Platform: PlayStation 4|Change

on 14 July 2014
I was expecting a bigger game than this, considering its half the price of a full game, this is just a demo really, wait for it to go down in price £5-£10.
on 13 September 2015
Snake/ Big Boss.. who? I'm terribly confused by the convoluted back story and names given to characters, but once I started playing it was pretty good fun. Many of my earlier attempts ended in terrible failure (but I found my character's deaths really funny!) since the approaches that work in other games I play just do not work well here. Eventually I learned how to play the game and turned the tables on the games non player characters. I even managed to set a POW up for a summary execution by leaving him where he could be discovered by an enemy soldier (well he was making too much noise and kept alerting the guards when Snake was rescuing someone else). This game does have only a few missions to complete, but you do have a lot of freedom to approach missions differently each time and see how sometimes even subtle changes play out differently. I bought this on a PSN promotion, so I don't feel bad about the amount of repetition when I only have a few missions to choose from. Now that the full length Phantom Pain is for sale, everyone should definitely just go for that title, unless they see Ground Zeroes on another price promotion. For android users, there is a free companion app to use which turns your phone/tablet into a functional iDroid so you don't have to interrupt your gameplay to look at a map, reread a log, call a helicopter etc..

For those who get bored with watching the "cut scenes" which get in the way of having "another go" because Snake just failed again... on the PS4 press and hold the left side of the touch sensitive area on the dual shock controller until you see the menu to skip on. Am I going to buy Phantom Pain? Probably.
on 19 May 2014
Lets cut to the chase- you want to know if this is worth the money, right?
Are you a completionist who will play a game over and over in order to find all Easter eggs, unlockables, improve your play through, achieve high scores, set records, you like to master the hardest difficulty, you experiment to see what's possible in-game and leave no stone unturned? If so, you can't go wrong with this game, having played it for over 30 hours with plenty left to do, I can confidently say that there is plenty here for you.
Or are you the type of gamer who finishes a game and moves on to the next one, you don't care about unlockables, you don't care about mastering the game, or trying higher difficulties, or competing for high scores, finding Easter eggs etc and you are only here for the story? If so, I wouldn't recommend this game to you.
Whatever side your on, there is no denying the sublime design in this game, being a prologue to the next main entry in the Metal Gear Solid franchise, Phantom Pain, Ground Zeroes perfectly demonstrates how 'Pain has the potential to be one of the best games of all time when it releases. This game seriously puts other open-world titles to shame, the true openness of not only the environment, but the mechanics and gameplay, is what puts it ahead of everything else in my opinion and is a true step forward for open world games.
There are so many ways to accomplish your mission, infact, the game keeps stats witch tell you all sorts of information, how many head shots you have in total, how many complete stealth runs you've accomplished, how many no kill runs you've completed, your longest head shot range, and how many missions you've completed to name but a few, it reveals here that I have played the main mission through 67 times and as I've been experimenting with this game to see what's possible(or to see what's not possible?) I can tell you that no two play troughs have ever been the same in my 67 playthroughs and because of this the game just does not get boring.
Its this truly organic gameplay in a believable world with many paths, strategies, side objectives, some of the best AI in games ever, hilarious easter eggs, tight mechanics, spot on controls and amazing visuals that solidified this as a ''best of the best'' kind of production.
Ground Zeroes is but a single main mission with 6 extra missions thrown in for good measure, they're all fun, all insanely replayable and this just demonstrates that if I can play the main mission 67 times without getting bored, well, what if The Phantom Pain releases with 50 main missions? It'll never end for me, this single mission in Ground Zeroes has near-endless replayability, I'm yet to really dig deep into the side missions.
I've given this game 4 stars, and that's because in the end, it leaves you wanting more although satisfied, but this was exactly the studio's intention, too hook you in for The Phantom Pain and for me, they've overachieved in this regard... the wait for The Phantom Pain has become no less painful!
on 16 April 2014
I think Metal Gear Solid:Ground zeros has been given a undeserving bad name for the length of its game and may have even lost a few potential buyers because of this game.

Do not get me wrong Ground Zeros is not a perfect game with a few bad lines that took away from the serious aspect of the game and hearing miller over and over did get annoying (In phantom pain they said they would address this point by adding a mute or something else) and as for the visuals great but it was a shame that they couldn't do more with next gen as the anti-aliasing is noticeably low-grade, environmental destruction is limited, and some buildings look a bit similar.

Also I didn't find my self getting that great feeling of being in this over dramatic and complex game like movie which was expected as this was not the full game. But it was never meant to be a full game it was a prologue which from other people comments about the game makes me think that they did not know what the purpose of this game was. In which if you did not now the purpose it was meant to show how and why Big Boss turns heel and to make you excited for the main game. Now did the game deliver on that I think it did I mean yes they could of made it more in depth about why he turns but you need to remember that the full game will do that.

Secondly the target audience of this game was MGS fans who already know all the background of these characters and didn't need the revision on the games they have already played multiple times and thats why Ground Zeros expects you to have an already developed feeling of these characters. Also MGS fans was expected to fully indulge them selves in the game by obtaining 100% and trying to get the best times in all the trials (in which it took me longer to get everything in MGS:Ground zeros than it took me to do everything in infamous second son).

