Anyone familiar with Zynga's Farmville understands how fun and addictive real-time social games can be. This hands-on guide shows you how to design and build one of these games from start to finish, with nothing but open source tools. You'll learn how to render graphics, animate with sprites, add sound, validate scores to prevent cheating, and more, using detailed examples and code samples.
- Use HTML5’s canvas element to build smooth animations with sprites
- Create an isometric grid pattern for high-performance graphics
- Design a GUI that works equally well on mobile devices and PCs
- Add sound to your game with HTML5’s audio element
- Implement the game’s path-finding function with WebWorkers
- Build a client data model on the server with PHP and MySQL
- Make your game come alive with dynamic CSS3 objects
About the Author
Andres Pagella is an accomplished software developer with more than 10 years of professional experience living in Capital Federal, Argentina. He has worked on the design and the implementation of several high traffic websites in Argentina. He currently works as the Chief Technical Officer of Minor Studios Argentina S.R.L. developing a social game design tool called Atmosphir.