Top positive review
49 people found this helpful
couldn't quite justify 5-star review
on 21 February 2014
Well as my review states, I couldn't quite justify a 5-star review, although it is a close-run thing.
Having read some really negative reviews for this line of furniture I was a little apprehensive about buying, but all I can say to you is be brave! Yes it is a flat-pack item, and yes it will take you some time to get it put together but the end result is very pleasing and you can feel proud of yourself afterwards.
It arrived really quickly (2 days after order and with free delivery) and all told it took my husband (working on his own - one has a bad back you know!) 4 hours to put it together.
We made the decision not to put the 4 black studs on because we think it looks nicer without them and you can't see the holes where they're meant to go unless you get up close and you're looking for them,
However there are a few negatives for people to be aware of.
1. DO NOT trust the guide holes for attaching the doors. I believe this is a problem others have had looking at others feedback, they were completely off - but with a little common sense and some patience you can get the doors fixed on properly.
2. There is a lot of screwing together to be done and, in particular, the guide rails for the drawers, can be a bit fiddley and require a long, thin screwdriver we didn't immediately have to hand - but a quick visit to the father-in-law and that was soon solved.
3. I've seen some comments on other items about the colour of the wood not being consistent, and I must admit at first glance I was a bit troubled to see that half of the front looked like someone had polished it with shoe-polish! (I can only assume it's part of the "antique wax" finish and it wasn't applied evenly...But do no despair! I saw that someone had recommended the Lord Sheraton's wood balsam and had already order some of this in preparation. A quick application of this with a duster cleaned it right up and it looks smashing now, if I do say so myself, and there's no hint of an un-even finish on the wood. (I assume any polish would do the trick but the wood balsam wax is good for the wood so might be worth investing in a pot!)
4. The top of the sideboard is a little more "rustic" than I'd thought from the picture. It has pretty deep grooves/channels and again it looked a little grubby, but once i'd given it a polish and put a few bits and pieces like a bowl and a lamp on top it looked lovely, and honestly, how often am I going to be standing over it, staring at the top?!
5. This is more of a personal gripe, but I was a little disappointed that the whole unit is basically one big cavern, rather than having a single cupboard on the right and a double cupboard on the left. I do think it's worth mentioning this because no-where else does it really tell you how much storage space you actually get. The 3 doors open onto one large cupboard which has a shelf running across the entire length. Not really a problem, just not quite what I'd expected.
Hope this was helpful. Happy to give more info on dimensions etc if anyone is interested.