on 14 June 2005
I booked a tour to Mauritius in May-June 2004. Although I went with a travel agency, this book proved to be indispensable.
It consistently proved to be faithful to reality. I am rating it a five star based on my Mauritius experience only.
First and foremost, this guide provides a detailed map, essential for locating yourself on the island.
The book also provides accurate and reliable description of the various attractions and things to do.
The traveling tips concerning transportation, food and local culture were extremely helpful and saved me precious vacation time.
On top of all this, it provides a wealth of information on hotels and restaurants.
My advice:
- The prices in the book might be a little off now. It seems that the local currency, the Rupee, is pegged to the Euro which makes this island more expensive for US travelers (advice based on the currency conversion at the time)
- Beware of tourist shops, their prices are 5 times the price you can get for the same item on the popular market.
- Go visit the popular markets, you will find nice exotic hand crafted items and some world renowned vanilla beans.
- Take hiking trips, there is some breath taking scenery out there
- And of course, take advantage of the magnificent beaches and water activities
on 14 July 2009
My partner and I honeymooned in Mauritius earlier this year and as we both like exploring we bought this book - I am really glad we did: there was so many attractions featured in the book but not available through the tour operators or hotel and with the help of this book and local taxis we planned several days out independantly (with success) which I am sure were much cheaper and more enjoyable than any organised tours. Definately value for money.
on 23 October 2010
I'm astonished by the raving reviews of this book. It's OK I guess, but while in the region I saw something quite Interesting. In French Lonely Planet publishes two separate books: "Lonely Planet Reunion, Maurice et Rodrigues" (Maurice is of course Mauritius) and "Lonely Planet Seychelles". The first is much thicker then this book, the second is smaller, but still thicker then the Seychelles section here. And what has been omitted for the English addition? A lot... about 50% of all non-essentail texts (on culture, history etc) and about one in five hotel / restaurant recommendation. So if you are looking for a plain guidebook, it will do, but it's really not that good. Bradt Guides Mauritius and Bradt Guide Seychelles are much better for their respective countries. For Reunion (if you don't speak French) this is your best bet as it's coverage in Bradt's Mauritius is patchy to say the least. BTW: if you do speak French, LP's French guides are still not considered the best and most informative. The Petit Fute series "Maurice et Rodrigues", "Reunion" and "Seychelles" are the creme de la creme for these destinations, with the first two updated annually.
on 29 September 2013
Accidentally purchased an old edition (2004) for a trip to Mauritius so prices and some information was out-of-date. Otherwise reasonable useful but I felt it was aimed towards travellers who are on a tight budget. Some of the recommended restaurants weren't that great either. I also wasn't keen on the comparisons between Mauritius, Reunion and Seychelles - I felt they should have covered them all quite separately. Some poor editing too. Overall it was satisfactory but if I was going again I'd get another brand.
on 17 July 2009
I have planned a 5 week trip to Mauritius using this book. It tells you everything you need to know and more, and I'll be bringing it with me as it's not too bulky.
on 6 July 2013
Updated version available, but this one is fine for general information. 2003 I think. I love the Lonely Planet books.
on 11 February 2015
'Does what it says on the tin!' A typical Lonely Planet book.
on 18 February 2015
Excellent information. East to follow. Enhanced holiday.
on 1 June 2015