty quickly, and for once in a guitar tutor book the exercises actually sound musical and are fun to play.

The whole Troy Stetina series is excellent and this maintains that high standard.
on 17 March 2016
Don't let the title put you off- the contents are applicable to all styles of guitar playing. Explanations are very clear and music theory is introduced on a gradual and subtle basis.

An excellent introductory text.