on 22 October 2012
This is an excellent resource which I use in the classroom with my KS3/4 students. It is an excellent way of time-keeping, as the students tend not to argue with the timer! Even if they have not finished. One of the best facilities available is the "random student generator" and the "random team generator", which keeps them on their toes. I bought it as I was having trouble fitting in all my plenaries in lessons, and found some students were taking a bit longer to write from the board (they seem to find no urgency). It has helped a lot, it might be a good tool for when Ofsted visit... not had the pleasure yet.
on 4 August 2013
Good size. Wish it had come with the charger but batteries work really well! Great options of settings.
Took 2 weeks longer than expected to arrive however the suppliers were amazing and fixed the mix up quickly!!
on 4 December 2015
I bought this quite skeptically, since I'm a secondary school teacher and I've been looking for ages for a big timer suitable for classroom use.

I've only had it 2 days and already it's proving extremely useful! I've only used the countdown timer option but the kids I teach love it and it really adds pace to the lesson. I used to use timers on powerpoints or the internet, but got annoyed when I had to freeze the slide, or change the time last minute (not really possible). It's very useful to have an independent timer.

It's easy to use once you get the knack of it, and very easy to see even at the back of a classroom with a capacity for 30 children.

It doesn't come with batteries, you need 6 x AA size. You can buy an power adapter which is essential if you want to use the backlight. It beeps when you've got 10% of the time left, and then again when you finish. You can mute it or alter the volume easily.

So far very pleased with this timer!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 December 2014
This is a really excellent gadget. The thing I use most is the timer but do use number selector for randomly picking students and the stopwatch feature. The kids really like it, it's clear & very visible and it makes it much easier to keep up the pace and stops me getting distracted.
The first set of batteries ran out pretty quickly for some reason but the replacements have been in there months and I never turn it off. The reason it doesn't get a 5 is that a) they don't supply a mains charger which would be handy b) the cost is pretty high (about £45) which is a bit crazy for a classroom timer. I got it as a present and when I looked it up for a colleague I was pretty horrified...! However, amazingly, there is nothing similar out there (a timer which is large enough to be visible across a room) so I suppose we are a captive audience...
on 27 February 2015
Product arrived promptly the next day even though it says you have to wait longer. Large enough for whole class to see and has some really fun options such as random student selector, date/time, countdown, timer etc. haven't used it with my classes yet but tried it out on my own children and they absolutely love it as they can now see the time for themselves and love the random selector option. It uses 6 AA batteries, I have given it 4 stars even though there is nothing wrong with the product/seller but because people have previously complained that it have a mains operated option. It actually does however no mains plug is provided. For the hefty price tag it would be nice to have the plug too, hence 4 stars.
on 20 November 2014
I bought it thinking it would help classroom management but I've had t revert to a much simpler timer as it is not the most straightforward to set when in a busy classroom. Great displays though.
on 30 December 2014
Difficult to open the battery section. Used for 8 weeks now. Great for timing short activities when you don't want to interrupt a presentation on the IWB. Keeps a great track on activities in lessons to reinvest time in learning. Students love the mega timer. Handy piece of equipment. Switch off at the end of everyday to preserve battery.
on 19 July 2014
I use it a lot with secondary school kids, help keep up pace of lesson and random number generator great for selecting students to answer questions. Also made use of stop watch when timing student presentations. Batteries lasted all year.
on 28 January 2013
It is expensive, but I am glad I purchased it. I use it every lesson, from count downs for activities, to stop clock how long class keep me wait (so lose break time!) and the class particually enjoy the random selector, you can adjust to suit class size and each pupil has a number, the love waiting for their number to appear! It looks the part and does the job. If you fancy it but think it is too dear like I did, take the plunge, treat yourself you will not regret. It does take 6 AA batteries. It is about A5 in size.
on 16 October 2014
Good product with good features.
Quite brittle as the screen cracked on mine on the second transit to work.