Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 August 2011
Metal Lead Guitar Primer by Troy Stetina, is a MUST HAVE purchase for any guitar player wishing to learn the key skills needed to play lead guitar, whatever your style interests my be.

The book gives invaluable advise, and tips on creating the cleanest tonal clarity, and emphasizes the importance of muscular control and finger co-ordination - rhythmic discipline with techniques such as Hammer-ons, Pull-Offs, String bending, and Vibrato.

All of the written examples are accompanied with CD performances, and encourages the pupil to develop aural awareness and interpretation skills which are a key element in learning solo's by other more advanced guitarists, famous or not!

Also all the exercises conclude with a guitar solo at the end of the 2 chapters, which encourages the player to copy each phrase in turn allowing you break the guitar licks into 'Bite-Size-Chunks' and therefore teach you valuable skills.
on 6 July 2012
I purchased this to assist with my journey into rock god heaven,but soon realised my limitations as this book was in my opinion not for a newbie fret slayer (ideas above my station).There is plenty of good tunes to play but i soon realised it was too advanced for my limited playing ability might suit someone more advanced or someone who picks things up quicker.
on 9 May 2015
Troy Stetina has been a foremost figure in rock and heavy metal guitar instruction for many years - and his book series is exactly where any aspiring rock or metal player should start! Metal Lead Guitar Primer is a brilliant, comprehensive and easy-to-follow entry level lead guitar book, but don't let the term 'entry-level' fool you - because even intermediate to advanced players will find knowledge in here.

What you get is a whole host of techniques and basic theory, along with two exercise tracks to build and craft your lead skills - and trust me when I say, Troy knows how to keep things fun! Good job, Mr Stetina!
on 26 December 2014
good book for lead guitar beginner, and the condition is brand-new