Format: Hardcover|Change

on 7 November 2011
I waited with baited breath for this book to arrive. I am absolutely thrilled with it. The cakes look amazing, and I am planning on cooking every single one! Even the vegan ones! There's a picture for every cake and I think thats important. I hate recipe books which promise 1001 recipes and then only give you 2 line variations! A total fob off! This book is great.
on 11 November 2011
I did not consider pre ordering this book as I already own all of the Hummingbird, Primrose, Magnolia and Crabapple bakery books and thought that this would have nothing new to offer, I was wrong!!!!

Split into four sections it has so many different recipes I gave into temptation eventually!!

Lighter Side of Decadance: features, Pear and Olive Oil, Granola and Yoghurt, Manuka Honey, Ginger Lemon, vegan Red Velvet, Lemon Coconut, Acai Berry Superfood, Mango Berry Swirl, Pumpkin Cinnamon, Blueberry White Chocolate, Cherry Chocolate, Vanilla Cherry Blossom, Passionfruit Meringue, Marmalade Mallow, and Gluten Free Orange Chocolate.

Over The Top: features, Caramel Biscotti, Peanut Butter and Jelly, Elvis (peanut butter and banana), Hi-Hat Marshamllow, S'mores, Butterscotch Pie, Chocolate Marshmallow, Cookie Dough, Dark Chocolate truffle, Pistachio Chocolate Chip, Hazelnut Praline, Fudge Brownie, Chocolate Sundae, Melted Bento, Caramel Apple Muesli, Pecan Pie, Vanilla Chocolate Rainbow, Rainbow Velvet, Macadamia White Chocolate Cheesecake, Chocolate Cheesecake, Sticky Toffee, Toffee Apple, Salted Caramel, and Cinnamon Twist.

Lets Have a Cuppa: features, Masala Chai Tea, Cappuccino Wafer, Gingerbread Latte, Chocolate Matcha, Mint Hot Chocolate, Espresso Tiramisu, Boozy Fun, Cosmo, and Chocolate Baileys.

Finally Always Favourites: featuring, Carrot, Chocolate, Vanilla, Banana, Vanilla milk Chocolate, Red Velvet, Lemon, Rocky Road, Vegan Cookies and Cream, Chocolate Milk, Strawbwrry, Coconut and Lime, Peanut Butter and Banana Chocolate.

All of my favourites were in there, plus some new ones too.

This book gives recipes in both grams and american cup measurements. The majority of ingredients are English, although some US ones do sneak in such as marshmallow fluff and canned pumpkin puree. As a previous poster said these recipes make a considerable amount of batter and frosting, but I think they give finished numbers of cupcakes with the trend to make muffin sized cupcakes in mind, rather than the smaller 'fairy' size.

I also like that all recipes have a photo and most of the cupcakes have a filling in them. This mixed with some really different recipes mean I give this book 5/5
on 6 March 2013
I first tried a Lola's cupcake at Bluewater and I fell in love with all the quirky flavours. I've had so much fun using the book and the cupcakes just come out perfect. I took the Chocolate Banana ones to uni with me one day and everyone now keeps asking me what flavour I'm doing next and when I'll be bringing more. I'm as amateur a cook as you can get so if I can make great cupcakes from the book then anyone can. If you love cupcakes and the weird and wonderful then this is the book for you.
on 11 May 2014
Just get it. Everything I've tried has been superb. The chocolate truffle ones are to die for. There are lots of toppings that don't use buttercream, which I can't bring myself to eat, as it seems frightfully unhealthy to eat so much fat and sugar. I made one batch and was shocked at the quantity of butter and sugar involved, so I gave them all away, to friends who thought they were delicious, and now avoid buttercream recipes, and will simply adapt those using marscapone.
on 27 October 2015
I bought this book specifically for the creamcheese frosting, because nowhere else does it like Lola's- I've tried and tested red velvet frosting in so many places, and Lola's beats every one. As soon I bought this electronically, I attempted the red velvet cupcakes. I thought the pictures look great and the layout was ok; it didn't have extra pictures to show you how things should look as you go along. It would be easier to have titled sections on the contents page to locate recipes more easily. However, I later realised that this exists on some devices but not on my iPad which I find easier to use in the kitchen. I am giving this 3 stars because the creamcheese frosting recipe uses too much icing sugar that the frosting does not set, no matter how long it's in the fridge, and is too sloppy to pipe on the cupcakes. For another recipe with a mascarpone-based frosting, I used less icing sugar and the frosting was firm enough and tasted delicious. On the flipside, the cake recipes were spot on and tasted just like they do in their shops.
on 10 November 2011
Bought this book straight away and have loved baking from it every weekend (and some week nights!) since. I have tried about 5 or 6 receipes so far and plan on baking and giving as xmas presents - the Gingerbread Latte smells of Christmas!. I have found some recipes are very generous especially if you just have a standard size cake tray, you could easily make nearer 20 cakes from most recipes, the same with the icings. They have all so far tasted delcious and turned out wonderfully, some are much richer than others but you would expect that from recipes such as fudge brownie cupcakes. The cookie dough involes making a cookie dough mixture to place inside the cake which again is gernous in quanity and is very tasty to keep in the fridge and snack on!.
My only suggestion for people wanting to bake from this book is sometimes (for time saving purposes)I would have had the method in a different order. A few of the recipes involve fillings or icing which need to be put in the fridge for an hour or two before using so I found it more efficent to make these first and then bake the cupcakes while they chilled (the icing and fillings method usual comes after that of the cupcake, which is fine for most recipes allowing time to bake and cool).
Overall I love and enjoy this book very much and love being able to eat a Lola's cupcake everyday!
on 28 July 2012
I am absolutely thrilled with this book. I am an avid cupcake baker and have tried several different cupcake recipe books. This is by far one of the best - exciting recipes which are easy to follow and the ingredients are easily sourced here in the Republic of Ireland . I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in creating tasty and beautiful to look at cupcake delights. Thank you to everyone at Lola's for sharing their knowledge with us!
on 23 December 2012
Unusual recipes but my goodness what a long list of ingredients. The best vanilla cupcakes I make have about 4 ingredients they use about 10 just to start of with the basic mix. But still a good little gift when reasonably priced like I payed. Haven't made anything from it yet as need to gear myself up for thei ingredients. I think it would be worth looking thorugh one in store first! :-)
on 27 December 2014
I am extremely disappointed with this book.The book was promoted on a TV programme where the emphasis was on Vegan Cup Cakes. Imagine my disappointment as a vegan of 45 years to receive this book to find ingredients like butter, cream, eggs, yogurt etc . Certainly not conducive to a vegan diet .
on 6 December 2012
As I'm really into baking I bought this book as a present for me from my husband.
I had a quick flick through in a shop and really wanted it.
The pictures themselves look amazing so I'm looking forward to trying the recipes as my primrose bakery book is getting exhausted now.