on 19 November 2013
Mario Kart: Double Dash is the continuation of the much loved Mario Kart series and, despite me reviewing it 10 years late, it's still brilliant today. When I dust off the Gamecube, this is one of the first titles out, and even holds its own to Mario Kart Wii!

With a whole slew of tracks, different game modes (aside from racing, there are battle modes) and combinations of characters, there's a lot here to keep it going - not including the unlockables. It's a brilliant social game that everyone feels like they can play due to being so well balanced. There's been points where the veterans have even lost due to the newbies getting the upper hand!

If you're getting a Gamecube, make sure this is part of your games collection. It's essential!
on 17 November 2003
Well, I've been waiting for this to turn up for ages, and it finally dropped on the mat on Saturday morning as I was on my way out to my mother-in-laws 60th birthday party....noooooooooooooo.....all day I had to spend couped up eating cake, being polite to relatives etc. knowing that DD was there waiting at home.
Having now spent the remaining hours of the weekend playing it, I can definitely say it is worth the wait. What's it like? Well, it's like Mario Kart of course! And that is exactly what we all wanted, isn't it?
The improvements are subtle yet worthwhile - improved graphics etc. The handling of the karts is superb, and playing around with the character/kart combos gives endless possibilities. There is nothing else in life quite as satisfying as power-sliding around a 180 degree hairpin, preferably knocking off a quick red shell in the process.
Make no doubt, I've loved every minute of this game so far, and I haven't even got onto multi-player yet! However, I do have a couple of concerns. First, I'm worried about how long the single-player appeal will last. I'd managed to win gold on all but 150cc star cup after only a couple of hours playing (of course, I've spent many an hour on previous versions of the game, so I'm pretty good.) That said, I haven't finished yet and I'm sure I have more to unlock. Only time will tell on that one. My other moan is about the use of the Z button to swap characters. To me, that button is the only fault of the cube, and it's use during high speed shenanigans can be tricky (I constantly keep firing power-ups when trying to switch drivers and vice-versa.) I'm sure I'll get used to it, though.
But forget those worries, this is still brilliant and a must-have, whether you're new to Mario or a karting die-hard.
on 25 August 2012
Not bad for a Mario Kart game plus it uses two players on one kart not just one that makes getting items fun as you can swap around the charaters here's the fine point of this lovely game you need to know

*they added new special items for the charaters like big Bowser spiked shell which just rams anyone off the road
*lot's of fun levels
*only two players can do the grand prix if you play this with three players then you can't have cpu to race with so only three human players which is a let down
*battle mode is there too if you even get bored with the races

