on 3 June 2009
I think that Jillian Michaels is a wonderful inspiration to getting (or keeping) yourself healthy, active and fit. Making the Cut is full of all the information you need to know for a great body and changed mental attitude, her inspirational words help your mind focus on what is right and true for you and she really does help look and feel good on the inside as well as the outside.

The workouts are intense and really what I needed to loose those last few pounds. The reason that this is a 4* product for me is that the diet program is a little bit difficult converting all the America products to UK equivalents and for me (who is a balanced oxidizer) the diet didn't incorporate as many fruits and vegetables as I would normally like to eat. Additionally, the circuits sometimes end in Cardio workouts which involve a sprint for 60 secs, which unless you have your own treadmill at home (or a massive back-garden) can be tricky to do, also some of the strength moves are to be used with gym equipment. Another product which I would recommend for those who only have a mat and some weights is the 30 Day Shred DVD, as it has virtually the same exercises as in Making The Cut (although only a 20 min workout) which is easily done at home.

She stresses the need to a certain percentage of protein/carbs/fat for your body type, although I had to look elsewhere for the calculations to get the exact number of grams I needed to eat. I think that you certainly need to use this book with a cals/carb/fat/protein guide if you want to stick to the amounts rigidly as this book does not provide enough nutritional information. Unless of course you are able to follow her plan rigidly.

So all in all, I found the book really informative and great for my mental outlook with a intensive workout plan, however it is more geared towards the America market and therefore I found it difficult to follow the diet unconditionally, but there are ways to work around it.
44 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 September 2010
I recently bought this book and have read it cover to cover. Overall I found the book useful and informative and feel it could be beneficial to anyone with gym membership or access to gym equipment. I haven't yet started the programme but I felt it was necessary to point out the good and bad points of the book in general.
Good points
* It is structured nicely and gives you a good framework before entering the exercise section
* All meals and exercises are neatly planned out during the 30 day programme so there is little for you to calculate other than portion sizes
* The book is to the point and easy to read (I read the whole thing in an afternoon)

Bad points
* Meals are geared for the U.S. and recipes frequently cite brand names that are not available here so time must be spent searching for suitable alternatives
* There are no alternative food options so if you don't eat something on the menu there is no advice about what you could swap it for (however I'm guessing you can just pick something from the list of foods under purine levels)
* Some (not all, probably about 10-20%) of the exercises require equipment found in gyms rather than the home (work benches, machines with pulley systems, swiss balls, exercise balls etc) which limits what you can do in the home and again there is no advice about what you could do instead
* This is a minor point but the daily/weekly exercises and menus are not on separate pages so if you like to photocopy pages for each day's plan then some cutting and sticking will be required as the plans can go across two pages.
on 21 March 2014
The book itself seems concise and covers a good range, however the 'enhanced edition' is a waste of money as it doesn't work on an e-reader nor on the Kindle PC version. And there is no refund or exchange for the non enhanced version so don't waste your money like I did
on 8 November 2009
Good as a supplement to Fitness videos. Pretty comprehensive advice on diet, exercise and balancing it all out in a busy life. It requires some equipment and a lot of self-discipline, although the book addresses this very well to keep you motivated. In the end, that is what often makes the whole difference: a proper decision and then the will to follow it through. Recommended as a good-to-read advice book which can last you for longer than 30 days, definitely!
on 28 June 2013
Finally a book on losing weight that actually makes it clear that you have to work hard! And if you follow this plan you will be doing exactly that. Full of useful information about food, metabolism, supplements etc. I have lost a significant amount of body fat with this book (4%) and my weight has stayed exactly the same so burned a lot of fat! The workouts are hard but doable, the diet plan is almost impossible to follow to the letter if you live in the UK as we cannot get most foods but there is a list of food you can eat and formulas to work out your recommended calorie intake. So, with a bit of math you can make your own food plan with your favourite food. The book itself is very well written, straight to the point and laid out nicely. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone with a reasonable fitness level- I wouldn't buy it if you are an absolute beginner.
on 9 January 2011
There are some good points about this - the tips are useful, the individual exercises are good, and the recipes look very nice, and healthy. But it is in the putting it together that I don't think it holds up.
The recipes are resolutely American so not all ingredients are familiar - there are a lot of brand names that I don't know; and measurements are in cups with no European conversion. A small point is the meatball receipe which serves 10 but asks you to make 46 meatballs - how do you give people 4.6 meatballs each?
And the circuit routines mix the home exercises with gym based ones, with no indication of what to do if you do not go to a gym - do you just miss that bit out? If you are at a gym, even that may not be practical as it is circuit based, and a lot of gyms are so busy that once you are on a gym-station you stay on it till you are done rather than coming back to it. She mentions the back-extension machine - my gym doesn't have one (I know it can be done from the floor, but it is her assumption that grates with me.)And if I do go to the gym, I like to use what is there rather than doing 75% of the exercises on a mat in the corner and just a few visits to pieces of equipment. In short, I'm saying it's bitty and not logically structured to the average person's lifestyle.
Finally I would like to know the science behind the oxidisers analysis, which she says "we in the fitness industry like to use." there is no explanation of the three types and how they affect the body.
I like Jillan Michaels, i have the 30 day shred and enjoy using it, also I like The Biggest Loser USA. But I would not have bought this book if I had known more about it
on 7 January 2014
Very easy to read with lots of info. Diet looks good but the publishers should have brought an English version out as many products mentioned aren't available here
Exercise plan looks great but you will need a gym membership and I wish they had included pictures of all the exercises it takes ages to work out what to do by description
As with many kindle book versions the tables aren't always reproduced properly
on 20 December 2013
Love her honesty, clarity and no nonsense approach to health and fitness. She certainly knows her stuff and you certainly get your moneys worth and more. If you are serious about health and fitness then this is book you must read. Tough going but if you follow her guidelines it does actually work.
on 29 July 2013
It seems to be nice but I realised that I'm more of a "what do I want to eat today" rather than "what does she tell me to eat" so it's not really practical for me. As for the workouts, I prefer following her videos as I don't have to remember what I would have to do next.
on 17 September 2013
It's a good book, with lots of recipes and food plans. However, it is very difficult to use on the Kindle. I wish I had bought the actual book.