on 12 March 2011
This grinder is great and really grinds spices down a treat. I didn't think it would because the blades do not go right to the bottom of the container but I was wrong. I had trouble finding something to grind tiny, weeny mustard seeds and this grinder just zapped them within seconds. Star Annis is a pain to grind in the pestle and mortar - zap, zap and it was done in the grinder.

The reservation and the reason for 3 rather than 5 stars, is that you cannot wash the inards and spice powder comes out of the sides. I tried to wash the lid but it got water all inside the double skin and it took me ages to dry it out - won't do that again. Also, the grinder itself could do with a removable bowl so that it can be removed for washing. A really strong bristle pastry brush is very useful for brushing out residue and then use a piece of dry kitchen roll to wipe out.

We eventually contacted Wahl about the item and they let us return this grinder to them and they provided us with the newer model. The newer model allows you to take out the grinder bowl for washing and also has a small dome like thingy to put inside the grinder for use when grinding spices - this stops the ground spice powder from coming through the sides.

I'd get the newer version if I was you.
99 comments|281 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
A coffee grinder is never going to be exciting, but one that doesn't work well is going to be extremely short-lived. Woe betide any gadget that gets between a 6am troll and his morning brew. I am that troll.

This James Martin branded grinder from Wahl does the job it is designed for, and does it consistently well. I recently used another grinder for a week, which has a dial to choose the fineness of the grind. It was rubbish. Even on the smallest setting it produced lumpy grounds which made a bad brew.

This grinder keeps it simple - press the button to grind, keep going until you are happy. The semi-clear lid lets you see what is going on and comes off with a short twist.

The blades, after 3 months, are as new and the whole thing gives the impression it will last for a couple of years, which in modern gadgetry is pretty good.

The design is vaguely pleasing to the eye and all-in-all this is a good grinder and, for the price, great value.

Four stars.
1111 comments|539 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 March 2012
I love coffee and have always wanted to perfect my own, so I decided to buy the coffee grinder. All I can say is, its brilliant, it grinds the beans just how I want, it is also extremely easy to clean. If your considering buying one its well worth the money.
on 20 September 2010
I bought this product to use as a spice/seed grinder. I love the shape and it looks good in my kitchen. The wire stows neatly underneath when not in use. I am delighted with the results from this little machine. It grinds seeds,spices and berries to a fine powder in seconds.
The only drawback is the same as with all grinders, they cannot be washed but I found an old pastry brush and a wipe round with kitchen paper does just fine. I would recommend this product to anyone.
on 3 April 2015
I am a spice merchant and professionally grind spices. At home I have had one of these for about 10 years amongst several others. It grinds finer than anything else I have used domestically and also better than some professional grinders I have used. There are some downsides though the lid is fiddly till you get used to it. The lead would be better coming out of the backside rather than underneath as you spend your life tucking the lead into the little niche for it. My old one the writing wore off after about 2 years making it even harder to fit the lid. Upsides are the very fine grinding. I used my old one 3 or 4 times a week for 10 years and it still grinds well only some of the plastic has started to erode where the lid fits on the body so I decided to replace it. Just in case this model isn't around in another 10 years I bought 2 of them. Niggles aside great grinder and finely ground spices. I have never ground coffee in this so cannot comment. Have posted a picture of the new grinder and old one.
review image
on 1 June 2009
It does what it says on the tin! It is a low price grinder that offers a basic functionality. There is no way to alter the fineness of the grind and it cannot be taken apart to wash, so cleaning is difficult. I use mine as a spice grinder and it is perfect for the job, coffee lovers, however, would probably be better spending a little more for some more control.
0Comment|109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 November 2008
Looked smart & reliable, worked great, a lovely birthday present. My first ever coffee grinder and it gave me a taste for the real thing so the coffee must have been fine - but it broke down 3 months in! I didn't use it more than once or twice a week, it certainly wasn't overwork. Now have to buy another, so I guess it did some manufacturer some good by getting me hooked, but I'll never buy wahl again.
on 26 January 2009
I was happy with this grinder for about 6 months. It no longer grinds the beans fine enough for my espresso maker and the coffee is awful. Also, you have to turn the machine upside down to get the grounds out which is a nuisance.
on 2 November 2010
I bought this to grind spices rather than coffee so I wasn't too bothered about reviews I'd read saying that you couldn't get much in it. I think it's brilliant, grinds quickly and perfectly and if you were doing coffee beans you would definitely get enough in to make a full average sized cafetiere which is generally all you need in one go. I also don't mind too much that you can't wash it (washing the lid isn't really advisable either as it is in two layers with two tiny holes on the inside so water gets in between the layers and takes forever to dry out). I've found the easiest way to clean it is to use a soft bristled dry pastry brush to get all the spice dust out then wipe out with a damp cloth followed by a dry one. Takes seconds and really isn't as faffy as it sounds. Overall I'm really happy with it and I'm glad I coughed up a bit more for a better quality one.
VINE VOICEon 30 January 2008
I just ground my first batch of coffee beans and this grinder did the job really quickly with zero fuss.

Holding the grinder, it feels really solid and is a nice weight. Unscrew the cap and drop the beans in; scew-up the cap (it will not work unless the cap is on correctly) and hit the pulse button on the front. There is only one button.

I whizzed for about 15 seconds I guess. I unscrewed the cap and the newly-ground coffee looked fine. One can then pour it out into a lock-tight container for storage in the fridge.

The mains cable can be wound round a 'holder' in the base.

I was going to buy the £55.00 Dualit, but this one -provided it doesn't break- looks like it might do the job just fine.