Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 8 December 2013
If this is what the first issue of Massacre Magazine is like, I can't wait for the 2nd!

The editors have come up trumps with the first edition of their magazine. For one thing, where can you find 62 pages of top notch horror for just 77 pence?

The magazine combines short stories, flash fiction and a highly informative interview with author Rupert Smith. Hadn't come across him before, but I'm off to buy GRIM now.

Then to the short stories. To mention a few of my favourites: Savage Work - great. Loved the build up of tension, identifiable characters, great plot and a whizz bang ending. All ingredients which make, for me, a satisfying read. There Are Worse Things Than Loneliness took me with it, eagerly turning the pages and propelling me along. I didn't expect the story to turn out the way it did and I always love a twist in the tale, so that one definitely floated my boat.

Head of the House by Steve Emmett had everything I need to make me want to read on, in mounting, horrified fascination. I loved the way the story developed. Highly original and would make a great short film.

Safe Harbour by Julia Kavan. Loved the intense, brooding atmosphere. Wonderfully dark, gripping. Will Gary find Jessica? What is real and what is fantasy? I knew trouble was coming. Brilliant ending. Couldn't have been better. A delicious shiver to end this first collection of short stories.

Then a horror poem. That's something you don't see every day, and I enjoyed The Ripper. I thought the poet evoked the atmosphere of his subject and laid before us a debauched soul in a blood-drenched setting. It worked for me.

If you're a horror writer - or any sort of writer really - or even if you're not, but thought you might like to have a go, have a look at the picture they've chosen to inspire you for their Spring Flash Fiction competition. I'd defy anyone not to start thinking up a story once they look at that!
on 10 December 2013
As Massacre Magazine's byline says: "Feed the Fear" and if you're a horror story lover, then be prepared to stoke the fear up. Plenty of reading matter here starting with an excellent flash fiction winning story based on an intriguing picture. Steve Emmett's Head of the House reminded me of a scarier Roald Dahl story, Jack the Ripper was definitely present in Paul Holbrook's Chain Me Not in Heaven, Dana Wright serves up a dose of zombies, and Julia Kavan's Safe Harbour will haunt me next time I'm on the beach. Excellent reading at an excellent price.
on 30 December 2013
Horror from lots of different authors and I love that they don't have a single magazine editorial style so you get the story in the flavour of English the author intended, whether it is British or American English.
on 10 October 2014
Some great dark and twisted stories here, perfect entertainment to take the stress out of my daily commute!