Blancmange- Mangetout 2xcd 2008 (remaster)
here it is again, my favorite album from them..
it was a masterpiece when it came, and has
survived the test of time...
although blancmange did not seem to last very long
(3 albums), what they did put out, had a nice impact
at the time, at carved out a niche for them, that no
other group can really fill...
granted, not every track is a winner('my baby','see the train'),
but the majority of them , 'game above my head', 'dont tell me',
'thats love that it is', 'blind vision', and 'the day before you came',
are so strong they carry the album to the great heights
that it deserves...
So lets talk about specifics: for the album
I'm listening through altec-lansing speakers, and also through headphones
1) the album tracks themselves are well preserved,
and sound clear, and full of details/instrumentation..
2) listen to 'thats love that it is' to hear the loud
3) for the softer parts, a song like 'the day before you came'
has a lot of dynamics in it.
4) overall tracks are click free/no skips with
a few variations in tracks .. 'blind vision', and 'the day before you came'
are the single mixes and not the album tracks though..
The bonus tracks/disc:
(note the quality of these tracks vary from very good
1) we got an extended version of 'game above your head'
at the end of disc one, fine, where's the other remix version
of it? (the uk one)
2) most of the extended tracks are represented on
the bonus disc, 'blind vision', 'dont tell me',
'thats love that it is' (both versions), and 'the
day before you came', these are welcome inclusions
3) there's most of the b-sides, and instrumentals also,
these are of more dubious nature, and have been on the
many, many compilations that have been previously released
4) there's one live track 'feel me' included
5) it would have been more complete to include a lot of
the 7" edits for tracks, to fill out the first disc, but
none are here..
6) lastly 'don't tell me' is missing the alternate mixes
i'm torn about this, because it IS a great album,
and it does look like this is as good an attempt
at ever getting these tracks released that we fans
however, there just seems to be a rather haphazard
approach to the tracks, and they are missing some
major releases..and filling them with tracks of
i do recommend it, but i don't give it very high
marks, because it seems the care given to other
releases (like the 'thompson twins), wasnt used