Colour Name: Pink|Change

Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Despite the "for Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD" mentioned in the product description, this is just a generic small powered speaker, which connects to any device with a 3.5mm headphone jack - so that's pretty much every media player, phone or tablet out there.

First impressions of this product were good - it's fairly heavy, and feels well made and solid. The weight of it helps stop it bouncing around to the bassline if turned up loud, and if placed on a suitable surface (a table or similar), it seems the surface helps it to produce louder bass, too (naturally - if it's heavy enough to stay put, some of the vibrations will transfer to the surface it's on).

Sound quality is impressive, with decent volume from such a small unit. I think I'd have been more blown away by it if I didn't already have an X Mini capsule speaker (a similar item) to which I'd naturally compare it. However, if you haven't played with these kind of speakers yet, the sound level achievable from such a small unit is quite remarkable.

Compared to the X-Mini device, the maximum volume attainable without major distortion is similar, but this product seems slightly bass-heavy than the X-Mini (perhaps a little *too* much with some songs, in fact). As long as the player you're connecting it to has tone controls/equalizer, you can compensate for that happily. The previously-mentioned weight of this unit helps it produce some bass without bouncing around excessively; the lighter X-Mini unit can often be observed to bounce along the surface it's on, moving a little with each beat!

Two features I miss from the X-Mini device which are missing in this product are a volume control and a built-in audio lead. Whatever you connect this to will almost surely have a volume control to use, so it's not the end of the world, but I did find the X-Mini's simple volume wheel useful; it seems odd to exclude a cheap and easy to add control. The X-Mini also has a built-in short audio input cable which stows neatly in the base of the unit, so you needn't carry a separate cable unless you want more distance between the source device and the speaker (which can, admittedly, be handy). This product has only an audio input, with no built-in cable, so if you should forget to bring the cable with you, you can't just fall back to the built-in one.

Finally, the X-Mini device has a "buddy jack" feature, where you can "chain" multiple units together for increased output; whilst that feature is missing here, it's something I hardly ever actually used, so it's not too sorely missed.
review image review image review image
on 17 June 2013
Sound improved the Kindle's tinny sound a lot. For music it is bassy and not enough top - the settings probably reflect dominant music tastes I suppose. The main prob. is that the jack is not long enough to go into the Kindle through the cover - you have to remove it. Apart from that - great for travel.
on 28 August 2014
I spend a fair amount of time away from home and want something portable so I can listen to music or audiobooks while cooling my heels in a hotel. This fits the bill.

It's very small, but surprisingly capable. It's ideal for small quiet rooms such as hotel rooms, but would struggle outdoors or in a noisy environment. Audio fidelity is hardly high-end, but that's not the purpose here. It's perfectly serviceable and does the job.

The speaker does not have its own volume control; the volume is controlled by the source device, with the speaker amplifying whatever it receives. If the source signal is too high the sound will distort; the built-in amplifier is actually a bit too strong for the speaker. The ideal volume "sweet spot" will likely vary from source device to source device, so some experimentation will be called for.

The battery life is fine for me; the most I've ever used it for at any one time is 2 hours, and it still didn't need recharging. I don't know how well it would fare for longer use.

Finally, the colour is delightfully garish, so I'm unlikely to lose it among the myriad black devices which litter my life.
on 31 October 2013
Despite saying for use with a kindle fire it does not come with a suitable lead for it!!! what a complete let down and I have returned it immediately
11 comment| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 January 2013
Very pleased with this very neat mini speaker, which can be carried in a pocket. as one can see in the photo of the item iy can be opened or closed making it compact. Just what I wanted for use with my Kindle Fire, Great.
on 20 June 2013
I've found this speaker to be temperamental and will suddenly stop working even when fully charged. Also have had to shut down and restart my Kindle Fire to get the speaker to work, sometimes I have to do it 2 or 3 times to get the speaker to work. I can't even get the speaker to work when I listen to the radio on my Kindle. I hadn't read any reviews about this happening, so wonder if others have the same experience. When it works, it's great, but it's too temperamental and not reliable. I'll try it for a bit longer but I'm not very optimistic.
on 10 May 2013
This portable speaker is ideal for traveling or somewhere that there is no electric supply eg beach, garden. The charge lasts for over 5 hrs and the sound is better than you would expect from such a small speaker, and can be charged from your kindle wall/electric charger. One thing I would point out, do not try to open it as far as it shows on the instructions, the speaker only opens slightly. I bought this for my kindle fire and I'm very pleased with it.
on 26 September 2013
Bought this speaker for my new Kindle Fire but unfortunately could not get it to work though it was fine with my son's mp3 player. Also the cables were far too short so have sent it back! In future I will read all the reviews before buying any accessories as this seems to be a common problem with this bit of kit.
on 27 October 2012
was excited when this arrived same day as my kindle fire. opened the package to discover the cables not compatible. this is very annoying as it is a recommended accessory and now i have the bother of finding yet another cable. this should be pointed out in the blurb when you buy
44 comments| 220 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 17 November 2012
Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This pocket sized marvel is outstanding! Considering it's only one speaker and no bigger than a pot of vitamins or a jar of ink, it packs quite a punch!

We put it on the arm of the sofa initially to test it out, and you could feel the bass vibrate through the whole thing. It seems to not only be pretty powerful on its own, but borrows the surface it's placed on to amplify sound even more.

If you're looking for a sturdy, well built, pocket sized speaker for your iPhone, Kindle, laptop, or indeed anything with a mini jack, then you're probably not going to find much better than this little guy. Love it! I used to take an iPod and dock into college to play music to the class, but this thing is far superior and whole lot more portable.

My only gripe, and this is more to the manufacturer than about the device, is that considering hardly anyone actually reads the instructions on these things (well most blokes anyway), having a diagram showing the device being stretched under the words "Before Use" is a really bad idea! When it is actually open, you can only see about one crease of the diaphragm unit, but the diagrams show it with four and the warning diagram makes it look like a mini accordion. So Mareware, fix your diagrams and put a big warning X through the warning one! Seriously it currently looks like and instruction to do the very thing it's warning against!

That said, awesome speaker!
33 comments| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse