on 13 February 2012
Yes, if you have read GTD then you don't absolutely need to read this. There is a little bit more of the 'why' in this one, and slightly less of the 'how', but they both cover the same ground for the most part.

But reading this was better than re-reading GTD again, mainly because the newness of the words meant that I had to pay attention rather than skim. At the same time, reading it felt like coming home - I cringe to write this, but it's true. I don't enthuse over other self-help books, but David Allen is just great.
on 3 July 2009
I read Getting Things Done: How to Achieve Stress-free Productivity a couple of weeks before reading "Making It All Work". Getting Things Done was excellent and provided a thorough overview of David Allen's process and from that I created my own GTD system in about a week. I was hoping "Making It All Work" would take me to another level however I found most of it to be a rehash of Getting Things Done with a few additional stories. Not a bad book but a number of times whilst reading it I did wonder why I was bothering.
on 11 August 2010
The most difficult aspect of GTD, in my opinion, is getting perspective. Control is easy, just follow the work control flowchart of the original book, but this books elaborates more on the difficult stuff related to the six levels of perspectice; runway, 10,000ft, 20,000 ft, 30,000 ft, 40,000 ft and 50,000 ft. The matrix of control vs perspective is extremely useful, and the matrix is the core of the book.
on 4 August 2009
There is a useful rehash of some of the material in Getting Things Done, but Making it All Work is much easier to apply in practice.

As promised in the blurb I did find new strategies I have been able to use to improve the way I work and to apply the principles of Getting Things Done.

If the GTD system is new to you this is also a reasonable introduction to the principles before showing how they can be applied.
on 27 February 2013
No one can say that David Allen doesn't lay out a compelling argument for getting organised.

In some ways this book is an update to getting things done as much as it is a follow-up.

You can pick up everything in the book without any prior knowledge of the GTD methods and practices.

Highly recommended.
on 12 November 2008
David Allen's bestseller Getting Things Done (GTD) taught readers how to gain "focus, control and perspective." Simply put, this theory taught that if you organize your catalog of commitments and review it systematically, that process will relieve you of the stress and burden of having a chaotic to-do list constantly tugging at your consciousness. This positive self-management approach frees you to tap into your highest capabilities and experience true fulfillment. While the GTD method has attracted an international following, this follow-up doesn't quite bring it to the next level. Although it is coherent, cohesive and accessible, it relies a good bit on repetition and rehashes a lot of the original work, particularly in the first two chapters, where Allen sells the system. However, for followers who can't get enough of GTD, and for those who don't know it yet and hope to get organized, getAbstract recommends Allen's latest read, particularly the chapters where he articulates the five stages of control and the "horizons of focus."
on 21 April 2016
I first read Getting Things Done in 2002 and it literally saved my life. Everything was coming at me fast back then and in many ways, it hasn't stopped. I gave myself 10 years to fully implement Getting Things Done. I have fallen off the wagon many times since, but my approach to GTD and its integration into my life has matured a lot in the intervening time. With that in mind, a review of the book Making It All Work by guru David Allen!

Well, those familiar with the original Getting Things Done will recognise a lot of the ground that David Allen covers here. But it's much more than that: in the same way that I have personally grown into GTD over the past 14 years, the author has likewise deepened his insights about the subtle ways it all hangs together, reinforces itself and deepens your experience of the things in your life whatever that may be. As he says, he is not adding to or taking away from the first book, there is nothing to add. What he does in this book is works the angles more and develops the horizons in a little more of a sophisticated and mature way - I think this reflects Allen's personal journey in many ways and I have observed this as I have read his articles and other books over the years.

I would recommend this book to everyone who wants to manage their mind better, especially those things that are on our minds a lot and you don't know how to process it. I do believe that Allen has refined this model to such a level that it really is true for everyone and that it is as simple as it can get. There is no flab on GTD as presented in this book. As a process, it is remarkably flexible and will conform to the life of a pilot or CEO as much as it does to an 11 year old just starting high school. It really is that powerful.

It's the second time I have read this book now and is one I will probably read every year or so.

Read it, it may change your life. Indeed, Making It All Work might just be the ultimate self help book :)
on 2 January 2014
If you are looking for just one book by David Allen on GTD, this is the one to get. Although it doesn't go into as much detail as Getting Things Done on the GTD processes, it does a much better job of showing how things fit together.

If you have already read Getting Things Done, there might be some good additional info, but I am not sure if it justifies the extra cost in both money and time.
on 16 November 2013
This is one of the most read and re-read books I own, finding that different sections reveal useful insights at different times. It is written in a clear and lucid style and I came away with a much clearer and practical understanding of the phases of the GTD Workflow Process and how they fitted together; it also helped as a GTD 'HELP' manual when I got lost - so less 'down time' in my life and more done under difficult circumstances.
Having had a recent (Oct 2013) family bereavement, the GTD approach was of great practical use in getting the great amount of administration involved handled effectively and with clarity and sensitivity during a very stressful time. The Making It All Work's 'Gracey's Gardens' story is excellent. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to improve the management of their life, and get more done with less stress, especially in 'character-building' times!
on 2 August 2009
Truly life changing. I wish I had read it sooner! The 2 minutes rule has changed my work life and the full system is easy and boosts your productivity and confidence to levels beyond your imagination. Fantastic!