on 11 March 2001
Miller's book tells a story of Magnum, probably the best-known photo journalist agency ever. He provides an in-depth picture of this fabulous group of photographers, their motivations, principles, differences and temperamental quarrels. Out of any collection of most powerful documentary photographs of the second half of the 20th century, it is more than likely that a large majority will be by Magnum photographers. This book shows us the people behind those photographs: unconventional, often egocentric, but always brilliant photographers. With many of them telling their story in their own words, the book is a great reading for any would-be photo-journalist and for everyone taking a deeper interest in photography. My only objection is that the book could have included more photographs (there are only 13).
on 23 April 2014
I'm generally a big fan of the work of Magnum photographers anyway, so in truth this book was always going to appeal to me.

But it's well written, well-researched (well, from an outsiders point of view), humorous, and includes some fascinating interviews with some real characters of the photographic world.

I brought this as a book on holiday, and I didn't want to put it down. Anyone who wants a readable guide to the founding, and adventures of the members of Magnum photos will love it.
on 28 August 2015
very good for the history of this mythical photo agency
on 19 January 2016