on 9 July 2014
Got this book as a gift for my birthday I'm originally from Newcastle but now living in Maryland USA. I loved the book from beginning to end. The writer has a depth of knowledge concerning all aspects of soccer and for me covered just about every issue i have ever encountered on and off the field concerning soccer. This is one of those books that as you go through it you think damn I wish i had read this book before i ever got into coaching. I also work as a coaching educator for a state soccer association and I will be adding this book to my recommended reading list to all future students.Ive checked and its available on the USA Amazon site too. In fact I bought a copy from there for my kindle so I can keep referring back to the book when I don't have the paperback with me. Yes its that good a resource of knowledge
on 2 June 2014
I'm not a lover of the 'beautiful' game, in fact I don't know one end of a football from another but that's not why I bought this book. I bought it because as a teacher and (ex) youth worker, I wanted to explore some of the strategies that Ray puts forward in the book to use in my own practise.
The chapters are engaging and thought provoking and (even) I liked the tales from football professionals that the author has slid in at the end of chapters.
I will definitely be utilising some of the strategies put forward in 'Making The Ball Roll' and using them in my own practise, to get and give the best for the learners I work with.
Don't limit this book by assuming its just related to football tactics, it really isn't.
on 18 August 2014
Making the Ball Roll is simply a 5 star coaching resource produced by author Ray Power.

We first came across Ray’s work in February 2013, when he produced a series of features for studentofthegame.co.uk - then as now - he produced very good evidence based work. He would go further than most writers to find the evidence to back up his views and opinions. Ray Power is a 31 year old UEFA A Licence coach with a decade of experience of working with young soccer players in Ireland, Switzerland and England.

Securing a BA Degree in 2004, Ray went on to qualify as a teacher. Having worked in the classroom environment, Ray took his teaching to the soccer field, working with players of various ages, backgrounds, and within several professional academies in England. Ray is currently the Academy Manager at Central College and is a Coach Educator with the English Football Association.

Making the Ball Roll is an in-depth guide to coaching youth football, covering a vast number of themes that can get even the most experienced youth coaches thinking. In summary this book is highly recommended and a must buy for anyone with an interest of youth development, not only those within football/soccer.

Power has provided readers with a complete and evidence based guide to youth coaching.

Ultimately this book is your versatile midfield playmaker. It is suitable for those working with U7 on the soccer field or to those working with college students in the classroom.

Making the Ball Roll is about sharing best practice with the reader. Ray, has gone into great detail to provide the reader with information from grassroots to academy, all of which is transferable to other professions.

The author uses detailed graphs and images in various sections of the book to cater for the more visual learners amongst us. Some of these diagrams are great tools that those within the game can use to improve their own coaching methods and practice.

You should order this book from Bennion Kearny as it is so well written that it easy to pick up and choose what part of the book you’d like to read.

So you’re still not sure if Making the Ball Roll is the right book for you?

Too experienced to own a complete guide to youth coaching?

Not got an interest in football coaching?

Well let studentofthegame.co.uk shed some light on it for you.Regardless of your experience, Making the Ball Roll is a great resource. It is easy to read and easy to implement information from the book. It so well written that you can just pick it up and read any section that relates to a problem, question or challenge you may have.

This book will reinforce key messages that you may already know. It will also give you new nuggets of information that will get you thinking and reviewing your own practice. The odd chapter may even get you questioning your own approach and philosophy.

You don’t need to be a lover or a student of the game to read Making the Ball Roll, in fact teachers, youth workers and other practitioners who have an interest in developing young people will find that this book has many strategies for them to use within their own practice.
Making the Ball Roll should be embraced as a tool box of valuable knowledge and experience being shared by Power to help the most experienced coaches or even those who have very little interest in football to vastly improve their practice of youth development.

The author of Making the Ball Roll has produced a chapter by chapter guide that covers many aspects of modern coaching methods including: sports psychology, the importance of age-relation in practice, coaching philosophy and technical, tactical and physical developments.

Between the covers of this thought provoking book you will gain knowledge on the beautiful game and much more.

So, why should you buy this book? It is a versatile, 5 star read, that is well written, thought provoking and evidence based.

Making the Ball Roll will help us to improve the game of football in the UK.

This review was originally published in issue 13 of studentofthegame.co.uk
on 9 September 2014
One of the best coaching books out there. Having studied Sport from High School to Degree level, I had heard of many of the theories out there to do with coaching, psychology and leadership but this books shows you how you can apply them to your football coaching, in a much simpler way than I've seen before.

A brilliant book, and a must read for any coach.

Can't recommend enough!
on 25 September 2014
Terrific content; wish I had read it a couple of years ago.

Very well written and researched. Clearly written by an authority on the topic. Brings together a lot of the content you'll come across reading other texts recommended to you on The FA Youth Module courses.

Highly recommended for any football coach serious about supporting their players development in all areas.
on 25 May 2014
This book is a must buy for anyone who is interested in vastly improving their coaching ideas and plans.Its not just for aspiring or experienced coaches but is a great read for anyone interested in football. I got the book on Friday and finished it today, it is very informative, well written and easy to follow. .
on 11 September 2014
An essential read for any youth football coach.
The real life experiences at the end of each chapter highlight the relevance of the topics covered in the book.
An easy read without a plethora of technical jargon, I struggled to put this book down.
on 28 August 2014
Buy this book! Absolutely crammed with useful tips and information that will make you rethink what you do and make you realise how innovative some of the ideas and analysis is
on 30 January 2015
As a coach of 6 years starting of as a coaching dad I thought I knew it all. I've always rated myself as a decent grassroots coach due to my enthusiasm. Making the Ball Roll has allowed me to further my boundaries.
I look at coaching kids from a entirely new angle. My enthusiasm has grown and my obsession has got worse.
Great read. All aspiring coaches should pick it up. And not put it down
on 2 July 2014
I've been coaching on and off for nearly ten years now and appreciate how the game has changed so much even in this short a time. To help me improve my knowledge and coaching of the game I read books written by experts who have also experienced the transition over the same time.
This book written by Ray is one of those - concise ideas, great stories and an excellent read - this will help me take on the challenges I face over the next few years and hopefully ensure I become a better coach for it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse