on 4 October 2008
Had this for a couple of years now. Kids have thrown it around and it's been under other toys at the bottom of the toy box etc. Still in one piece though. Quality build and hardwearing.
I have used this to help kids with the concept of adding and subtraction. Can't say that this is their favourite toy. They'd rather play with their NDS than with this. But has an educational value and they get a concept of addition and subtraction for their maths through this. Would recommend it for 4+yrs in my opinion, but others may have different experiences.

Update May 2014
Have had several kids use it (bigger than average family!!) and my 3 year old is using it now. Still as good as new. Very hardwearing and solid toy. The colours of the beads and the appearence of the wood still good. It has been a very good purchase.
These days things you buy don't last long. But nice to have something all my kids have used and still almost as good as when the first child received it. If I get around to it I will upload a picture.
I hope these ones they ship now are as good as the one that I received many years ago (saw this on Amazon for £6 recently, which is cheaper than I paid years ago and represent good value).
on 29 April 2010
My little grand-daughter was having difficulty in grasping the concept of 'tables' and I could think of no better way of helping her than by using the old-fashioned method of the Abacus. She is really keen and enthusiastic and thoroughly enjoys using this colourful method of counting, adding, subtracting etc. Problem solved! Must say though.. not a toy as such but a fun way of learning the basics of mathematics.
on 7 March 2010
Before buying this abacus, I was reading reviews of various abaci on Amazon. Other reviewers wrote of products which fell apart almost immediately. There's no chance of this abacus falling apart almost immediately or, I would imagine, in the long term. It's an extremely well constructed educational toy, clearly made from good quality materials, and if by chance anything does break then it has a lifetime guarantee. I can recommend this abacus without reservation.
VINE VOICEon 9 February 2010
Extremely well made quality Abacus. Solid wood frame very securely put together. Thick shiny metal rods and sturdy wooden beads.

Height approx ~ 12" (30cm).
Width at the widest base point approx ~ 12" (30cm).
10 rows of 10 beads ~ Navy Blue, Dark Red, Natural Wood, Dark Green and Yellow.

As a baby, my little one loved to bash the beads as they are beautifully tactile. They offer no resistance gliding effortlessly across the sturdy metal rods, creating a lovely noise as they crash into each other. Hands and feet would be moved up and down enjoying the smooth rolling sensation of the beads, moving them side to side to make the noise.

As a toddler, holding the frame and tilting it side to side to create LOUD crashes. We count the beads, moving each in turn. I find this helps to slow down and touch count, improving hand eye co ordination. This helps with colour learning and reinforcement as the beads are lovely and bright. When older we will use this as a numeracy aide but for now this more a sensory toy and percussion instrument.

We find this to be a multi use abacus, relevant from baby upwards. This will be in our family for many years to come, God willing.
on 9 March 2012
This abacus is great, it has really helped my son get to grips with number bonds, times tables. He can visualise the sums now which has led to greater understanding. I would recommend this product. Good value for money I think too.
on 19 February 2011
I gave this to my 2 yr old grandson for Xmas. He was spoiled rotten and received lost of toys but the one he picked and played with for the rest of the day was this one. He has fun starting to count, to learn colours, enjoys moving the beads back and forth: There are endless educational permutations. It is a sturdy toy which he will enjoy for many years to come.
on 25 February 2011
love this abacus, my daughter is just starting to learn maths and this a a great tool for her. she loves using it to count, and its a great way to help her to add, subtract and multiply.
ideal for all young learners.
on 28 November 2011
Pleased with this purchase. I looked at loads of options online and instore (and there are quite a few!) before buying this one. More expensive compared to may others but went by the reviews posted here and happy with my decision. As far as functionality / usefulness go, its an Abacus and I guess every kid should have one (enough said). Took a few days for my daughter to get interested in it but it is now part of her selection of favourite toys. The reason I would recommend this is that it is very sturdy and has withstood quiet a bit of bashing. It feels solid and is heavy compared to other I have seen in stores. It is not very big but is handy for transportation and I can't see why one needs a giant abacus.
on 17 July 2011
I bought the abacus to help my autistic child visualising numbers in units and tens as they do at school and it has done the job brilliantly... I have another younger son who has benefited as well from the learning! Is a fun toy and of good quality, Many thanks for the product!
on 5 October 2010
perfect - my daughter ~ 20 months old - hasn't managed to break it yet which shows how strong this is!