The first complete, practical guide to XPages development - direct from members of the XPages development team at IBM Lotus
Martin Donnelly, Mark Wallace, and Tony McGuckin have written the definitive programmer's guide to utilizing this breakthrough technology. Packed with tips, tricks, and best practices from IBM's own XPages developers, Mastering XPages brings together all the information developers need to become experts - whether you’re experienced with Notes/Domino development or not. The authors start from the very beginning, helping developers steadily build your expertise through practical code examples and clear, complete explanations. Readers will work through scores of real-world XPages examples, learning cutting-edge XPages and XSP language skills and gaining deep insight into the entire development process. Drawing on their own experience working directly with XPages users and customers, the authors illuminate both the technology and how it can be applied to solving real business problems.
Martin Donnelly previously led a software startup that developed and distributed small business accounting software. Donnelly holds a Commerce degree from University College Cork and an M.S. in Computer Science from Boston University.
Mark Wallace has worked at IBM for 15 years on many projects as a technical architect and application developer.
Tony McGuckin participates in the Lotus OneUI Web Application and iWidget Adoption Workgroup. He holds a bachelor's degree in Software Engineering from the University of Ulster.
From the Back Cover
The Definitive XPages Development Guide--Straight from the XPages Team at IBM Lotus
XPages is the most significant improvement to Lotus Notes/Domino development in 20 years. Now, three IBM Lotus insiders have written the definitive programmer’s guide to this breakthrough web application development framework. Packed with tips, tricks, and best practices, Mastering XPages brings together all the information you need to become an XPages expert, whether you’re experienced with Notes/Domino development or not.
The authors begin with a high-level overview of XPages: how it works, why it works that way, and why it’s such a powerful step forward. Next, you’ll install XPages and Domino Designer, and start building your expertise through practical code examples using real-world XPages applications. As you progress, you’ll master XPages from the bottom up, gain deep insight into the entire XPages development model, and discover how XPages can be used to solve everyday application development challenges.
• Understanding how XPages development differs from--and is similar to--traditional Notes/Domino development
• Getting started with XPages development using Lotus Domino Designer
• Defining application metadata and binding XPages controls to Domino data
• Managing all aspects of Domino view and document data
• Navigating and linking XPages to form a cohesive application
• Building XPages business logic using various programming technologies
• Reading and writing XPage source (XSP markup) directly
• Mastering XPages programming and extensibility features, including custom controls, advanced scripting, as well as creating your very own components
• Making the most of XPages applications on the Notes client platform
• Building slick and effective application user experiences using themes
• Tuning XPages performance and maximizing application scalability
• Securing applications with Access Control Lists (ACL), Execution Control Lists (ECL), and Active Content Filtering (ACF)