on 7 March 2011
Over the years I have bought a few small transistor radios, Roberts, Sony etc to listen to when working outside or doing DIY jobs etc. The problem being they just don't have enough power/volume to overcome work noise and also tend to sound tinny(even worse when cranked up). Also they tend to have no presets, and have a tendancy for the tuning to 'wander' meaning the need for constant adjusting to tune them back in. A decorator friend of mine had the 1st generation Makita BMR100 it has no MP3 input unlike the latest which has, I was impressed, it still worked and sounded great even though it had a hard life.

I wont rattle on about all the specs, pros and cons as there are plenty of reviews on the net. I just wanted to say, it is well made, the plastic is very thick and robust. Its quite compact, plenty of volume, nice tone although some say a bit too much bass, but in my opinion about right (there are no treble or bass controls). It lasts for ages on the battery, I get about 3 days usage out of a well used 5 yr old 14 volt 3.0ah NIMH. Nice to have the presets to swiftly change stations. Tunes into stations very easily. we live in rural west Wales where the reception is pretty poor, and have had no problems in picking up the stations that are available in my area. If there is a hiss on the weaker stations I simply press the button to go from stereo to mono that usually solves the problem.

Some minor negatives, to use it on the mains there is a supplied transformer, plugs into the front, the wire does not seem that robust, not a major problem for me as I prefer to run it on batteries. There is a now a choice of the classic Makita Blue or white (BMR100W). Although the white looks smart, beware, the case of the radio is made from ABS which is prone to going yellow/brown in sunlight. I noticed my friends radio although blue was showing signs of this but hardly noticeable on the blue. I fear on a white radio it may be more obvious, so I went for the blue as well just in case the white did suffer from this problem.

Also note, it does not charge the battery whilst plugged into the mains, not an issue for me, as I have seperate charger that can do that.
0Comment23 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 November 2011
I purchased this radio for work, a fish and chip shop kitchen. The reception with other radios has been poor to say the least, bearing in mind the kitchen is at the back of a large Victorian building, I assumed it was something we had to live with. I decided to spend out this time and try and resolve the problem, anything to make the staff a bit more productive! The reception is great, it's robust,we don't get any interference when we use other equipment, and there are not lots of buttons for the chip boy to play around with. It looks attractive and stays clean, well worth the money.
on 5 May 2010
I had some builders here for a few months and I got to hear this thing more than I wanted to. The sound is great, really nice deep bass and a proportionate mid and treble, no distortion ever.

It is also as tough as old boots. They had had it for four years and they were not kind to it, trust me.

It runs on makita drill batteries and they last and last and last.

So in these important respects the radio is very good. But where it fails is (a) it is has no digital radio capability. This is tolerable I suppose, but where I really take the thing to task is (b)it has no USB Mp3 support. If you want to hear your own programmed music you will have to stick your MP3 player through the auxiliary and this sucks in a very big way. Your Mp3 player is almost certainly not weatherproof and tough and you will have to balance it precariously somewhere near the radio thus destroying the mechanical integrity of the unit. This is exactly what the builders I had were doing. To make it weatherproof they had to put the Mp3 player AND THE RADIO in a plastic bin bag!!!

Makita and their competitors need to update these devices to present day tech.
11 comment14 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 August 2014
Great product have used mine onsite for many years, even using it outdoors for a barbecue party there was more than enough volume, the waterproof battery compartments extra audio socket is handy too for keep your mp3 player dry outdoors.
" BE WARNED NOT ALL MAKITA BATTERIES ARE COMPATIBLE " , was so disappointed recently that i took a new drill back to b+q because of this issue .
See
: http://www.amazon.co.uk/MAKITA-Cordless-Li-Ion-Combi-Drill/dp/B00IXJ4ZD8/ref=sr_1_3?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1408895265&sr=1-3&keywords=hp457dwex2
on 26 August 2013
top bit of kit to keep me working through the day. cant beat it, good on battery, and it takes any makita battery.
on 15 January 2010
speedy delivery all in fab condition and well pleased with the product will definateley purchase products from this site again.
on 9 September 2013
This hasn't actually been used yet as it is a present for my husband.
He works on building sites and always has music playing so I'm sure this is going to be very useful.
It seems very robust and matches all of his power tools so hopefully no batteries!
on 18 January 2014
Recipient very pleased with the gift for christmas to use on a building site. I did not purchase the charger so I would recommend that if you purchase, do this as I had to purchase after christmas & it took quite a while to arrive!
on 19 October 2013
I bought this radio to put in my workshop while I work and It is great sound is so clear when either using with an iPod or as a radio
The sound is just as good even when the volume is cranked right up
on 28 February 2013
bought for my boyfriends birthday prezzi, he lovesss it! He works in the trade so found it fab, works on battery for a long time, can also plug in which is great. Loud, no fuzz.

Pleased overall.