Mepitel is a porous, transparent and flexible wound contact layer with adherent properties. It consists of a flexible polyamide net coated with a soft silicone layer, Safetac. Mepitel is not absorbent.
Mepitel can be left in place for up to 14 days depending on the condition of the wound which reduces the necessity for frequent primary dressing changes. The porous structure of Mepitel allows exudate to pass into an outer absorbent dressing. The Safetac layer prevents the outer dressing from sticking to the wound and ensures atraumatic dressing changes. The Safetac layer seals around the wound edges, preventing the exudate to leak onto the surrounding skin, thus minimises the risk of maceration.
Benefits of Mepitel
- Minimises pain and trauma at dressing changes
- Can remain in place for up to 14 days which in turn ensures undisturbed wound healing
- Enables less frequent dressing changes
- Minimises the risk of maceration
- Safetac Technology - patented soft silicone adhesive
- Maintained product properties over time - leaves no residues and does not dry out
- Transparent for easy wound inspection during application and during wear
- Conforms well to body contours, promoting patient comfort during wear
- Stays in place
- Low potential for skin irritation and allergy
Safetac is a patented soft silicone adhesive technology. On the wound, Safetac assures non-sticking and minimal trauma on removal even in critical situations when the exudate starts to dry out. On the skin, a dressing with Safetac has gentle but secure adhesion with no epidermal stripping or pain on removal.
The soft silicone seals around the wound edges, preventing the exudate from reaching the surrounding skin, thus preventing maceration. The open mesh structure allows exudate to pass vertically into a secondary absorbent dressing pad, which must be changed as required by the conditions