This MK game I like than other games of MK because of the two players thing the Wii version don't have
on 18 August 2003
The latest in the Mario Kart series is here, and this time, you won't be racing alone! Each kart holds two racers and you can chose from the 16 following characters and pair them up any way you see fit:
Mario, (Special Weapon - Red Fireballs)
Luigi, (Special Weapon - Green Fireballs)
Peach, (Special Weapon - Golden Muchroom)
Daisy, (Special Weapon - Golden Mushroom)
Baby Mario, (Special Weapon - Chain Chomp)
Baby Luigi, (Special Weapon - Chain Chomp)
Yoshi, (Special Weapon - Explosive Egg)
Birdo, (Special Weapon - Explosive Egg)
Wario, (Special Weapon - Bo-Bomb)
Waluigi, (Special Weapon - Bo-Bomb)
Donkey Kong, (Special Weapon - Giant Banana Skin)
Diddy Kong, (Special Weapon - (Giant Banana Skin)
Bowser, (Special Weapon - Spiky Green Shell)
Bowser Jr., (Special Weapon - Spiky Green Shell)
Koopa, (Special Weapon - Three Green Shells)
Paratroopa. (Special Weapon - Three Red Shells)
The character in front handles the driving duties, while the character in the back doles out damage with six normal items and eight special items that only specific characters can use. Racers can swap places at any time, so switch it up on the fly to make the best use of your items as you tear around curves and over huge elevation changes. With the Vs. mode now playable online (up to 8 people playing) and the fantastic battle mode where you duke it out with power-ups and items in new battle arenas, this game is bound to be the greatest in the series and one of the best on the Gamecube for a long time to come.
A Must Have!
on 16 November 2003
A few weeks ago I recieved my copy of F Zero GX, and it was good. Insanely fast, tough as nails and needing ridiculous skill to master. But after a few sessions with friends we came to the conclusion that it lacked something... it lacked... arcade. It's too masterful, it doesn't have that beer-and-chips appeal. You all sit around racing your eyeballs out their sockets and when you get beat, you knew you got beat, and the winner knows he's won. Serious.
Mario Kart DD is the opposite end of the scale. It has arcade by the bucketload, and just about anyone can join in and have a blast. Play revolves as much around launching hell at each other as it does on speeding round circuits, and a 4 player two-to-a-cart GP race beats any other multiplayer experience i've had on the GC, or anything else. There are extra carts, characters and tracks to be unlocked, and GP, Vs. and Battle modes (Battle mode comes in three varieties). Handling statistics are straightforward rather than complex. Every pair of characters has their own special weapon, and mixing pairs offers wider possibilities. Every element of the game is designed to be easy to grasp, not dense and complicated. Nothing sticks in the teeth.
Everyone who owns a Gamecube owns it to play this game, even if they don't realise it. Anyone with a GC who neglects the opportunity to own this game, is going to feel like a big idiot somewhere down the line. What a mistake they would have made. This is the game that, in 10 years time when we're playing on new consoles and everyone's forgotten about the Gamecube, people will remember. It's destined to become a classic.
on 25 February 2011
It is hard to say an unkind word about any member of the Mario Kart series of racing video games. They provide unlimited fun for all ages, and the 2009 Gamers Edition of Guinness World Records stated that a panel of judges had voted the series the best in the history of video games.

By that year, sales of the GameCube version of Mario Kart had reached seven million copies. Named `Double Dash!!,' the game, which takes up three blocks of memory card space, is now sold (pre-owned) at between nine and fourteen pounds. It differs from other Mario Kart games because `the authorities of the Mushroom Kingdom' have made a big change in the rules. The change is the fact that there are now two riders per kart - one driver and one weapons operator. Of course, this invites a new sort of multiplayer mode, where 2 players man one kart.

Today, there is a limited market for GameCube titles, but the Wii is backwards compatible with the console. Is this game worth buying for a Mario Kart Wii owner?

In two words, probably not. There are only 12 courses in Double Dash, compared to the 32 in the Wii version. As well as this and despite the unique multiplayer mode, the fact that there are two people in one Kart does not bring much to the game play.

However, Double Dash is still an excellent family racing game, in which the graphics are vibrant and the controls are simple.

SCORES: (out of 20)

