Customer Discussions > Making Money (Discworld Novels) forum

'Making money' sound familiar?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Sep 2007 15:01:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Sep 2007 15:07:35 BDT
Mr mac says:
Is it just me or does the synopsis sound exactly like 'Going Postal'?
I loved going postal and really wanted the story to continue but i find it strange that Moist is introduced again to do, what sounds like, the same job in a bank!! He's even wearing another gold suite!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2007 20:55:07 BDT
Su says:
The difference is that this time they're on to his previous conman lifestyle. But yes it does sound uncomfortably similar

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Sep 2007 16:50:23 BDT
if i was you i'd wait until you read it hes never let us down yet

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Sep 2007 18:01:02 BDT
Mr mac says:
i have no doubts it'l be a great book and i can't wait to read it...but i wouldn't be surprised to see Pratchett re-use previous things.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2007 01:32:04 BDT
Graham Roche says:
Discworld was originally a spoof of the fantasy genre, copying your own storylines wholesale is a major problem in all genres but fantasy most of all. I think terry is highlighting this problem in his own inimical style.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2007 12:40:16 BDT
Su says:
Jane Austin was one of those who made copying a previous idea into an art form.

To be honest I am just looking forward to a new addition to my Pratchett library (I have more of the series than my local library). It's amazing that his books are the most stolen - it shows how popular they are and unfortunately how many people can't afford to buy a book these days. If you counted the stolen in with the sold he is probably the most popular author ever.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2007 12:55:01 BDT
Actually it DOES sound like Going Postal.. am a bit worried, does that mean that Moist has abandoned the post office, then? You reckon he's going to start becoming a major character in Discworld like Rincewind and Vimes?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2007 15:06:50 BDT
Beth says:
yeah, i think he's definitely shaping up to be a more vital character, which is great, to see some new blood in the AM set. i sorta wish we'd get back to william de worde..!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2007 16:15:38 BDT
Brutha says:
I think we are on familiar territory: well written prose, ongoing character development on all fronts, and books that improve with each reading. The best thing about these novels is that the real star is the Discworld itself: for our reader who misses William de Worde, check out Monstrous Regiment; if you have not already done so, you will also get a healthy dose of Vimes into the bargain. If it aint broke, don't fix it, bring it on Terry.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2007 21:30:13 BDT
A. Besch says:
I think Pratchett's never-ending appeal is the fact that he can build on a character, area, or even a joke, over many many books. And similarities between them all is all part of the fun.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2007 23:45:22 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Sep 2007 23:46:08 BDT
JK McLaren says:
If I was Pratchett, I'd really make sure I didn't get bored of writing about the same characters over and over again; so I think he's just having a bit of fun with his character, von Lipwig. Some of his characters appear but don't seem to make a return or be developed, and you get the impression Pratchett realises they're not that great characters. It'll be seen whether von Lipwig can sustain another book, and whether he'll return again in the future. I still think the strongest characters are Vimes and Granny Weatherwax as they're the least 2-dimensional.
As for recycling old ideas, Pratchett's entire methodology of writing is to send up the idea of a small range of stories in the world - patterns of narrative. He's explicit in this in Witches Abroad (I think, without checking) when the witches have to break the power of fairy tales. Then of course he recycles Shakespeare in Wyrd Sisters etc etc. I think he just likes to have fun with it, plus I doubt he'd be lazy enough simply to recycle the Going Postal story wholesale. Without having read Making Money, I'd guess he's cast von Lipwig as Vetinari's troubleshooter.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2007 13:09:17 BDT
Miss Emma says:
Going Postal read exactly like The Truth; there are so many similarities in that too.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2007 14:21:27 BDT
"Making Money" does indeed sound like "Going Postal" by title and plot but then again it is a direct sequel to the book, and, lets face it,it is another cherished institution for the esteemed Mr Pratchett to have some very successful and gentle fun with.And I am in absolute awe of his timing, given all the financial turmoil that has engulfed the real world at the moment.Its almost as if he has "arranged" it all as a bit of a prepublicity stunt!!!.Did he have a quiet chat with the Old Lady of Thread Needle street???Beloved of the gods or what??
And I have to say I really enjoyed "GP" very much,given that that openning chapter is about as clever and funny as any "BlackAdder" sketch and Moist is about as likeable an anti hero as you are ever going to get.And remember in each story that MrP writes he manages to make his characters grow and develop ( I must say that Vimes books are a particular favorite of mine ) in such a way that you really cannot help but root for them. And that, above all is why I read and constantly re-read his books.They are such good company.Light hearted,clever,moral and wise!If you invited them all to a dinner party nobody would want to go home at the end!Which is probably the reason I have a complete shelf of them at home (and that includes a copy of "The Colour Of Magic" which is so old the ink print has started to fade!)I now buy the hardbacks simply because I cannot bear to wait the twelve months to the paperback run and imagine the phone will remain very firmly off the hook when Amazon delivers!
And if you love Pratchett you'll like Jasper Fforde, Carl Hiaasen and a bunch of similar humourous writers.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2007 14:23:44 BDT
E. King says:
I think we're into a series within a series where Terry is going to develop the infrastructure of Ankh-Morpork. He clearly set this one up as a sequel at the end of Going Postal. We've got all the stock fantasy things out of the way, now, and the city feels like a real place. He once said that the idea was that it was a place that kept on with its own existence even when it wasn't being written about. By the way, does anyone else see David Tennant as Moist Von Lipwig?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2007 15:37:05 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Sep 2007 15:43:47 BDT
Su says:
I didn't think that going postal was like the truth - but I'll read it again to see if I can see what you're seeing

In Going Postal the job was offered to Gilt at the end of the book but he ... er ... turned it down - mind you "there is always a choice"

Please not David Tennent as Moist - I getting a little fed up with him - there a little bit of over exposure going on, maybe if they backed off a little with the media exposure I'd find him less irritating

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2007 22:46:48 BDT
Miss Emma says:
Going Postal (post office) The Truth (Newspaper)
Both catalyised by Vetinari. Moist and William were both forced into their situations. Both had competition (Clacks & Dibblers own Newspaper). Both buildings ended up catching fire. The plots are rather similar in a lot of places, that's a couple of the ones I can remember but I haven't read both in a while.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2007 16:46:44 BDT
gold suite? my oh my
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  7 Sep 2007
Latest post:  21 Sep 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Making Money (Discworld Novels)
Making Money (Discworld Novels) by Terry Pratchett (Hardcover - Oct 2007)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (169)