on 21 February 2014
Well as my review states, I couldn't quite justify a 5-star review, although it is a close-run thing.

Having read some really negative reviews for this line of furniture I was a little apprehensive about buying, but all I can say to you is be brave! Yes it is a flat-pack item, and yes it will take you some time to get it put together but the end result is very pleasing and you can feel proud of yourself afterwards.

It arrived really quickly (2 days after order and with free delivery) and all told it took my husband (working on his own - one has a bad back you know!) 4 hours to put it together.

We made the decision not to put the 4 black studs on because we think it looks nicer without them and you can't see the holes where they're meant to go unless you get up close and you're looking for them,

However there are a few negatives for people to be aware of.

1. DO NOT trust the guide holes for attaching the doors. I believe this is a problem others have had looking at others feedback, they were completely off - but with a little common sense and some patience you can get the doors fixed on properly.

2. There is a lot of screwing together to be done and, in particular, the guide rails for the drawers, can be a bit fiddley and require a long, thin screwdriver we didn't immediately have to hand - but a quick visit to the father-in-law and that was soon solved.

3. I've seen some comments on other items about the colour of the wood not being consistent, and I must admit at first glance I was a bit troubled to see that half of the front looked like someone had polished it with shoe-polish! (I can only assume it's part of the "antique wax" finish and it wasn't applied evenly...But do no despair! I saw that someone had recommended the Lord Sheraton's wood balsam and had already order some of this in preparation. A quick application of this with a duster cleaned it right up and it looks smashing now, if I do say so myself, and there's no hint of an un-even finish on the wood. (I assume any polish would do the trick but the wood balsam wax is good for the wood so might be worth investing in a pot!)

4. The top of the sideboard is a little more "rustic" than I'd thought from the picture. It has pretty deep grooves/channels and again it looked a little grubby, but once i'd given it a polish and put a few bits and pieces like a bowl and a lamp on top it looked lovely, and honestly, how often am I going to be standing over it, staring at the top?!

5. This is more of a personal gripe, but I was a little disappointed that the whole unit is basically one big cavern, rather than having a single cupboard on the right and a double cupboard on the left. I do think it's worth mentioning this because no-where else does it really tell you how much storage space you actually get. The 3 doors open onto one large cupboard which has a shelf running across the entire length. Not really a problem, just not quite what I'd expected.

Hope this was helpful. Happy to give more info on dimensions etc if anyone is interested.
on 27 May 2013
I was a bit surprised when the flat pack arrived, but following the very clear instructions we had a beautiful sideboard within two hours. I would recomend that it recieves an immediate polish with something like Lord Sheratons wood Balsam as this brings the wood to life and makes the surface feel like silk.
on 8 April 2013
ordered this item, it arrived two days earlier than the delivery date i was given and the unit is immaculate and looks just like the picture. well worth the money.
on 16 April 2013
Took a bit longer to arrive than expected, but I do live in the Highlands. Took me about 3 hours to build - but I'm no expert! Worth every minute though, as I'm really pleased with it. Good strong quality product at a really good price.
on 21 February 2014
Comments from other buyers, range from 2 to 3 hours, and easy to assemble. I spent 4 hours in my first session, and 2 hours for
final session. Leaving the doors and drawers to final session. Follow the drawing, OK, but there are one or two parts of the assembly, that you should note.
1. The doors. I thought, fit the clip on the bottom of each door, insert the clip into the receiver on base of the sideboard, and it should be self-aligning and just attach the hinges to the frame, and that's it. Wrong, wrong, frustratingly wrong. I removed the receivers, then lined-up the door hinges using a liner (piece of card-board) on the bottom of the door frame, to allow about 3/8 inch clearance. Then, contrary to manufacturers advice, used a small, battery powered drill, with a small bit, and using the (already) attached hinge on the door,to make holes (just a few mm deep) in the frame.. Success, it worked. Additionally I used a piece strip of "sticky tape" on that liner.
Fiddling with these doors was time-consuming, but twas worth it. The finished product is solid, the wood colour is quite acceptable
so, no polish. I'm pleased with its appearance, and worth the price.
One other piece of advice, most (95%) of the dowels are too small, consequently, they tend to slip out when moving the different sections. Or, it could be the dowel holes were drilled too large.
I would recommend the side-board, even for a single-person assembler.
I purchased 3 small magnetic touch bolts and receivers for outside, on door, to keep doors closed.
on 3 August 2013
The sideboard is beautiful it fits perfectly where,it was ment for. The problem was the fact that the box was damaged when it arrived
on 19 May 2013
Absolutely love this piece of furniture, just moved house and it is the centre piece to our lounge, also purchased the nest of tables to match.
on 23 November 2015
Excellent value for money - delighted with the quality - does take time to assemble - some tips - accessories (screws hinges etc come in 4 seperate packs with letters that identify each one ie A; B; C etc get 4 plastic trays for each packet and keep them all separate with their identifying tickets. That way you can keep referring back to the excellent instructions for assembly. Also follow the instructions for assemble exactly ie step 1 - step2 - step 3 and so on. Tip: you can use a power screw driver on the internal assembly parts but on the outside more noticeable screws etc take care and use a hand screwdriver to avoid slipping and marking the wood. Tip 3. Lay cabinet flat on its back when fitting doors. The hinge screw positions are marked with a pointed indentation put each screw half way into the wood at the mark for each hinge - do this without the hinge - do the same on the doors - put screws half way into the wood at the marked spot - then take out the screws and attach the hinges to the doors first - then line up the door take the screws out of the frames and then line up the frame part of the hinges with the holes made by the screws and put the screws back into the holes you have created - there is ample adjustment on both the door and frame parts of the hinges so don't worry - this makes a tricky job so much more simple - use a hand screwdriver for all the work on the front of the unit - less chance of slipping and marking the wood - good luck - it's well worth the effort - Brian K.
on 15 July 2015
would recommend lovely quality brilliant instructions once built It is very strong can support a sixty litre fish tank on top of it without any extra support Would but again or similar furniture good packaging
review image
on 3 March 2016
A perfectionist could find some tiny faults, drawers being VERY slightly wonky BUT i absolutely love it!!! And at this price its a bargain! Adds a little shabby chic character great storage and really is a beautiful piece!
review image review image