So if MGS delivered on everything it set out to do I would say the game was a success and would recommend buying it and if you are not a fan wait until the main game. Sure they could of done more like making that cutscene after you finish the game in to a mission where you truly have to fight for everything you have and know that you can't win which maybe would of made you have more of a reason to believe why he turns. Also maybe making the game like 'vantage point giving a cutscene of someone else's perspective like Paz or even playing from someone else's perspective knowing that you can not do nothing as you play as Paz or Chico knowing that the same ending is coming (maybe even throw in a paradox in there) making you feel even worse for Chico. Thus making you even more enraged about skull faces actions.
on 11 October 2015
Wow what a fantastic game. Having not played a shooter for about 7 years (I had other things to do lol) I got bored of Fifa so thought I would give this ago. I have never experienced such fantastic gameplay and the graphics are amazing.

I took about an hour to complete the first level, couldn't wait for the next then the title credits came up. I had completed the game. Absolutely horrendous that I then found out its just a taster, a demo, etc etc. Really peed off with this! Now I have to spend another £35 to play the full game. A complete joke!
on 8 May 2014
In terms of sheer Gameplay and Graphics this game is astounding. However its very short and there is only one level (albeit a pretty large one). The first mission took me about 1:30 hours to complete as I played very cautiously, using stealth and moving slowly through the map, stalking and executing the enemy soldiers while getting to my objective. Gunplay feels great allowing for both third and first person perspectives, it no longer feels awkward and stiff like it did in the previous installments in the series, its very fluent and fun as is the CQC which builds upon peace walkers awesome CQC system allowing you to attack multiple targets one after the other. There is Multiple missions you get to play after the main mission is completed. These mission's are short but enjoyable and you'll want to strive to get the S rank in all of them :) Finally the voice acting is superb, I was apprehensive of Kiefer sutherland voicing Boss but after hearing him in action the voice fits very well with the character, sure to bring more emotion and depth to the story. The price is a bit steep for the amount of content you get so if you're not a die hard MGS fan then I'd wait for the full release, but if you're like me who's played through every metal gear solid game umpteen times and grown up with the series, then how can you resist? I know i couldn't.
on 29 April 2016
As long as you don't pay more than £10 for this game then it is superb value for money, especially if you play games as they are supposed to be played and not bother with all the 'speed run' nonsense and actually take in everything the game has to offer.

If you say you completed the game in 20 minutes then you are either 12 years old or lying and probably just repeating the same old rubbish going around in reviews and youtube without actually playing the game - yes the main mission can be completed in about 6 mins if you really want to but that is totally missing the point of any video game, and taking any sort of enjoyment out of playing it and totally ignoring the fact you have the possibility of another 6 missions to unlock.

I've actually already put over 12 hours into this game taking things nice and slow and being blown away by one of the best games i've ever played and still have 5 of the 7 missions still to fully explore, yes i've repeated the same missions a few times, but that's cause i've enjoyed playing them in different ways and getting to understand all the possibilites available to complete the objectives.

Each to their own i guess - but as always i'm right and anybody who disagrees is entitled to their wrong opinion :)
on 28 March 2014
It took me 119 minutes to complete the campaign first time round and I got a grade C. In a first for me in 2 decades of gaming, I immediately played the campaign again, this time it took me 90 minutes and I got a grade B. I'm going to keep doing it until I get that elusive S rank - this will probably take a good few hours. MGSV is an excellent game and people really shouldn't get hung up on the main story being potentially very short (you can do it in about 15 minutes if you really thrash about) because the replay value is immense and there are a further 5 missions to complete once you have completed the main story - these can take about an hour if you are being methodical.

The graphics are amazing on the PS4 and the gameplay is fluid and a lot less frustrating than other MGS games, for the price this is a fantastic buy - it also comes with some bonus stuff for next year's Phantom Pain which is nice. Ignore the haters, this is an excellent addition and a real show of next gen power. You've kept us waiting Snake but it was definitely worth while.
44 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 July 2014
If you love MGS as I do there's no good reason not to get this. The whole mythology, whilst confusing at times, weaves a deep story from the deepest recesses of the mind of Hideo Kojima (if it weren't for this I can definitely see this guy as an X-Files fan fiction type). As expected for this franchise, graphically gorgeous (good to see the PS4 starting to flex its....er.....flops?) with engaging sound, especially through a decent soundbar or surround sytem. A relatively short game, it nonetheless serves as a good prologue for the upcoming Phantom Pain later this year, and also includes a code for some PP digital freebies through the PS store but I can't comment on those yet as I haven't paid that much attention to it.

Would rate the game 5 stars if it were longer, but the price is fair and reflects this. If you're a big CoD style-of-gameplay fan perhaps you should look elsewhere, as the run and gun style of gameplay won't get you very far in this and you may find the game a bit dull. If you like the whole sneaky beaky thing it's well worth a punt, plus the lead's voice is Jack Bauer for extra tough guy kudos!
on 18 April 2014
I'm a fan of the Metal Gear Franchise, but felt this game was too expensive.
Lets start with the positives: The overall look and feel of the game is at first very good. The game has some side content after the main mission which will keep you busy for a good 6-8 hours after you finish said mission. The unlockable 'deja vu' mission also gives us long term fans(/nerds?) a chance to reminisce and gives us hope that 'The Phantom Pain' will retain the qualities which made the first game so iconic.
Here's what I think could have been improved: The main mission lasts about 1-2 hours. The game would also benefit from a change of environment, as the military prison backdrop quickly becomes monotonous.
To summarise I think this game should only have ever been a downloadable. I only hope that the code on the game's manual, which entitles you to free DLC in The Phantom Pain, makes the game worth holding on to. Otherwise I would sell it in a heartbeat for the more reasonable asking price of £10.