Format: HardcoverChange

on 25 April 2013
If you enjoy a scientific and factual ripping yarn this could be the book for you. The book centers on one of the key scientific questions of the 'Enlightenment' and takes the reader through the entire event sequence. The shape of the Earth was an important question and this book takes us on an exciting and informative journey from the forming of the question in the minds of Descartes and Newton to the final conclusion of the mission and even the circumstances of the deaths of the participants in old age. On a personal note; I live near Novelda and the birth place of Jorge Juan, one of the Spanish contingent. I have visited the house he was born in and seen his statue in the centre of Novelda. This book has answered many questions I had about the man himself.
If you like factual books, this is worth your consideration. I read it from cover to cover and enjoyed every page.
on 19 December 2014
Lasting memory of this book is just how long the journeys and surveys took. I think, in modern times, we are so used to most things being done quickly, it takes you back to realise that people would be prepared to spend so much of their lives so far from home and family. The sheer sense of perseverance is quite staggering.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse