on 7 January 2013
If you've not read any of the Mercury books previously, this is not the place to start, though chronologically it is. Perverse I know, but then so is life sometimes, as you'll know if you've read the series!
So, if you've not already, I'd recommend you at least read book 1 of the trilogy first: Mercury Falls (Book One of the Mercury Series)
This (very) short story fills in some of the background to the Mercury story in the trilogy, and as such, is probably better for being in on some of the jokes contained therein. I suspect it wouldn't be anything like as funny if you came to this first.
It is very short, so even at the low price currently listed, arguably not the best of value, but if you're a prime member you can borrow it free, and hey, it is only 77p (currently), less than half a pint. If you go to a cheaper pub than usual you could buy this and enjoy it with a pint at no added cost. That's not a bad idea.
So, in short, recommended if you enjoyed the trilogy, not if you've not read them, and obviously not if you read them and hated them, that would just be silly.
on 14 May 2014
Robert Kroese is a thinking person's Christian. He writes with great humour and his view of good and evil is entertaining and well written. Mercury is a gentle character and very well written. I really really like all the books that I've read by Robert Kroese so far. It is really interesting how he links all his books together with recurring stories from different perspectives.
on 22 July 2013
This made me laugh out loud in several places. Reignited my enjoyment of Mercury's escapades. Over too quickly. Can be read in a very short time so don't expect it to last.
on 30 August 2013
I would certainly agree with the majority of reviews. This is a very funny short novel and if this is the first Mercury book you have read it will make you want to read the Mercury Trilogy.
on 6 June 2013
This is the first book I have read by Robert Kroese and it definitely won't be the last. I found this book very funny - a really good read.
on 2 June 2013
I was laughing out loud reading this short story. Kroese is a genius. His version of historical events is endlessly funny and intelligent.
on 17 June 2013
Maybe not Historicaly correct but an amusing intro into a concept (and hero) for later stories, I will be reading them later for sure
on 26 August 2013
It's a first class humorous story, and I will read the rest of the trilogy, but it is not a novel - At a guess it is maybe 5k words.
on 28 November 2014
A fairly short story.
Probably it serves as a scene setter for a series, but as a stand-alone it didn't make much sense to me.
on 24 June 2013
Once again the potentially coolest angel (he thinks he is anyway) gets up to mischief on behalf of his bosses, laugh out loud funny