The one book you absolutely need to get up and running with Windows Server 2008 R2.
One of the world's leading Windows authorities and top-selling author Mark Minasi explores every nook and cranny of the latest version of Microsoft's flagship network operating system, Windows Server 2008 R2, giving you the most in-depth coverage in any book on the market.
- Focuses on Windows Windows Server 2008 R2, the newest version of Microsoft's Windows' server line of operating system, and the ideal server for new Windows 7 clients
- Author Mark Minasi is one of the world's leading Windows authorities and has taught tens of thousands of people to design and run Windows networks
- Covers Windows storage concepts and skills, Windows Server 2008 IP, WINS, NetBIOS, LMHosts, DNS, creating the simple Active Directory, and creating and managing user accounts
- Explains Group Policy in Active Directory; files, folders and shares; Sysvol, old and new; sharing printers on the network; remote server administration; connecting Windows clients to your network; working the Web with IIS 7.0; and AD maintenance and recovery
- Provides workarounds for things that don't quite work as they should and how-tos for many undocumented features
Find out everything you want to know-and then some!
From the Back Cover
Your Essential Guide to Windows Server 2008 R2 If you′re a systems administrator, Windows Server 2008 R2 can help you streamline workflows, automate functions, virtualize, and get the most out of Windows 7. And with the step–by–step instruction in this comprehensive guide from leading Windows authority Mark Minasi, you′ll get there even faster. This book not only walks you through Windows Server 2008 R2 from the ground up, it also describes features and workarounds to help you optimize your Server 2008 environment. It′s packed with information—you′ll soon master the new Active Directory®, Remote Desktop Services, Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper–V, and much more. This is the perfectgo–to reference on Windows Server 2008 R2. Coverage includes: Getting up to speed on all the new technology and features in R2 Performing a clean, manual installation on a virtual or lab machine, or doing an unattended installation Understanding Server Core and what is new in Windows Server 2008 iPv4 Creating a one–domain, one–location, simple Active Directory (AD) Managing user accounts, group policies, and files and filesharing Setting up routing, VPNs, additional sites in Active Directory, and more Adding Mac clients and administering Remote Desktop Services Updating your system with Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) Deploy Windows Server 2008 R2 in Your Enterprise Learn Tips and Workarounds from Windows Guru Mark Minasi Master Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper–V, Remote Desktop Services, and More Integrate with Windows 7 Streamline and Automate Routine Server Administration Tasks Reinforce Your Skills with Real–World Examples