on 17 May 2013
Initially was looking for something to support my 6 year old's maths as she freezes with numbers. this has helped her a lot. shes confident to go off on her own and give the questions a try. and she enjoys it enough to come and ask if she can do more "maths homework" today. Pages are very clearly illustrated, and explained; and i have purchased the next one for her age group plus others from the same range. would recommend to any little one who wants to boost their confident with numbers and explore that maths is not at all difficult if explained clearly.
on 6 September 2011
I bought these first of all to give my son something to occupying him through the summer holidays, but also to give myself some idea what they would do during Key Stage 1. He had really enjoyed doing them (bought all the KS1 ones) and they have done exactly what I wanted them to. They were a challenge, but he's definitely going back to school still remembering what learning is about & still being able to write!
on 21 July 2012
Took a few of these books on holiday [what a wicked mother I am] and my boys [aged 5 and 7] really enjoyed them. They are quite competitive, which always helps, and they really liked the whole idea of getting a star every time they completed a page. The way the book is written means they gradually progress. Great stuff.
on 16 May 2012
Superbly laid out and great progression from basic to "more advanced" maths for the budding child genius! Have helped our 6 year old tremendously. The layout of each page of exercises makes him regard them as more of a puzzle type book, rather than educational, which he enjoys far more. This means no stress involved, leading to a healthy learning environment. Star system works well as it is awarded as a star per page rather than per session so more stars can be awarded if your child is feeling mentally switched on and wishes to work on! At £2.99 per book these are great value.
on 6 March 2013
I was keen to give my kids a little boost to their school maths work and have tried a number of primers without success until I hit on this series.....
I have a 4yo and 6yo and have bought all the books for that age range and the kids are working through them fast. Problems are varied and relate to the real world, there are support notes for adults and, best of all, the gold star system really motivates the kids.
I highly recommend these books ....
on 4 December 2014
I think you check that you have bought the 2014 version as these previous versions don't include partitioning which I believe is the new way or curriculum for adding otherwise I am a fan of these series of books and kids love them
on 19 May 2016
We used this in the school summer break between Year 1 and Year 2 (UK) when our son seemed to be missing working with numbers. We didn't force any of it and he was able to choose which pages he fancied tackling each time he picked it up. The pages are bright and friendly without being too heavy and a big draw were the gold star reward stickers for completing each page. There are enough stickers for the page to be given a star and the child!
By the end of the summer break he had completed about 90% of the book and he never picked it up again - once school started he had sufficient brain fuel to not need anything extra!
on 2 June 2014
My 4 and half year old loves this book. It starts very simply just practicing writing numbers several times and getting them in the right order from 1-10 etc. As the book progresses it is a little trickier, and I'm certain that it will need going over several times, but it is a great way to start younger children on the right path to enjoying numbers and maths. Just looking at the numbers and seeing them as fun is very positive introduction to the world of maths. Having gold stars to award for every page is a cause of great excitement as well!
Got this as a workbook for the summer holidays to help with our little boy's maths age 4 to 5. It is good, and he liked it, but the nature of it being a book, with progress meant it got left after a while. In the end we have found a pad of paper, a pen, and Dad spending 10 minutes a week showing how clever he is at maths, means a lot more gets learned. So this is good as a starter - after that - the personal interaction with a parent and pen and paper is probably more effective I think.
on 9 April 2013
I bought this for my 5yr old who was struggling at school with numeracy. She really enjoys sticking the gold stars to her completed pages and it has improved her ability and confidence with numbers. My only comment would be that having only one page on different areas of maths is not always enough to secure what is being learnt. However I would recommend this book and will buy from this series again.