Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 March 2013
Well-written and funny it shows background of previously met characters. Its a brilliant book and I recommend it to everyone who has read skullduggery pleasant. Gives good reasons for evil.(- : (-; 0-!
on 2 April 2013
I got this book on friday and finished it the next day, it was a amazing book we got the return of some old favourite bad guys, one of my favourite things about the hardback versions of the books is the artwork for the front cover and this doesnt disapoint a lovely shot on Tanith and if you open the book you get a excellent artwork of the main 7 bad guys of the story and in the back the main 7 good guys, all excellent pictures. The overall story is alot of fun but while it is a spin off it heavily hints on some events for book 8 and even 9. So I feel even though it is a spin off if someone dosnt read this book and they bring up these events in book 8 or 9 the person may feel lost as it makes some interesting points to possible events for book 8 and something regarding the remement within Tanith and the final chapter is pretty cool which may then resurfuce in the following books.
on 8 April 2013
I should hate Derek Landy. I really should. I spend ages moaning about books that need to run for volumes and volumes. I say the word saga should only apply to holidays where all the stairs come with a lift option. But then there's Skulduggery Pleasant. Sure, they might be surprisingly violent and dark for what is considered a children's book, but they are stunningly entertaining. Somehow the endless supply of one liners, terrific set pieces and brilliant plots never come off as smug. Instead they are pure pleasure. No overly complicated characters or need to sell more books every time. And this spin off is no exception. This time we go into the moodier, more twisted world of the other side of the fence. We get to spend time inside the heads of some of the series better known monsters but this is a trip into the world of vanity and pretension and writing for the sake of sales. Instead there are real characters here and some great moments. So now we reach a dilemma? More Skulduggery or more Tanith...that's not as an easy choice as you'd expect. (Also, I've got to say, I never saw a reference to Jeff Buckley or The Wire coming in a book like this. Didn't see those coming.)
on 14 May 2013
This story is hilarious! I don't know how important it is in the grand scheme of things, or if it affects the main Skulduggery plotline, but it's still a brilliant addition to the collection. Tanith was easily one of my favourite characters, and she hasn't lost her charm. Without too many spoilers, she assembles a team of criminals who play off each other very well, even creating an unexpected love triangle! The good guys are a main feature too, and they work very well together as well, with the added bonus of getting to know Dexter Vex a little better. We are given some insight into Tanith's life and how she came to be what she is, plus an interesting development dating back to the end of the very first book - I'm sure that will be important later on. The story see the return of some of the best characters in the series - Springheeled Jack, Billy-Ray Sanguine, Dusk, Frightening Jones and Black Annis (who you may remember was a troll kind of thing that Tanith arrested in a side story at the end of one of the other books.

All credit to Derek Landy - these are remarkable well written. They're pacey, witty and have a pretty mysterious plotline that the reader has to decipher a little (it's not that difficult to keep ahead of, but you might get a few surprises here and there). This is a must-have for all Skulduggery fans.

Just a quick note - this book IS A SPIN-OFF. It seems people were disappointed by the absence of Skulduggery and Valkyrie. Well, the story isn't about them, it's about Tanith. That said, quite a lot happens and I would recommend reading it because it is likely that the events of this story will have a swing on the next book or two.
on 18 December 2014
What a great excursion in to the sublimely insane! Tanith leads the biggest bunch of nutjobs since c.j. Haughey had a go. 7? Bad versus 7? Bad, dark versus light? Is Tanith all that bad or is she rotten to the core? Who knows! The weapons of the ancients are a true macguffin! Being the basis for a struggle between some of landys most wacky characters. Well worth the read before the skullduggery show takes main stage again!
on 2 April 2013
I bought a this book thinking that if it was anything like skullduggery pleasant I would enjoy it and it was just as good, if not better. I really recommend this book. Hopefully you will enjoy this book as much as I did.
on 11 December 2014
This is about Tanith Low pursuing her own agenda assisted by her malevolent entourage of misfits. Although I'm a great fan of Landy's 'Skullduggery Pleasant' I found this particular tale to be both lacking in his trademark humour and depth. Perhaps I was unfair in expecting too much, but this is not one that I'd re-read.
on 2 May 2015
My daughter loves this series of books, she is 10/11 years old, and usually a girlie girl but this captured her imagination. I bought her the set of the first 3 for Christmas, this was the 9th book she had read since then (& it was only April), I've never known her to read so fast and so frequently.
on 8 January 2014
Love Skulduggery Pleasant? then you HAVE to read this book - largely because its events will be referred to in the final SP books, but also because Derek Landy is a genius, his work masterpieces and the stories so gripping, you physically cannot put the book down. I'm not surprised it won so many book awards, they deserve them all and more!!
This little and lovely addition to the series is fantastic!! A definite MUST-READ!!!
on 21 July 2014
Tanith Low is an interesting character but her backstory was barely revealed. I am unsure of the Remnant issue especially after meeting Moribund. An enjoyable story but barely moved the whole story on and I missed Valkerie and Skullduggery a lot.