Presentation: 13
Graphics: 17
Sound: 14
Gameplay: 16
Lasting Appeal: 13
Total out of 100: 73
on 20 June 2014
I've heard of people that don't like this release of Mario Kart because they thought it was underwhelming after the 7 year wait since the last Mario Kart console release. I am not of that opinion, as you can probably tell by the 5 star rating. I think it is a good step forward from Mario Kart 64 both graphically and gameplay wise. The new elements I also thought were a clever addition and spiced up gameplay enough without alienating either long-time fans of the series or newcomers. I ordered this complete with instructions and along with the instructions it even comes with a little Super Mario Bros 3 poster for the Game Boy Advance which looks very stylish posted up on my wall along with all my other Mario posters and stickers. Would recommend. If you think there aren't enough tracks in the game initially, you can unlock another cup which contains another 4 tracks so it isn't as small as it might seem at first. And it has good replay value as you will probably want to unlock all the characters and karts!!!
on 25 November 2003
I was expecting a lot from Mario Kart: Double Dash!! It sounds incredibly sad, but Mario Kart 64 represents one of the defining characteristics of my early twenties. Many, many, many hours were spent playing multiplayer Mushroom Cup Grand Prix and to this day, my Nintendo 64 is often hooked up and Mario Kart 64 enjoyed as if I’d bought it last week.
There has been no other game until now that has inpsired so much emotion, bad language, frustration and elation than Nintendo’s masterpiece.
One of the worst console mistakes I ever made was swapping my N64 for a Playstation. Fortunately, Sony’s souless, over hyped grey monstrosity met a fiery death in my car when it exploded and I reinvested in Nintendo’s ill fated but brilliant N64 earlier this year.
So, I have been eagerly awaiting Mario Kart Double Dash!! since the summer and I have now had the chance to play it properly. I have to confess that one hour into the game, I was slightly disappointed.
I’ve always liked Nintendo’s game presentation - neat, very simple and crisp. There’s nothing I hate more than complicated menus which clutter the screen and delay the start of the game. MK:DD is clean and simple, just as I wanted.
When the game starts, the visuals were exactly what you would expect - bright, typically Nintendo and just right for the game. The animation and detail on the drivers is the best aspect - the way Koopa Troop juggles his 3 red shells, for example is fantastic. Some of the background visuals aren’t so impressive, but you simply don’t notice.
The music, again, is typically Nintendo - unbelievably catchy and the sort of tunes that you will find yourself whistling for months.
Then we come to the way it plays. This is where my initial disappointment arose. There was something I just didn’t like about the way the karts handled and felt - I didn’t feel in control, it was like I was just a passive bystander watching mayhem unfold in front of me.
Still, I carried on playing and this feeling lasted for about an hour. After that, when I started to get to grips with the corners, and began executing perfect powerslides round tight bends and pipping other karts on the line, it started to feel right. I can’t explain why, but from that point on, the game has just got better and better.
The powersliding technique gives a rally-feel and takes genuine skill and timing to execute successfully. Trying to powerslide round a tight bend, whilst dodging banana skins and giant shells and at the same time unleashing your own weapons and defending yourself againt competitors weapons is extremely demanding and extraordinarily entertaining.
There are numerous touches and improvements, but the most obvious and important one is the two charcters per kart aspect. In itself, it doesn’t radically alter the way the game plays, but it creates more depth. You can now play co-operative, for example, with one player driving and the other controlling the player in the back, dishing out weapons and helping the execution of powerslides.
I could go on for pages and pages about all the tiny improvements and changes, but I implore you to play the game and find out for yourself. All you need to know is that criticism levelled at MK64 has been addressed in this version - more thought has gone into the tracks, which are tighter, shorter and far more interesting; the AI is much better, and very hard to beat; there are now more unlockable aspects and finally, one player mode is now much more of a challenge and worth a look.
The bottom line is that MK:DD is purely and simply, fun. There is no multiplayer game at the moment that even comes close in terms of pure, unadulterated entertainment and even fewer games can keep you captivated till 4.30am. It’s too early to say, but I think it is as good, as the legendary Super Mario Kart on the SNES and definitely an improvement on MK64.
With a market saturated by average first person shooters, movie tie-ins, the same sports games released year in-year out and an obsession with realistic graphics, Mario Kart: Double Dash!! is a refreshing change. I know I’ll be playing if for years to come.
on 3 March 2015
One of the best Mario Karts available. Makes the new Wii U version look terrible. Real good multiplayer / co-op multiplayer functionalities that add a new dimension to an already great series. Personally think that this and Mario Kart 64 are the two to go for (although I was raised on the 64 version so that is probably abit biased!).
on 15 December 2003
This has been one of the most eagerly anticipated games in recent months, and now it's here, it's everything we could have wanted.
For those who don't know, the classic Mario Kart format has been changed so that each kart contains 2 people; one driving and one using the weapons. This adds a new dimension of strategy into the game, and owners will spend time road-testing combinations of racers and cars (of which there are a lot) to get their perfect combination.
The actual handling depends on the car chosen, with the selected characters deciding which special weapons (another new addition to the series) can be picked up. The new special weapons include a chain-chomp, bob-ombs and a giant green shell.
The multiplayer, classically the main selling point of Mario Kart games, is brilliant; fast and furious, with certain tracks packing the racers into tight spaces, where you need to keep an eye on your opponents screen to avoid being hit from behind. The new co-op mode is fun with four players on two karts, but other than that you probably won't use it much.
Overall, this game manages to brilliantly meet expectations, and will provide huge enjoyment to everyone!